Author Topic: Gmail, Thunderbird and Avast  (Read 25674 times)

2meme2

Gmail, Thunderbird and Avast
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
Hello,

I thought that the new avast (ver 5), is able to scan ssl traffic right?
If yes, then could somebody please state how to do it?  ???
(...think I'm lost in there at thunderbird 3.0.1  :'()

note to mods: Of-course ignore/delete this post if it's wrong assumption, that ver 5. scans ssl, thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Gmail, Thunderbird and Avast
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »
By all accounts it does, there are always exceptions related to a users settings in the email client, errors, etc. etc. We know none of that.

Does the avast help file or the quick start guide not have any information http://www.avast.com/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gideond

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
You have to turn off encryption in the email client and set the ports differently.

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

Has the details. Avast will take care of the encryption so the email client has to have it disabled for Avast to access the connection.

2meme2

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:20 AM »
By all accounts it does, there are always exceptions related to a users settings in the email client, errors, etc. etc. We know none of that.

Does the avast help file or the quick start guide not have any information http://www.avast.com/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf.

I'm afraid there is not much info in the help-file regarding ssl, and quick start guide tells nothing about mail shield setup.  :(

You have to turn off encryption in the email client and set the ports differently.

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

Has the details. Avast will take care of the encryption so the email client has to have it disabled for Avast to access the connection.
Thanks gideond, appreciate it.
But, unfortunately, it seems not working for me.  :'(
If I change port settings in mail config ( I have tried both TB3 and OE), it just stop working ....  :'( :'(

btw, I found following entries in the mail shield log, don't know if relevant ...
Code: [Select]
02-Feb-2010 11:00:02 AM 00000D00:   Cannot connect to POP server 74.125.127.109 (74.125.127.109:110), connect error 10060
02-Feb-2010 11:00:02 AM 00000D00:   Cannot establish SSL, SSL_connect error 5

Presumably  74.125.127.109 points to google ....

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »
Hi Playwin2,

Yes that IP is google.

I have just tried POP in TB3, and I can get the emails scanned by avast, set the settings to the same as in the images.

avast! should automatically detect the gmail account and set up the SSL for it, but if it doesn't, it should look like the last image.

-Scott-

EDIT: Messed up the images... ::)

2meme2

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
Thank you scott, yes I exactly tried those settings as shown by your screen-shots, but it still not working, maybe something wrong in my system  :'(
don't know .....  :(  :'( :'( :'(

gideond

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Are you using POP3 or IMAP? If you are using IMAP the Incoming port should be 143 with encryption disabled. I've tested it thoroughly on TB3 with Gmail and no issues here.

2meme2

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:50:45 AM »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
Please check if your firewall is not blocking the connection. The avast service (AvastSvc.exe) must be allowed to connect to your mail servers.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
just a tip: don't put your entire address name in the "authentication" box (no secure authentication, leave this unchecked), just your Google username, ie not peter@gmail.com, but just peter. And use 587 rather than 25 in Thunderbird SMTP (sending), and as said ssl disabled. Then check in avast mail scanner expert settings, ssl account tabs, that your account has been correctly detected, you should have two lines, one for POP redirecting to 995, ssl on, and the other one for SMTP to 587, TLS on (or 465/SSL).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:07:29 PM by Logos »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Are you using POP3 or IMAP?...

POP

More general hint.
Consider using Gmail/IMAP/Thunderbird. POP is just so "last century". ;D
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
Are you using POP3 or IMAP?...

POP

More general hint.
Consider using Gmail/IMAP/Thunderbird. POP is just so "last century". ;D

+1  :D

2meme2

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
@vojtech: thanks for responding, yes, AvastSvc.exe allowed in the firewall, see I use ZA free, which doesn't allow fine tunning as other firewall allows, but I tried all the combinations: (allow allow allow allow/ allow allow ask ask/ ask ask ask ask etc.) presently it set as allow allow block block.

@Logos: thank for the TLS tip.... didn't knew that , yep tried without the domain name.

@Vladimyr: most of the time I use the web-interface, pop is just for quick checking.... hmmm.....IMAP.....not a bad idea.....let's see

to all:
well I un-installed and re-installed(this time I downloaded from alwil server) avast 5 to see if that improve anything, nope same story. (btw this time I installed only 5 shields and it seems pretty light on system.... yes lighter than before.)

ps: I guess you guys don't have those awful entries in the mail shield log, right?
(really beats me , why on earth mail shield choose innocent creature like playwin2, to show it's ....umm... tricks.... ::))

thanks...

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
could you post here screen shots of your configuration (hiding anything that could compromise privacy),
ie Thunderbird account settings, the server tab for your account + smtp configuration...

ie Avast mail scanner expert settings ssl account tab
   Avast general settings troubleshooting tab >>> redirect settings part...

2meme2

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
okay here are some screen shots:

server settings in tb:

settings in avast

error I receive in tb

error I receive in oe