Author Topic: Upgrade did not work  (Read 3915 times)

Classic

Upgrade did not work
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:56:27 PM »
I've had 4.8 for a while with no problems. The software worked fine when it was free. Then the "your trial is about to expire" message started popping up, and Avast became more annoying than the Spyware it blocks.

The software did a good job, so I decided to buy a license.

I installed 5.0, and now neither works.

The summary screen shows "UNSECURED" in bold red letters. I click "Fix now" and nothing happens.

Beneath that, a message saying the antivirus has stopped. I click "Start program" and nothing happens.

When I click the Real-Time Shield tab, it says Protection Status: UNKNOWN. I click "Start" and it says "Unable to start the File System Shield! Shield unreachable"

I don't mind expiring free trials. But if you're going to harass people to upgrade with intrusive pop-ups, the least you can do is make upgrading seamless.

I've rebooted a couple times and tried to uninstall 4.8 and reinstall. Same result. What's my next move here? I'm on Windows 7 by the way.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:58:21 PM by Classic »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Upgrade did not work
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:01:45 PM »
Have you tried the uninstall tools and then a reinstall of avast 5

avast 4.8 remover http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
avast 5.0 remover http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe

Classic

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »
I have to download 2 more files and uninstall to update the software that was already working? Seriously?

Classic

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:09:11 PM »
"How to uninstall our software using aswClear.exe:

1. Download aswClear.exe on to your desktop
   2. Start Windows in Safe Mode
   3. Open (execute) the uninstall utility
   4. If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
   5. Click REMOVE
   6. Restart your computer"

lol I have to start windows in SAFE MODE to uninstall a previously working trial to upgrade to the pro? This is ridiculous. I was a big supporter of Avast, but I can no longer recommend this to anyone. The intrusive pop-ups should have been a huge red flag not to deal with this company.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
I have to download 2 more files and uninstall to update the software that was already working? Seriously?
Seriously.........sorry for trying to help..

Classic

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
I didn't mean to lash out at you. I'm upset at Avast, not you. Thanks for your reply, and I sincerely apologize.

Hopismum

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
Hi Classic.  The trial  is good for 1 year, then you can register again and get another year.  Have you tried doing so?  You can do so directly thru 5.0 now.  Click Maintenance then Registration.

Classic

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
I just uninstalled both (thanks again Pondus)

connie, I'm considering re-installing 4.8 and getting a refund for 5. I never got 5 to work and don't want to risk it messing up 4.8 again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »
Your choice, but 5.0 is much better than 4.8 and there is more help here than you can shake a stick at to help get avast 5.0 Pro installed. But this pdf file would be worth reading, http://www.avast.com/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security