Author Topic: For people that want to go back to 4.8  (Read 5890 times)

Tgell

For people that want to go back to 4.8
« on: January 28, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
Personally, I have not had any issues with the avast! 5 version, but for people who feel they would like to go back, you can reach the old website with the downloads of the old versions at:

http://www2.avast.com/

Downloading at cnet will get you version 5, so you will have to use the other links for 4.8

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: For people that want to go back to 4.8
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:08:36 PM »
There is no need for that as 4.8 is available on the current new site, if you had scrolled down the download page you would have seen a tab for avast 4.8, www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html#tab4

Filehippo.com also has old versions of avast and many other applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tgell

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
There is no need for that as 4.8 is available on the current new site, if you had scrolled down the download page you would have seen a tab for avast 4.8, www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html#tab4

Filehippo.com also has old versions of avast and many other applications.

Opps, did not see that, if the admins wish to delete this thread, please do.

sunbirdbudz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »
Thanx for the address..file hippo downloaded 5.0 when I asked for 4.8...so I'm happy to have this address.
sunbirdbudz

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
Is this avast 4.8 Home Edition that is available for download, being kept up to date?
Or did avast stop updating that download available version on the day that 5.0 was released?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
4.8 will be kept up to date for a little while (a few months).  After that, version 5 will be needed.

Of course, since version 5 is built differently, it's able to detect things that 4.8 could not, just because of the new way that it runs.

So, if you can upgrade to 5 as soon as you're ready, it would be a good idea.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
I do plan on upgrading to avast 5.0  Ohhh, probably around the end of February.  I figure that should be enough time for all the major Bugs to be ironed out.  Who knows?  I may upgrade sooner IF ... the talk on the Forums indicates that the BSODs and Freezes, Etc. glitches have been backhanded into submission before then.  ;D

I might be more inclined to be more daredevil-like and try avast 5.0 right now if I was better prepared in case the you know what hits the fan.  :o ;D In other words, if something were to go seriously wrong and I wound up needing to perform a Windows Reinstall ... well, I've never done one on my Windows XP computer.  I've performed zillions of 'em on my other computer, the Windows 98SE one because I have my 3 Gateway System Recovery CDs.  On my now main computer, my Windows XP HP Pavilion, I do NOT have System Recovery CDs.  I got this computer used.  I do have the genuine Windows XP CD.  This wasn't the original OS on this computer.  It used to be a Windows 98 computer back when my friend had it.

Bottom line, I don't know what to expect.  I've never done a Windows Reinstall without System Recovery CDs.  I wouldn't know what Drivers I'd end up needing ... where to get them and how to install them.

I do have all my Files, Docs, Pics and stuff in general backed up, though.

Anyway, that's why I'm waiting.  I want to really minimize the likelihood of having to end up having to perform a Windows Reinstall.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:25:05 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
You could install some imaging software (it's been discussed on the forums here quite a bit, but acronis is one of them http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) and take a snapshot of your computer prior to installing Avast 5.  If *it* hit the fan, you could be back up and running again in a matter of minutes.

As for rebuilding, it's not too difficult. If you have a Dell or whatever, you can go to their site, pop in your model number or service tag, and download the drivers again.

It's a good idea to go through your device manager and write / or type the model numbers of your vid card, sound card, and network card first though, because most computers have multiple different cards available when you buy them, and you won't know which driver to download in a list of 3 or 4.

Other than that, it's a piece of cake.  I rebuild my comp about once a year or two, just to keep it clean and running properly.  It's also a great time to get the latest and greatest drivers installed (no prior drivers to remove when the system is installed fresh).

Just my 2 cents.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 07:28:42 PM »
Thanx for the address..file hippo downloaded 5.0 when I asked for 4.8...so I'm happy to have this address.
sunbirdbudz

If you click on the current download button (or download now) you will get the latest version, I have always got the correct version when clicking on the exact version number I wanted. So I don't know what the problem was there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
Let me ask this, Scythe.  With whatever my genuine Windows XP CD alone installs ...
Would my computer at least be able to Log On to the Net after I install my AOL?
I use AOL Dial Up.  Or would I have to get on my other computer and download some Modem Driver and install it before AOL could even connect to the Net?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »
If you do a clean install of windows XP from the disk, and windows can't find drivers for your modem, then no, AOL won't be able to use it.

If that's the case, you can use another computer to download the modem driver, then install it on your computer.  After AOL is installed, you will then be able to use the 'net.

Of course, you could download all of the drivers that your computer needs BEFORE you rebuild it, and save them to a CD, flash drive, or another computer, then install the drivers once the computer has been rebuilt.  Either way works (download and save somewhere before rebuilding, or download with another computer).