Author Topic: avast 4.8 (or 5.0) and microsoft security essentials  (Read 4426 times)

B_in Ohio

avast 4.8 (or 5.0) and microsoft security essentials
« on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »
Does anyone know if avast 4.8 (or 5.0) and microsoft security essentials will play nice together if they are on the same machine?  Either way, both running (probably don't need that) or one in use and one 'off' but on the drive.

Thanks.

Iangho

Re: avast 4.8 (or 5.0) and microsoft security essentials
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:52 AM »
I went for Avast and Avira (scanner only).

Avast provides real-time, Avira does scheduled scans and in conjunction with Orbit downloader Avira automatically scans downloads.

Avira scan is a lot faster than MSE.

Ian

pinnacle

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 02:58:06 AM »
YEP!!! I equate using two Anti-Virus programs at the same time, the same as lighting up a Cigar with a blow torch while pumping fuel in your Automobile. BANG!!!!!!!!

sded

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »
I used MSE along with Avast! 5 at times during beta testing without problems, but they are similar enough functionally that there is no guarantee there will never be problems.

Sesame

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
Pondus and pinnacle are right.  The below is what Vlk had to say during beta-testing.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48496.msg409742#msg409742
It works with MSE (meaning that it doesn't freeze the system etc). However, as always, running 2 AV's at the same time can have negative / unexpected consequences. That is, the efficient protection of 2 AV's can actually be lower than the protection provided by any of the two AV's separately.