Author Topic: Behaviour Shield Questions  (Read 6690 times)

andy675

Behaviour Shield Questions
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
Hi,

I am unable to find a FULL explanation as too what the "Behavior Shield" actually does.

Could someone please advise the correct answer.......is it like Threatfire (behavior blocker)...is there any malware (like Eicar) that we can use too see it in action.....?

Many thanks

XP SP3      avast Free      WinPatrol Plus

Hermite15

Re: Behaviour Shield Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
Hi,

it's been asked a million times, nobody really knows, and there are different theories. I've personally uninstalled it as it's completely inoperative anyway on 64 bit systems. My best guess is that shield can "call home" to describe malware behavior, so that Avast can analyze that and react as appropriate in upcoming updates...just guessing  ;)

andy675

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
Thanks for your reply......

HOWEVER, could someone from Avast please respond to my initial questions. They were not difficult & it is only fair to get a proper response. I do not wish to disable the shield & potentially weaken my security.

Someone developed the "Behavior Shield" for a reason  & I seek to understand its purpose.

Many thanks

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
then good luck  ;D

andy675

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
Thanks but I/We should not need luck.

Could VLK or developer or someone PLEASE respond.

Many thanks

greenhatch

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
The good luck wish is well intended. Others have asked and even I have fished but no precise information from Alwil yet. I'm very interested too :)

andy675

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
?????

andy675

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
could someone please respond to the questions

olddog

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:22:16 AM »
Andy675,

There is no doubt that the behaviour shield does something, even if that "something" so far appears to have only been identified as some of the various problems it seems to cause, like one I posted about it preventing me printing from secure pages to my PDF printer in IE7, but not in Firefox. That post received no responses.

There are a lot of posts with queries as to what the behaviour shield is supposed to do, whether it blocks or doesn't block, what is its relationship to the community setting - some users have made guesses, but significantly there seems to have been no definitive comment by Avast.

I even sent an email to VLK some days ago, asking him whether he could clear up some of the confusion, but that too so far remains unanswered.

andy675

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.

Regrettably......I give up.

Thanks again

anjandavid

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »
hello.

i have the same question what is the activity of behaviour shield?? previously i have occurred this in this forum. But i can't find any suitable answere..

thank u..

English is bad..sorry

Fract504

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
I tried the keylogger test from http://www.zemana.com/DE/keylogger_test.aspx
and Avast 5 Behavior Shield did not detect anything nor showing any event in the statistics.
Maybe it does not detect keyloggers... Who knows... ....

I am not satisfied with the current information regarding that specific avast 5 component  :-\

2nd base

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure it operates much like Winpatrol in the fact that it monitors changes to files on a computer. Now, whether it makes the user or Avast! or both aware of the change is questionable. If it allows or blocks any changes is also up for question as well, assuming that this is what it does. That's as close as I can come to it......

olddog

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
VLK, Igor, how about some input from you.

Derelict_AZ

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »
I think it is being used to emulate an executable's behavior to determine if it is malicious or not. Because the activity is so low perhaps it is only called upon when the traditional checks done by the other shields is inconclusive. I think there are similar things being done in other vendor's recent products, for example F-Secure's DeepGuard.

Only the devs know for sure and their lack of response to any posts about the Behavior Shield lead me to think they want to keep it under wraps... at least for now.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:24:46 AM by Derelict_AZ »