Author Topic: I cant update definitions : "The package is broken"  (Read 4046 times)

Damage Inc

I cant update definitions : "The package is broken"
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:48:50 PM »
Hi,

whenever avast 5 free tries to update it fails. When i try to update manualy it fails also. I get the "Last encountered error: The package is broken". What can I do?

Current version of definitions is 100204-0 released 4.2.2010 at 09:09:41 and program version is 5.0.396. My os is up to date win 7 x64. If I click update program I get the same error.

How can I solve this problem? Please help.

demigh0d

Re: I cant update definitions : "The package is broken"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:02:28 AM »
Make sure your firewall isn't blocking connections from Avast.

I had the same issue recently and finally figured out that's what was causing my problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:19 AM »
@ Damage Inc
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PAL10

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:22:06 AM »
   Damage....did you get a blue screen crash when or after avast tried to update. I am running Win 7 64 bit and am having a similar problem. It would blue screen during or right after avast would update at bootup. After reboot avast 5 would seem to be working but would not update. When tring to update def`s or program would get a message ...package is broken. I tried repairs but did not work. I got 5 to work only by removing and re-installing avast 5. This happened 3 times.....now I seem to be working ok by turning off auto updates. In settings .....engine & virus def........I changed it to....Ask when a update is avaiable. I also unchecked ....use special graphic effects. When I boot up I wait a while then do updates manually. So far no BSOD and avast 5 seems to be working ok. You might try this....you never know. I`m going to hobble along like this and see if they get things sorted out......Peter

Damage Inc

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »
   Damage....did you get a blue screen crash when or after avast tried to update. I am running Win 7 64 bit and am having a similar problem. It would blue screen during or right after avast would update at bootup. After reboot avast 5 would seem to be working but would not update. When tring to update def`s or program would get a message ...package is broken. I tried repairs but did not work. I got 5 to work only by removing and re-installing avast 5. This happened 3 times.....now I seem to be working ok by turning off auto updates. In settings .....engine & virus def........I changed it to....Ask when a update is avaiable. I also unchecked ....use special graphic effects. When I boot up I wait a while then do updates manually. So far no BSOD and avast 5 seems to be working ok. You might try this....you never know. I`m going to hobble along like this and see if they get things sorted out......Peter
Yes, this is what happened to me. Only solution was removal and reinstalling avast 5. Im a avast user for years and this is the first time i needed to uninstal it because of avast error. I might overlook this problem once or twice more, then im installing other free av until they fix this :-\