Author Topic: Avast! firewall cannot be started  (Read 15411 times)

Melvincz

Avast! firewall cannot be started
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
Hello,
I've purchased Avast! 5 Internet Security, reinstalled the Avast! 5 Pro and restarted computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit). After coming back Avast is working but firewall can't be started. I've tried to turn off the Windows firewall but no change. Second reboot - no changes, still it shows a message box saying "The following component could not be started: firewall".
What should I do to fix that? Firewall was the reason why I upgraded to Internet Security!

Radek

Hermite15

Re: Avast! firewall cannot be started
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
strange, I've tried it on the same operating system and it started normally. Attempt a repair of the install of IS through the uninstall launcher in programs and features...
 On a side note, it's too late now but you should have tried the software before buying it, at least to get used to the interface first... if you did, ignore this  ;)

Melvincz

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
I'm completely satisfied with the program, just would like to set it up completely :)
One thing to note - I'm behind a proxy. May that be an issue? Do I need to put any credentials somewhere in the application settings?

Thanks,

Radek

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
I'm completely satisfied with the program, just would like to set it up completely :)
One thing to note - I'm behind a proxy. May that be an issue? Do I need to put any credentials somewhere in the application settings?

Thanks,

Radek

;D not sure, as this setting only concerns avast updates, anyway if you want to change this, disable UAC first, otherwise this won't work. Reboot, go back to avast >>> main settings, updates tab >>> see proxy settings at the bottom...change to what you want...now you can reactivate UAC and reboot one more time.

Melvincz

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
UAC is disabled completely on my machine. I'll try to reinstall first.

Thanks,

Radek

Melvincz

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
Ok, no success. I've used Avast5 removal tool, restarted, clean installation, all seems ok. After restart all modules are working correctly except the Firewall. Still the same issue. What to do next?

Radek

Melvincz

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
I'm also getting app crashes when in Advanced settings for Firewall module. May that be related?

Radek

Melvincz

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »
I don't see "avast Firewall service" being installed. May that be an issue?
I have seen that Beta version had some issues with not signed drivers. However I haven't seen any message when installing the RTM product.

How to correctly install the firewall?

Radek

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
OK this is a bit crazy  :D firewall service not installed, it can't happen unless you dismissed it during a custom setup of avast IS...again, go to the program and features interface (Windows) and do a repair: check that all components are ticked, including the firewall, and fire up the process... Sorry I have no better idea...

Melvincz

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
I'm sure all the options have been ticked. However firewall service is not running (listed in the Services list). I don't know whether it has been installed correctly or not (I've use wrong term in previous message). Would that be a solution to install the AIS in safe mode?

Radek

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
I'm sure all the options have been ticked. However firewall service is not running (listed in the Services list). I don't know whether it has been installed correctly or not (I've use wrong term in previous message). Would that be a solution to install the AIS in safe mode?

Radek

I don't see "avast Firewall service" being installed. May that be an issue?
I have seen that Beta version had some issues with not signed drivers. However I haven't seen any message when installing the RTM product.

How to correctly install the firewall?

Radek

humm... didn't you say the FW service wasn't installed at all ??? that it's there not running is another story, and we're back to the starting point of this thread...can't see any reason why it shouldn't start, unless you got other security software blocking it...and no, you can't install nor run Avast 5 in safe mode.

Melvincz

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »
Ok, I've uninstalled NCP (VPN client) and reinstalled Avast again from scratch. Now the firewall service is in the list of services, but not running. I've tried to run but the service has exited immediately. Also avast NDIS filter is now attached to local connection adapter and wifi adapter. That's fine, just to start the service finally!
Any ideas?

Regards,

Radek

cpd915

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »
I have the very same issue with my version 5 as well. No matter what I've tried it still doesn't have the firewall service even listed in services. I ticked everything when I installed it so I too don't know what else to do at this point.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »
Check out changes in recent new Beta build 5.0.492. Maybe upgrade. Also can Repair and Install in Safe Mode.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0

Also, look at this post  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58080.msg490038#msg490038

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58080.msg489585#msg489585
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:07:18 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

nlsteffens

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 03:30:47 AM »
This fixed the firewall problem for me:

- Uninstall the existing version of Avast!
- Download the latest version and install

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nick