Author Topic: Avast! 5 is a QUALIFIED Incomplete Application  (Read 14331 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast! 5 is a QUALIFIED Incomplete Application
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
...but part of the application WILL NOT function
... which one ? oh never mind ::)

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »
my god not again  ;D this flash "issue" is a non-issue.

Another tempest in a teapot topic  ::)
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Tempest+in+a+teapot

Temporarily Disable Flash in Internet Explorer with Toggle Flash
http://lifehacker.com/376771/temporarily-disable-flash-in-internet-explorer-with-toggle-flash

Toolbar Buttons 0.6.0.8
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2377

@ Happy-Dude
---Recommended PC Programs: Windows XP SP2/IE7

Windows XP has been updated to SP3 over a year and a half ago and IE8 is much better than IE7.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:20:02 PM by YoKenny »

SirRUSH

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:45 PM »
 I'd prefer no program or Web page to use Flash.  It has increased ads, and other junk.  I (we) have to accept it and ignore the nags, or block it..or start some movement to get it removed.  The latter I don't see happening, haha.  So I use Flashblock with Firefox (No more IE for me), stops a lot of the annoyance the Web has now.  It would be nice for Yahoo Messenger and Avast! or whatever else uses it to have the option, if Flash is found, to turn it off in their programs.

If I (and many others) had my/our way, Flash would be gone from the 'Net and no longer connected to Software, but it is what it is.  So, the choice we have is to remove it or block it where possible.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »
It would be nice for Yahoo Messenger and Avast! or whatever else uses it to have the option, if Flash is found, to turn it off in their programs.

If Avast finds Flash on your system - then you have installed it. Why should you want to turn it off in Avast then?
If you don't want flash, don't install it. Quite simple. You can do it!  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »
So what, flash is a bells and whistles issue no graphs without it. Without it avast 5 does what I expect and anti-virus to do, protect my system. Flash doesn't effect the functioning of avast. the menus work the scan settings work, only the graphs require flash, see image.

Most people already have flash installed, so no problem, but for avast to 'work' it isn't dependant on flash being installed.

So yes I guess many won't feel the same as you do.
...but part of the application WILL NOT function, and to some of us a very important part  ;D

It can be very useful in tracking down problems.  Not to mention, its DOES qualify Avast! as an incoomplete application, being part of it is FULLY DEPENDENT on well...SEE ABOVE ONE WORD.

...and i relly DO love Avast!, I have always come back but will step aside why people work this exploit to its knees.  I DONT KNOW HOW.  i just know being depandant on flash it WILL be done, but thats besides the who;e 'incomplete software' thing this focus' on.

Sorry, but total rubbish, and as Igor said if you find this unacceptable then it is your right to choose another AV that doesn't use flash for graphs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
Here is a good one for you guys. I just did a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and only installed the critical windows updates. I then installed Avast free 5.0.396 and the graphs work! I did not install flash! So either the Avast installer has the flash in it or 7 does.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

hyjaxltd

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »
Well - there is a spell check facility below which you have chosen not to use. You could also make an effort with your English. Your link takes us to a place where everything is ¨under construction¨ and your avatar is equally informative. Do you ¨relly¨ detect there is even a glimmer of hope for your cause?
"Enough said"... 8)

do you feel better now.  Tell you what, since you coulnd't see the videos, nor know how to send an email via a contact link...start a forum just to try an pick my posts apart.  This topic is covering the FACT that Avast CANNOT fully function without another application.  No more, no less.

If you were to watch the video's you would maybe understand that we are developing ADVANCED NEW TECHNOLGY so the other links will become active as we develop consumer units.

And just in case, Iv provided a screen shot so you can know where to go...   :o
the only question that matters to the majority, is does it protect, and detect?.......YES!!!!!
It seems MANY decisions were simply based on 'the majority' but what do 'the majority' no about protection?

"The majority" use ineffective and comprimised applications like Norton and other various products.  I dont do ANYTHING just becuase of what 'the masses' might say or think.  I look at ALL the evidence complied for both sides...and BTW, this is not being brought up as an issue, simply a fact.

Ill still buy it for my home, but WOULD NEVER recommend it to someone with SERIOUS security needs.  Thats all.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:41:37 AM by hyjaxltd »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
I would agree that the inclusion of the flash component in the GUI is "questionable". It was a decision we have made some time ago - and we still don't have enough data to asses whether it was a good or bad decision (that is, most of the feedback was pretty positive, I mean people appreciate the charts, and our developers saved some time and instead of implementing flashy charts and maps they could concentrate on more important things).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Here is a good one for you guys. I just did a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and only installed the critical windows updates. I then installed Avast free 5.0.396 and the graphs work! I did not install flash! So either the Avast installer has the flash in it or 7 does.
If this is true then YAAY!!!
I would agree that the inclusion of the flash component in the GUI is "questionable". It was a decision we have made some time ago - and we still don't have enough data to asses whether it was a good or bad decision (that is, most of the feedback was pretty positive, I mean people appreciate the charts, and our developers saved some time and instead of implementing flashy charts and maps they could concentrate on more important things).

Thanks
Vlk

Thank you.  Im not the only one, and again Ill use it for my home PC but flash is to infectable at this point.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:45:49 AM by hyjaxltd »