Author Topic: Why Boot Scan not support auto-remove functions?  (Read 5939 times)

lukas1212

Why Boot Scan not support auto-remove functions?
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:12:50 AM »
Why a new Avast 5 does not support automatic removal and other functions during the scan when you boot your computer? In version 4, they were very useful features. I beg for the return of these functions!

ConQuesimo

I'm wondering the same thing.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:19:04 AM »
Does anyone know how to have the boot-scan automatically handle files without prompting the user in Avast 5?  As it stands now, you have to wait for it to find a bad file and prompt you to press "Move all to chest," but then you also have to wait for it to find a file inside the Windows directory and once again select "Move all to chest."  In Avast 4, you could instruct the program to automatically deal with these files so you could go to sleep while it scans through your entire collection of god-knows-what.  This was a pretty useful feature in Avast 4.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why Boot Scan not support auto-remove functions?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:07:54 AM »
The boot-time scan has never supported automatic removal by default (4.8) unless you pre-set these options when scheduling a boot-time scan (4.8 advanced options, see image).

So it looks like that option (advanced options) has been removed.

However, once you have one alert there are options displayed on the actions you want to take, and for each action option there is a Use this option for all detections (see image2 list, this is from 4.8 but basically the same). So that would give a sort of automated option.

Personally I rarely run a boot time scan and I'm loath to take automated multiple actions, certainly delete is nothing short of downright dangerous,'first do no harm' send to the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ConQuesimo

Uhh... yes.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:35:18 AM »
Are you posting just for the sake of posting?  You said there was no option except for the exact option in question, then plagiarized what I said about how Avast 5 prompts the user, and then supplied screen-shots to something we obviously know about as if it were news to us.  And all the while, you don't answer the posted question:  "Why Boot Scan not support auto-remove functions?"  Are you just post-happy?

Does anyone know if this option exists in Avast 5 or maybe why it has been removed?

I love forums.  Bring on the flame... I know it's coming.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 04:54:13 AM »
You could read my post deeper too as there is a sodding big hint there too.

Since you don't need the help I shan't waste my time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ConQuesimo

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:34:09 AM »
What help?

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »
What help?

A Newbie arguing with an avast! Überevangelist should read his help more carefully.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:08 AM »
What help?

A Newbie arguing with an avast! Überevangelist should read his help more carefully.

Couldn't agree more.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ConQuesimo

Actually help, thank you!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »
Vlk, thanks very much for that link to Avast's blog which explains everything and answers my question.  It's good to know that the feature will be back in Avast 5.1.

ConQuesimo

Avast 5.1 released
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »
I have just upgraded to Avast 5.1 and am fiddling around with it.  As far as I can tell, the boot scan still does not support the auto-remove function like Avast 4.8 used to.  Or... are the advanced boot scan features hidden somewhere?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
No, that still isn't in avast 5.1, no hidden settings.

Of course when you run the boot-time scan if something is found I believe the layout is still the same where you can answer the multiple response, Move to chest, do this for all detections option. So up to a point you can have semi-automated actions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:35:50 PM by DavidR »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
If the user can make any harm to his/her own computer IF automated actions are allowed, well, it's a problem that avast team should face quickly and deep. I mean, only the first action is being asked... and the majority of the users will choose "do the same with all other detections"... Trusting in avast judgment.
White list, digital signatures, whatever... something must (or is already) need to be thought in order to release protection and safety in this case.

The user can't be let by his/her own...
The best things in life are free.

J.Stalin

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
Now again...
So many users have been complaining about the removal of these options in v.5
The explanation is always the same: These options are dangerous.
I really don't understand why the "ignore" option was dangerous, and had to be removed. ???
The "ignore" option did exactly what everyone asks for, it made babysitting the boot scan unnecessary.
Then afterward you just look in the log and decide what to do with the different positives.
The statement has been that the "ignore" option would be re-implemented in v5.1. It was not...
We are also told that the boot time scan only was thought as an emergency function.
I, and probably many other users actually used the v4.8 boot time scan for overnight scan of large hdd's.
I guess noone uses the v5.0 or v5.1 boot scanner unless it is the last possibility....   

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
If you want, you can use the sched.exe tool - it has always been there.