Author Topic: Question about Standard Suite licensing/re-install  (Read 2836 times)

jedisb

Question about Standard Suite licensing/re-install
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
I hope you all can help. I am with an IT solutions provider that has just acquired a new customer that is running avast!. We are pretty "green" as far as experience with avast! so I have some questions.

They have 10 Windows XP machines running avast! Professional 4.8 (although some are still at 4.7) and 1 server running Windows Server 2003. The server is running avast! Server Edition and has ADNM installed. However, we have found out that they are improperly licensed. After their previous IT provider left the accountant was left with renewing their licenses. Not knowing what she was doing she only renewed licensing for 1 server. Therefore ADNM is not working and of course none of the desktops are licensed. However, avast! on the desktops still works, oddly enough. I have already contacted sales to get the licensing they need. (Their one server license is about to expire as well.) My question has to do with how the licensing is applied. Will this require us to uninstall avast! from all the servers and PCs, re-install it on the server, re-install ADNM, and push it from the server to all the desktops? Or, will simply loading the new license file into the license manager suffice? Thank you in advance.

jedisb

Re: Question about Standard Suite licensing/re-install
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »
Anyone? I opened a ticket w/ support on this but after a couple of days the ticket is gone from my list w/ no answer.  :( I tried opening another one and the same thing happened.

JimIT

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:13:05 PM »
I am assuming you are using avast! Professional (managed) on the clients?

Provided you get the licensing you need, and considering you have only 10 clients, you should only have to put the new license file on the server, and then I would personally go to the desktop and point the clients to the new license file.  You may have to manually update the clients, but that can be automated, as well.

Remember that you will also receive a key for avast! Professional as part of the Standard Suite install, and will need to use that for version 4.8, as 5.0 uses a license file, as well, and does not (at this point) work with ADNM.

HTH

jedisb

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »
I am assuming you are using avast! Professional (managed) on the clients?

That would be correct. Although I can't confirm that all the machines in the office are "talking" to the server properly at this point.

Provided you get the licensing you need, and considering you have only 10 clients, you should only have to put the new license file on the server, and then I would personally go to the desktop and point the clients to the new license file.  You may have to manually update the clients, but that can be automated, as well.

Sounds simple enough but I made a typo. There are 100 clients, not 10.

Remember that you will also receive a key for avast! Professional as part of the Standard Suite install, and will need to use that for version 4.8, as 5.0 uses a license file, as well, and does not (at this point) work with ADNM.

I'm not quite following you on this. The standard suite comes with Professional 4.8, not 5.0. Where does 5.0 come into play? Most all the machines have 4.8 installed already, although some are still on 4.7.

JimIT

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »
I'm not quite following you on this. The standard suite comes with Professional 4.8, not 5.0. Where does 5.0 come into play? Most all the machines have 4.8 installed already, although some are still on 4.7.

In your original post, I could not assume that you were not using 4.8 Professional (not managed) edition.  I mentioned 5.0 simply because I was not sure if you were upgrading 4.8 Professional to 5.0 professional--even though you mentioned ADNM in your post.  I was unclear if you were using managed 4.8 on each workstation, or some with the Professional edition.  No worries.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:19:13 PM by JimIT »