Author Topic: Avast 5 - email account, non-SSL, can't connect  (Read 21303 times)

ccgordon1

Avast 5 - email account, non-SSL, can't connect
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
I'm running Avast 5.0.396 Free on Vista64 SP2. I have 3 email accounts, 2 IMAP SSL (993), 1 IMAP non-SSL (143). In Thunderbird 3.0.1, the SSL accounts connect correctly but the non-SSL account doesn't. If I disable the email shield, the non-SSL account connects immediately. When I re-enable the shield, it stays connected, checks for new messages etc.

In the mail log, after I start Thunderbird, I see the following:
1/31/2010   3:12:54 PM   000013A0:   Cannot establish SSL, SSL_connect error 10054
1/31/2010   3:13:39 PM   00001020:   Cannot establish SSL, SSL_connect error 38

I have 2 other XP boxes where everything, including the non-SSL account, works correctly.

Any suggestions, information, etc. gratefully appreciated.

bizzarojerry

Re: Avast 5 - email account, non-SSL, can't connect
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:08:08 AM »
This is also happening to me as well.

I have 5 email accounts with my ISP and none of them work BUT I also have added my works pop3 server and that has no problems downloading mail from that server. My avast 5 install also blocked newsgroup traffic as well ... both email and newgroup services are NOT SSL and are running on standard ports.

As soon as I uninstalled avast 5, everything went to normal. I hope they fix this bug very soon (if it is one, never had problem with avast 4 series)

OH, am currently using thunderbird 3.01 and Alt.Binz 0.28.2 and windows 7, with nothing but the windows native firewall
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:12:01 AM by bizzarojerry »

garybarnes

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:35:08 AM »
I have upgraded Avast on two computers with Thunderbird 3, and there is absolutely no noubt that there is a problem here.
Avast will allow TB3 to work if you remove the account from the SSL Accounts list in the Mail Shield Exper settings, but will then add it back in. This has beeing going on for months now, it's about time it was fixed.

bizzarojerry

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
I reinstalled 4.8 .. used it for the last few months ... no problemo

Went back to 5, the latest version the issue is still there ... removed it and when back to 4.8 .... i think its time to look for another product ... perhaps AVG or something else out there will be a suitable replacement. I can understand why they give the software out for free to home users to give them a taste of the product but if the experience is sour they better move like at lighting speed to fix it lest they are turned off by it altogether.

sded

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »
Sort of a mix of questions, some of which have been answered already.  What is your OS and Firewall.  Which build of Avast! 5 are you using?  Tell us about your system and your ISP and what your TB setup looks like.  I use TB 2.23 with IMAP, POP, SMTP for a couple of different mail systems with no problem.   Have also used 3.01, but there are some unresolved other issues there still.  Does your ISP use SSL or TLS and on what ports? Basic instructions are to turn SSL/TLS off in TB, use 143 for IMAP, 110 for POP, 587 for SMTP.  Do all 3 fail to work?   As far as newsgroups, how do you have your newsreader configured?  I use Agent (unencrypted) with no problems, but binary grabbers may have other issues.  How do you have the Mail (and NNTP) shield configured in expert settings?  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:39:47 PM by sded »

mmaammaa

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
Hello

I encountered the same problem with Avast 5.xx it blocked port 993 "for specifc IMAP4 servers" and whitelisting the latter had not effect (AVAST autodetected gmail.com and ac.uk as ok, but not the one in question, eximap.mds.ad.dur.ac.uk (youd expect that come under ac.uk) which if you ping resolves to exdurf.mds.ad.dur.ac.uk or exdurf.dur.ac.uk (both of which youd expect to go under ac.uk). Tried also the 129.234.251.193 and nothing. It was the avast that became available last Friday in English at cnet: 5.0.462. I reverted to my old copy of avast 4.7 and now all is working. This small problem caused a lot of wasted time

m.

chuckev

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
I have upgraded Avast on two computers with Thunderbird 3, and there is absolutely no noubt that there is a problem here.
Avast will allow TB3 to work if you remove the account from the SSL Accounts list in the Mail Shield Exper settings, but will then add it back in. This has beeing going on for months now, it's about time it was fixed.

My solution was similar. Installing upgrade changed my IMAP to "SSL" when it really wasn't. This caused Avast to block IMAP syncing. 
Go to Mail Shield Expert Settings, in the SSL Tab, change IMAP to "none" and viola(or violin)!

spirit lives

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
NOTE: IT WORKS!!!

Just put in the Account Name tab, your email address of that account ie johnsmith@example.com POP3 995 SSL

Hope this helps :)

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »
Would an upgrade to Avast 6 also help?  Avast 5 is old. and I think 4.8 has been discontinued.

Jack

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
just to inform... the first 5 posts are from 2010    ;)

Dodgy Geezer

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »

What you need to have done is set the outgoing and incoming security in thunderbird to none so that avast can then handle the security for you, then avast will automatically put the accounts back in the mail shield when you send and recieve mail, those POP's and SMTP that were set to SSL are supposed to be there.

Why are you running TB 2 and 3 when the latest version is now 9.1 i believe 

Thunderbird already has outgoing and incoming security set to none. Always had. I have made no change in settings - my email just stopped one day. It's running ok now with the POPs and SMTPs set to NONE. If I set them back, it fails again...

I just liked TB 3. And it works. Or did....

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »

What you need to have done is set the outgoing and incoming security in thunderbird to none so that avast can then handle the security for you, then avast will automatically put the accounts back in the mail shield when you send and recieve mail, those POP's and SMTP that were set to SSL are supposed to be there.

Why are you running TB 2 and 3 when the latest version is now 9.1 i believe 

Thunderbird already has outgoing and incoming security set to none. Always had. I have made no change in settings - my email just stopped one day. It's running ok now with the POPs and SMTPs set to NONE. If I set them back, it fails again...

I just liked TB 3. And it works. Or did....
Please stick to your other thread as this one is old and the last recent posts had already been from here and will be again.