Author Topic: Avast needs password to move files to chest!  (Read 5742 times)

filipe.a.pinto

Avast needs password to move files to chest!
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:34:07 PM »
Hi there, I'm using Ubuntu Netbook Remix in dual-boot with Windows Xp.
I use avast in Ubuntu, to protect the Xp, as I heard it's recommended somewhere..
The problem is, I can't seem to delete or move viruses to chest after searching. Furthermore, all programs that have a potential risk of changing the system ask for the password, and Avast never did. - I was the one to set up the password as recommended in the installation.
How do I get avast to delete or send files to chest, or to ask for the password?

Also, I can't seem to move the GUI-window. It seems to be locked in a part of the screen, usually to low so I can't access some buttons.
Thx in advance.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast needs password to move files to chest!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »
Hi there, I'm using Ubuntu Netbook Remix in dual-boot with Windows Xp.
I use avast in Ubuntu, to protect the Xp, as I heard it's recommended somewhere..
The problem is, I can't seem to delete or move viruses to chest after searching. Furthermore, all programs that have a potential risk of changing the system ask for the password, and Avast never did. - I was the one to set up the password as recommended in the installation.
How do I get avast to delete or send files to chest, or to ask for the password?

Also, I can't seem to move the GUI-window. It seems to be locked in a part of the screen, usually to low so I can't access some buttons.
Thx in advance.

Hallo,
asking for password is probably caused by sudo-spawned applications, normally, app either has the right euid to do the operation, or, the action will be denied. when running avast as root, you'll have right to do everything. when running it under user, you will have exactly the same rights as the particular user.

moving files to the chest, of course, needs the right privileges - so you can add avastgui to your sudo-list, or simply, run it as root.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

filipe.a.pinto

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:20 AM »
i've tried running avast as root..
I don't know if it's the correct way, but i tried this
Code: [Select]
sudo su -, I then entered the password, and in the terminal it appeared as root, I ran avast, and still it couldn't move files to chest.
Avast never asks for any password, it just doesn't move the files, nor deletes them..
I've installed throw synaptic, and it functions well, besides that. - which is a major problem...  :o

I've checked and I'm a sudoer, at least my account is one of the admins. How can I get avast to be on my sudoers-list?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »
i've tried running avast as root..
I don't know if it's the correct way, but i tried this
Code: [Select]
sudo su -, I then entered the password, and in the terminal it appeared as root, I ran avast, and still it couldn't move files to chest.
Avast never asks for any password, it just doesn't move the files, nor deletes them..
I've installed throw synaptic, and it functions well, besides that. - which is a major problem...  :o

I've checked and I'm a sudoer, at least my account is one of the admins. How can I get avast to be on my sudoers-list?

Here's the detailed how-to to the whole sudoers machinery:
http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/man/sudoers.html

as root, you should be able to manipulate any file (when physically possible - writable filesystem).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)