Author Topic: UPSET with the Avast! 5 Firewall  (Read 5498 times)

Melvincz

UPSET with the Avast! 5 Firewall
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
I've tried nearly anything to make the firewall starting:
  • removed NCP Security VPN client
  • removed all protocols related to Virtual PC and VirtualBox
  • reinstalled AIS several times, always used Removal Tool
  • disabled built-in Windows firewall
but the thing has not started yet!
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on Intel i7.
Avast! Firewall service installed but stopped. Starting that will immediately shows a messagebox similar to "Service has been started but stopped immediately ... bla bla".
Is there anyone who can help me?

Regards,

Radek

Melvincz

Re: UPSET with the Avast! 5 Firewall
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:52:44 PM »
Dear Evangelists and Avast! guys,
may you please try to help me solving my Firewall issue instead of commenting the "Flash-not-being-an-issue" or "I-have-no-idea-about-behavioral-shield-please-give-me-an-explanation" threads?
Don't take that wrong  ;), I'm trying to solve the issue whole day and I'm feeling not happy about that.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Radek

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:56 PM »
Im pretty sure Vlk said windows firewall should stay ON.

Melvincz

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:58:52 PM »
Windows Firewall was on during many attempts and then off during many other attempts. No combination of mentioned factors is working for me  :-\

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
im sure there's many people more qualified here to help you, but since you seem to have removed all other possible conflicting software maybe you could check the windows event log for more information as to why its not starting??
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:21:14 PM by ArtemisF0wl »

Melvincz

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »
There's no single information related to service failures in the event log. I've already checked that.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
Dear Evangelists and Avast! guys,
may you please try to help me solving my Firewall issue instead of commenting the "Flash-not-being-an-issue" or "I-have-no-idea-about-behavioral-shield-please-give-me-an-explanation" threads?
Don't take that wrong  ;), I'm trying to solve the issue whole day and I'm feeling not happy about that.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Radek

this forum is rolling Melvincz, there are other members, other threads, other preoccupations  ::) if someone had a clue about your firewall issue, he would probably post here...This said I admit you're a bit out of luck because the number of users running this firewall here is rather restricted. More than 80% of people posting here are concerned with AV issues and the AV components. You might have noticed that Avast 5 firewall is the first firewall ever released by avast, so be patient, or file a support request on Avast main web site, contact the development team, they should know about that bug as you're not even the first one who experienced this same issue with the firewall not starting at all. Others got more lucky may be, generally a reboot or a reinstall solved their problem. You mentioned very late that you had virtual box and PC on board; these programs don't just use "protocols" as you said, but drivers, and those drivers can interfere. Just a guess, I have no idea why this firewall won't run on your system, it runs on mine (Win7/64)

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »

Melvincz

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »
Thank you, Logos. I do understand I'm not the only one here solving any issues.
I've already raised a ticket, no response until now.

Regards,

Radek

atif

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »
i am facing the problem that my system getting stuck and my internet connection also blocked....i dont know what is the problem...there is any solution for this

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »
@ Melvincz: I was just thinking, you live in the Czech Republic, the country where Avast is, why don't you either call them ( speaking the same language might be a plus  ;) ), or pay them a visit  ??? might be faster than wait for an official reaction to your issue on the forums...