Author Topic: Avast Internet Security Firewall Xbox 360  (Read 17352 times)

xGrunt21

Avast Internet Security Firewall Xbox 360
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
How can I configure the firewall on Avast IS to allow my Xbox 360 to connect to Xbox Live? My Xbox 360 is connected to my PC with a bridged connection. With the firewall turned off I can connect to Xbox Live but when it's turned on I cannot. Can anyone help me?

Hermite15

Re: Avast Internet Security Firewall Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »
How can I configure the firewall on Avast IS to allow my Xbox 360 to connect to Xbox Live? My Xbox 360 is connected to my PC with a bridged connection. With the firewall turned off I can connect to Xbox Live but when it's turned on I cannot. Can anyone help me?

sorry I can't test that, got no Xbox...and no bridged connection...take a look at your firewall log and see if anything, any connection I mean related to the Xbox is blocked there. Also, although the default is "work" for the risk zone, you may wanna switch to "home", less restrictive. If it still doesn't work, set your firewall to "ask" (as opposed to auto-decide) and see if there are any alerts that you can answer to when you connect the xbox.

xGrunt21

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
I have it set to Home but does the same thing as Work.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »
I have it set to Home but does the same thing as Work.

problem must come from your bridged connection, and I never had to deal with that. I guess someone else here will read and give you a hand  ;)

xGrunt21

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
Bump so maybe someone can help me.

acmott3311

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
I have the same problem - just installed trial version and now I can't connect my xbox 360 to my windows 7 (64bit) PC - UNLESS I TURN OFF AVAST FIREWALL - very frustrating - anyone know how to enable the firewall and still be able to connect my Xbox?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:35:21 AM »
Hi,

Not too sure if this will help the bridged connection thing, but for media, maybe this will help.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/mediasetup.htm

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56346.msg475725#msg475725

-Scott-

hidere

Avast Internet Security Firewall Xbox 360 AFTER upgrading from V8
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
I have using Internet Security Suite for a number of years, and until I upgraded to V9, I have been able to stream video between my PC and my xbox 360 with no trouble.  What new options were installed to break the connectivity.   I have added svhost, ehshell, and all other programs recommended by xbox support.   There must be some other thing that has been changed.  Can we get some answers to this continuing problem seen EVERY time Avast firewall is upgraded

hidere

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 06:53:46 AM »
btw, i have two diff licenses  for internet security suite.     This will be the LAST time I renew.   Tired of having to get support for this issue, and NO support from vender

msma11

Re: Avast Internet Security Firewall Xbox 360 AFTER upgrading from V8
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 04:28:13 AM »
I have using Internet Security Suite for a number of years, and until I upgraded to V9, I have been able to stream video between my PC and my xbox 360 with no trouble.  What new options were installed to break the connectivity.   I have added svhost, ehshell, and all other programs recommended by xbox support.   There must be some other thing that has been changed.  Can we get some answers to this continuing problem seen EVERY time Avast firewall is upgraded

I am having the same problem.  I was streaming just fine and got the popup the few days ago about new version and installed it...then boom now my 360 is not able to see my pc.  if I uninstall avast it will start working again....but once I reinstall avast it no longer works....something changed in the firewall.  please tell me where I can get the past avast versions...
I still have over 246 days left and I have it on 5 PCs...

IF STREAM VIDEO OR MUSIC DO NOT UPGRADE TO AVAST 2014 (v9)!!!!!

please tell me where I can get the past avast versions...

Edit
in looking into this more...Avast blocks all sharing from PC don't matter if you have firewall on or off or even set to private.

ooo...don't need to know where to get older version...found it by other means  >:(  ...took off v9 and installed v8 back on and everything is working again.   

AGAIN DO NOT UPGRADE TO V9 (2014) YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STREAM OR FILE SHARE!!!!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:06:20 AM by msma11 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 05:25:43 AM »
hi hidere and msma11,

One of the unforseen issues with doing an upgrade to a newer build/version within the gui (program) is that all settings are carried over to the newest build or version number, whilst all the old files are tossed and new ones come in to replace them. 

This means that the avast! firewall is not the same as the old one but has all the old settings set as if it was the old one, and this will happen if you update from within the gui.  Old carried over settings are not going to work perfectly all the time in a newly redesigned firewall.  Old settings will sometimes get blocked by newer/different firewall.

Example:  OK to update within gui only if the version number is the same:  8.0.1482 to .1483 to .1488 to .1489 to .1497.  Not OK to update from gui from 8.0.xxxx to 9.0.xxxx as too many new files, features, firewall redesign, etc., and certain specific settings unique to a particular user cannot be anticipated by avast! as these settings may not be the norm, but rather, is sometimes the exception.

FIX?  Either remove all old settings within the new firewall or do a repair/clean install of avast! so you can set it just the way you want.  avast! firewall will detect all your new connections and your xbox and ask what to do.  Allow all connections as before and you should be good to go.

Best advice is don't update within the gui if moving up one build/version number (8.0 to 9.0); do a clean install instead.

FYI:  Updating within a build/version number via gui works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't, just so you know.

[EDIT:]  Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:59:09 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762) UI version 1.0.797

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
Best advice is don't update within the gui if moving up one build/version number (8.0 to 9.0); do a clean install instead.

Big fan of clean installs as well. Upgrades suck.

tommytinkroom

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »
I have the same problem but not with the xbox it's with my Mede8erX3D1000.
I found  the best thing to do is uninstall Avast IS and do a custom reininstall and uncheck the box
for Avast firewall and just use the the Windows firewall.
Sent a support ticket to Avast tech they'll probably get back to me next year.
Looks like the new upgrade is at a beta stage and we're just used to test it.

msma11

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »

Big fan of clean installs as well. Upgrades suck.

I did the upgrade at first and then took it all off and did a fresh install and its the same blocks everything.

looking at the new posts today looks like allot more people are having the same problems and support says that an upgrade next week but im going to wait and see...

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 06:43:19 AM »
Not sure if anybody is still looking or not, but I figured out how to connect my xbox 360 to internet with the new version. I had to manually add the connection IP addresses as a "FRIEND" basically stating that I trust the network enough to allow the connections. Can explain the process if anyone asks.