Author Topic: Update had bad signature?  (Read 5901 times)

macmomma08

Update had bad signature?
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:36:22 AM »
I told my avast to update and it downloaded then said it had a bad signature and moved it to the desktop. I deleted the file and tried to download it again and this time it didn't give me an error.

Any idea what it was? Haven't had that happen before.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Update had bad signature?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
I told my avast to update and it downloaded then said it had a bad signature and moved it to the desktop. I deleted the file and tried to download it again and this time it didn't give me an error.

Any idea what it was? Haven't had that happen before.

Hallo, internet downloading isn't bullet proof, and sometimes, the file could be corrupted/truncated, and in this case, the vps is copied to the desktop.
It's a kind of prevention against evil things like web-redirection which will give you modified hand-crafted vps as an exploit. that's why we copy it out to the desktop, for further analysis, but as far as I know this case haven't happen yet.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

macmomma08

Re: Update had bad signature?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »
Thanks Zilog. I don't think I will worry about it since I updated through the button.

Also, my itunes was having connection issues too and so was my browser, then my entire internet when down, so probably it was just getting disconnected. :)