Author Topic: Avast 4.8 just found Win32:Malware-gen in RootRepeal.exe  (Read 8809 times)

Jack 1000

Re: Avast 4.8 just found Win32:Malware-gen in RootRepeal.exe
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »
Could 4.8 have picked up a false posititve based on the OP's issues that 5.0 fixed on its own?

Jack

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
1. Yes it has been acknowledged as an FP which has been corrected internally and will be released on a VPS Update.

Quote from: sparge
I still can't get Anubis to make sense of the exes though. It says:

"Unfortunately your file could not be executed. Either your file is not a valid Windows executable or some of its startup-dependencies have not been met."

2. you shouldn't have uploaded a .zip file to anubis, just the .exe file that was detected.
It is looking at the zip file in its entirety as a single file. It doesn't extract or scan the contents it isn't designed for that, it analyses a single file you upload, that is why it is saying it isn't a valid windows executable.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:12:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sparge

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »
David,

We seem to have a communication issue here. I would characterize it as you over-inferring. Maybe it's just you answering hurriedly.

Quote from: sparge
'Do not tell me about these files in the future,'

1) If you want to paraphrase what I said, Quote is not the right tool. Quote means exactly that - what was said, not what someone else inferred or paraphrased from it. Misusing Quote like that makes it a meaningless feature of discourse. It's not even a good paraphrase. I just asked if it was a FP.

2) Even when do you Quote, it seems you don't Read. I said:

"I still can't get Anubis to make sense of the exes though"

and you said I shouldn't have uploaded a zip file?!? I uploaded an exe file. That's why I called it an exe. And Anubis said what it said about the exe that I uploaded. About both of them actually; the originally-installed one, and the one that mysteriously appeared in C:\windows\temp. So my question remains a valid one. Why can't Anubis make sense of these exes? Might, for example, Avast! have subtly changed something in the process of putting them into the chest and taking them out again?

Andy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
1. edited my post, looks like my copy and paste of what I wanted didn't take and ended up with my previous copy.

2. forgive me for being busy and wasting your time trying to help you, I know how to reduce that load.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:15:38 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security