Author Topic: 5 Pro - License file format?  (Read 24644 times)

slybo

Re: 5 Pro - License file format?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »
Ok, I have 3 computers, One xp and two vista, I will try it on one vista and see how it goes. That is probably all the time I will have till next month. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help so far.

slybo

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
OK got it to work but need to explain to help others. First uninstalled 4.8 then restart. Ran 4.8 remover but did not select file path and it left some stuff in avast folder so redone with selecting avast 4 folder. Also ran ccleaner includeing the registry cleaner. Turned off windows defender. Have no other virus or spyware programs running. Use windows firewall because behind linksys router with firewall. This is vista sp2. Before hand copy and paste the test of the email for license into notepad and made two files one with extension txt and the other avastlic. When installing 5 it had a place to insert license file so I used the avastlic and it failed to take it. But the installation went ahead and completed but it then told me my license was expired. When making the license file remembered another post that said if there was a blank line at the bottom to remove it so I did. Tried to open the avastlic and avast would not let. So I opened the txt file because I remembered that was extra text at the top that said something like thank you for purchasing avast. So I thought I should remove that and so I did and saved it as a txt file. Went to the avast and inserted the file and it accepted it. So you must remove the junk at the top and bottom of the email file to make the license file. So turned windows defender back on and have restarted sveral times and no problems. Will let you know if I do. Have only one question I have left everything at default. With 4.8 I made a lot of changes like marking ignore virus targeting. Does avast team think I should leave defaults or make changes, just not sure because of problems posted here and maybe I would be asking for problems. Thank you for your help.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
Guys, can you please retry the license resend form?
We did some changes on the backend so that the license file is not attached as text/plain anymore (so the mail client shouldn't even think about rendering it inline in the message body).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

slybo

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »
I tried it for my second computer and got the same results, no attachment just text in the body of the email. I have AOL email, maybe it just has not caught up with avast. Will try again later. At least if it does not work I can make it work. Will not upgrade from Pro 4.8 to Pro 5.0 on this computer till tomorrow.

bhelm22

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
Avast support or sales (I emailed them both) sent my license as a proper attachment which I could download and it worked great!

I compared the working one with the one I had made by copy and pasting from my email and they both had the exact same amount of lines (and yes, I was careful to not have extra spaces at the end of any lines). The only difference in the files were the one I C&P'd from the email was missing some colons and a couple of /'s...

note: the filename of the attachment was License.avastlic - I had tried license.avastlic so I doubt that it was a filenaming problem

slybo

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
Did all three computers I  have but all emails did not have an attachment. Had to do copy and paste into notepad and name the file with avastlic extension. But that did great. One of them I did use a txt extension. But as I said got no attachment from the emails just text in the body of the email. Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »
Again, what email client are you guys using? We'd like to simulate (and fix) the problem here...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

slybo

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
I have AOL email.

dadsgirl

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 03:56:41 AM »
My dad uses Yahoo email like the OP and when he converted his key from v4 to v5 he also got the email with the inline attachment. How does he get the correct key file?

bhelm22

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 12:52:18 AM »
My dad uses Yahoo email like the OP and when he converted his key from v4 to v5 he also got the email with the inline attachment. How does he get the correct key file?

contact sales@avast.com and/or support@avast.com and have them resend the key as an attachment