Author Topic: I Thought Avast Was Great Until Reading This.....  (Read 35059 times)

uffbros

I Thought Avast Was Great Until Reading This.....
« on: June 25, 2004, 03:45:03 PM »
Your comments on these unbiased test results for Avast.....It sucks........... Your explanations please?

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:05:02 PM by Vlk »

se7engreen

Re:I Thought Avast Was Great Until Reading This.....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 03:47:41 PM »
What sucks is your link...

I read a good discussion about this in these forums, if I can find it I'll post the link.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 03:49:06 PM by se7engreen »

uffbros

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 03:56:23 PM »
If you would look at my link..The forum apparently only recognizes part of the address so you have to copy/paste the link into your browser.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 04:06:21 PM »
uffbros you must've been on a different planet for the last year... The VB tests have been discussed here about zillion times... :)

Try doing a search on the forum for keywords like Bulletin or VB...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 04:21:08 PM »
I get so tired of hearing about the VB100 tests, and people using that as the standard of how well an AV performs. Personally, I use the test of how many infections I have received from using my surfing habits. None so far!

That means  Avast has received a perfect 100% on my tests!  :P

Douglas

Staind

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:48:49 PM »
Yea, failing the tests is often due to something incredibly stupid.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 05:35:32 PM »
Aside from the obvious, this is historical data when over the last two years there have been 6 passes and 3 fails a different weighting.

And this is not the end of the story because there is no mention in what area, technical, etc it failed. These are not the be all and end all and without full information should be taken with a liberal dose of salt.

As Vlk said this has been aired a number of times and always to my satisfaction anyway. It has probably been talked to death if you chose to look.

Before making comments like.
It sucks........... Your explanations please?
Please do a little research before making sweeping statements, a simple search on these boards would have been a good start.

You have been around here for a while (21 posts), I would have thought you had seen enough live user proof (not test labs) that avast works and the support on this forum is second to none when compared to other AVs support.

You should also have your own user experience of avast.
I Thought Avast Was Great Until Reading This.....
Nothing has changed with avast, simply you read some bare information on test lab results. Are you any less protected having read the report, I think not.

David
Tried the rest and like avast the best (no matter what the report said).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kobra

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 09:18:36 PM »
VB tests = Hogwash  most people know this.. People that don't, are quick to point to VB as an indicator of a product, until they read deeper, and find out the specifics.

Do a search, theres been 20 threads on this. =)

Avast is not perfect, its not even the best.. But it doesn't "Suck"...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 09:19:16 PM by Kobra »

techie101

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 12:50:17 AM »
Firstly,

Everybody should look at what verson of Avast was tested in this nutty report.....Avast32!!!!

Avast Home and Pro have overcome many of the shortcomings of the predecessor versions.

The VB testing is not as simple as their bulletin seems to be!  

Avast is a fine, stable, reliable AV.  Are there better AVs around?

Maybe .... but not ones that justify the cost.   :P

Tipton

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 01:12:53 AM »
Also it might be wise to mention, that the past failed tests do not even apply today! How could they? I wouldn't care if it failed everytime for the last two years, as long as it passed one of the most current tests. Looking at Avasts track record on the VB 100 test site, only proves that it is getting better and better. Its passing more and more of the tests.

Douglas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 01:13:48 AM »
Your comments on these unbiased test results for Avast.....It sucks........... Your explanations please?

Will you come back? Why did you ask for explanations if you don't come back?  ::)
Well, 'sucks' is not a word of the vocabulary of this forum  :P

Techie, thanks for the clarification about how professional was that test.
Thanks Kobra and Vlk for the technical support.
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 01:40:02 AM »
Oh I like people like him... I like them a lot !!!

They don't know anything about this antivirus, they don't know anything about avast! users, avast! community, avast forums and our spirit.

First thing he had to say was: "It sucks !"... calm down dude, and first think you have to do is to learn how to introduce yourself in here in a best possible way... first impression is most important... or you too are one of those Norton promoters ?  ::)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 01:40:30 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

niko

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 02:07:27 AM »
Hi all, can someone explain me what does it mean "sucks" ?
Sorry, I'm thinking it' not necessary anymore, as Craftec says: first impression is most important ! ;D

The Maxx

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 02:23:02 AM »
avast! doesn't suck at all.  That Virus Bulletin crap is a joke.  I wouldn't believe most of anything they claim.  As Korba pointed out avast! isn't the best but it nowhere near sucks.  avast! is better then a good bit of the AVs listed on that Virus Bulletin.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 02:30:14 AM »
Hi all, can someone explain me what does it mean "sucks" ?
Sorry, I'm thinking it' not necessary anymore, as Craftec says: first impression is most important ! ;D
it a rude saying for something really bad.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay