Author Topic: worse virus ever  (Read 12169 times)

hungrylilboy

Re:worse virus ever
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 09:13:48 PM »
sorry been away.

1)my pc was fully up to date with windows update. This mean that the windows fix doesnt work?

2)i lost all my mp3 and avi file

3)i was looking for the netmeeting file, conf.exe and couldnt find it anywhere on google, so did end up using kazaa. Big mistake I know. (by formatting, i do have my real conf.exe back though!  ;D) (just looked again to try and get a hash but cant find it. Had about 15 users, was "correctly" labelled - at least one person had anyway)

4)please can this be added as this is the nasiest virus i have ever encountered

5)sorry again for stressing earlier. Bit hard losing all that work (oh forgot to say that most of the mp3 were my own work)

6)avast! definately got infected. Think it was one of the first, because as soon as I realised I had somehing wrong, I tried to open it and it opened a c prompt and crashed.

7)avast! was running properly before this

8) i dont use p2p much but i though avast! was set to automatically scan them?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 09:15:52 PM by hungrylilboy »

whocares

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 09:16:05 PM »
If you haven't already done so you should patch a vulnerability which this virus exploits.

Hi david,

I didn't find any info on vulnerabilities related to AXON.B:
could you post a link ?

Kobra

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 09:58:03 PM »
Always the lesser common ones I run into..  Some kid pulling something off a VX site, then dropping it into a file and thinking hes funny.

I seldom run into ITW's, so I consider 1-4 year old threats to be my nemesis..  Even ones considered extinct I run into quite often!

hungrylilboy

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 11:01:14 PM »
hmm i just read on a site that compares and tests anti virus progs, that avast failed...why?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 11:29:11 PM »
If you haven't already done so you should patch a vulnerability which this virus exploits.

Hi david,

could you post a link ?

Now you asking, I started on  google search and expanded from their, this is where I started. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.axon.b.html

Then here http://www.esecurityplanet.com/alerts/article.php/3351651 and the info that I posted is at the bottom of the page.

David

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hungrylilboy

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »

Hi david,

could you post a link ?

Now you asking, I started on  google search and expanded from their, this is where I started. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.axon.b.html

Then here http://www.esecurityplanet.com/alerts/article.php/3351651 and the info that I posted is at the bottom of the page.

David

i have been looking around found it as W32.Axon.B and
Win32.HLLP.Riaz.

But  the only AV that seems to find it is norton. Even NOD32 doesnt have it listed. Is there another name for it?

Tipton

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 11:33:17 PM »

Sorry to hear about your virus issue. But trust me when I say that this is far from being the nastiest virus. The nastiest virus is the one that infects your motherboard bios, and turns your system into a paper weight untill you replace the motherboard. At least you are able to re-format and re-install.

Might I also offer some advice? Get yourself some imaging software. You could have had this fixed in no time. I use my AV for scanning files I download from the net, and thats it. If I get a virus, I restore to a clean/stable image, instead of rely on an AV for that. I create images all the time, and worse case scenerio, I may lose a day or two of work by having to install an image. I always scan with Avast first, then a couple online scanners before I create an image and consider it clean.

Douglas
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 11:38:02 PM by Tipton »

hungrylilboy

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 11:36:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about your virus issue. But trust me when I say that this is far from being the nastiest virus. The nastiest virus is the one that infects your motherboard bios, and turns your system into a paper weight untill you replace the motherboard. At least you are able to re-format and re-install.

Might I also offer some advice? Get yourself some imaging software. You could have had this fixed in no time. I use my AV for scanning files I download from the net, and thats it. If I get a virus, I restore to a clean/stable image, instead of rely on an AV for that. I create images all the time, and worse case scenerio, I may lose a day or two of work by having to install an image.

Douglas

such as? program i mean

Tipton

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »

Might I also offer some advice? Get yourself some imaging software. You could have had this fixed in no time. I use my AV for scanning files I download from the net, and thats it. If I get a virus, I restore to a clean/stable image, instead of rely on an AV for that. I create images all the time, and worse case scenerio, I may lose a day or two of work by having to install an image.

Douglas

such as? program i mean

I use Acronis True Image.

http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2004, 12:00:05 AM »
Other options are PowerQuest's Drive Image, I have DI2002 but I believe the latest version of True Image is more flexible.

I don't know about the latest version of drive image, it has probably advanced since my 2002 version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security