Author Topic: Avast! 5 is a QUALIFIED Incomplete Application  (Read 14328 times)

hyjaxltd

Avast! 5 is a QUALIFIED Incomplete Application
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
I will prove this in one word and I know this wont go well wioth MANY OF YOU but the fact is Avast! 5 is COMPLETLY dependant on having OTHER software (user preference software to make it worse).

FLASH

You CANNOT utilize the complet security package without this silly component that MANY are getting away with not having...thanks Helix DNA 8)

You CANOT call Avast a full application until this is remedied,  I realize COMPLETLY that it is a purely cosmetic thing but at the same time it a purely cosmetic thing.  As far as Im concerned a security application is worhtless if I need to have ANYTHING other than my core OS...especially in todays times when we are told to MAKE SURE we have a fully functioning AV application running BEFORE we attempt to connect to the internet.

Sure, Id like to but no one that makes these things are following their OWN adivce.... :o

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast! 5 is a QUALIFIED Incomplete Application
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
You're wrong, of course - it only depends on how you define "complete". You can easily say that there's no statistics display in the default package - it's only an additional bonus for those having Flash installed.
The same way, the help file is available only for those having "Html Help" package installed (hardly "core OS").
The Outlook plugin (and the related features) is available only for those having MS Outlook plugin installed - I hope you won't say that MS Office is a requirement for avast!, will you? However, the logic is the same.

Anyway, you're free to use another product, if this bonus is such a problem for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
So what, flash is a bells and whistles issue no graphs without it. Without it avast 5 does what I expect and anti-virus to do, protect my system. Flash doesn't effect the functioning of avast. the menus work the scan settings work, only the graphs require flash, see image.

Most people already have flash installed, so no problem, but for avast to 'work' it isn't dependant on flash being installed.

So yes I guess many won't feel the same as you do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Happy-Dude

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
FLASH

Huh, I didn't actually realize. If you really WANT see to see the graphs and nice visuals, sure, install flash.

Otherwise- if you are like me and hate that piece of software- use Avast without it. No protection is lost- just the user doesn't get the pleasure of *ah, my system is safe and I can see it though these graphs!!*

Me? My system is safe because I know it is- I don't need silly graphs to tell me so.

Besides, I don't have IE flash installed. I have the Firefox plugin, but the IE plugin (which gets used system wide when programs need it) has never entered my system.

gizbar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Poste in haste, repent at leisure.

I'm sorry, Hyjaxltd, but I completely disagree with you.

Flash is almost a pre-requisite for a fully running system. How many websites won't work properly without it? How many webgames will work? How maNy video websites will work without it? (eg. Youtube)

I think you're making a fuss about nothing. If you don't want Flash, then don't install it. Use the Firefox plugin, or don't use it at all. Avast will work perfectly well without it, and I'm only repeating what others have told you.

I also use Secunia PSI to see if there are vulnerabilities in my programs. Guess what? It displays your running security percentage week by week, using FLASH!

IT DOES NOT STOP IT FUNCTIONING PERFECTLY WELL AS AN ANTIVIRUS!!!

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »
my god not again  ;D this flash "issue" is a non-issue.

2nd base

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:58:17 PM »
Flash is almost a pre-requisite for a fully running system. How many websites won't work properly without it? How many webgames will work? How maNy video websites will work without it? (eg. Youtube)

It's when they all call upon it to function at the same time that things tend to get a little iffy on the browsing side of things though, right?

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 01:47:22 AM »
hyjaxltd, not having flash in your computer dont affect Avast functionality. Avast work perfectly without it.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:39:30 AM »
I will prove this in one word and I know this wont go well wioth MANY OF YOU but the fact is Avast! 5 is COMPLETLY dependant on having OTHER software (user preference software to make it worse).

FLASH

You CANNOT utilize the complet security package without this silly component that MANY are getting away with not having...thanks Helix DNA 8)

You CANOT call Avast a full application until this is remedied,  I realize COMPLETLY that it is a purely cosmetic thing but at the same time it a purely cosmetic thing.  As far as Im concerned a security application is worhtless if I need to have ANYTHING other than my core OS...especially in todays times when we are told to MAKE SURE we have a fully functioning AV application running BEFORE we attempt to connect to the internet.

Sure, Id like to but no one that makes these things are following their OWN adivce.... :o

Silly Flash. Silly Java. Silly compressed images. Silly Mozaic. It's back to Lynx for me!
Seriously, I can understand why it might be undesirable to use Flash or Silverlight in a browser but AFAIK, there are no plans to incorporate universal HTTP capability into avast! 5, or have I missed the announcement. ;)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

jujdred

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
avast 5 functions equally well in gui form or command line.  Pretty eye candy merely makes for 'enhanced' user experiences and nice wallpaper.  There is no dependency for Flash in avast 5.

pinnacle

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 02:49:36 AM »
 the only question that matters to the majority, is does it protect, and detect?.......YES!!!!!

hyjaxltd

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 03:11:44 AM »
So what, flash is a bells and whistles issue no graphs without it. Without it avast 5 does what I expect and anti-virus to do, protect my system. Flash doesn't effect the functioning of avast. the menus work the scan settings work, only the graphs require flash, see image.

Most people already have flash installed, so no problem, but for avast to 'work' it isn't dependant on flash being installed.

So yes I guess many won't feel the same as you do.
...but part of the application WILL NOT function, and to some of us a very important part  ;D

It can be very useful in tracking down problems.  Not to mention, its DOES qualify Avast! as an incoomplete application, being part of it is FULLY DEPENDENT on well...SEE ABOVE ONE WORD.

...and i relly DO love Avast!, I have always come back but will step aside why people work this exploit to its knees.  I DONT KNOW HOW.  i just know being depandant on flash it WILL be done, but thats besides the who;e 'incomplete software' thing this focus' on.

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 03:26:01 AM »
no, just the graph is....  read the logs to find out the same information

hyjaxltd

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 03:37:42 AM »
no, just the graph is....  read the logs to find out the same information
Is the graph part of Avast?

..nuff said.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 03:48:30 AM »
Well - there is a spell check facility below which you have chosen not to use. You could also make an effort with your English. Your link takes us to a place where everything is ¨under construction¨ and your avatar is equally informative. Do you ¨relly¨ detect there is even a glimmer of hope for your cause?