Author Topic: What is part of avast slowing down my xp box  (Read 2575 times)

Offline ozstar

What is part of avast slowing down my xp box
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
Hi,

I have noticed that since I have installed avast, that whenever I go to open a program or do most things, it takes a while. I know this because the 'a' ball turns.

Is there somewhere I can turn off some things while I am working?

I have 7 providers, 6 running.

I also notice when I use the Thunderbird newsgroups, I get the blue light icon scanning news.

Great progranm though.

Thanks

oz  :-)

Neo1

Re: What is part of avast slowing down my xp box
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »
hello ozstar,        i`m guessing you are using Avast 4.8 version (home edition/pro), when your system open files like installed software, games, browsing and the like  Avast will scan them automatically in the backround hence why i think you have some slow down launching things which is normal (a powerful comp may not see any difference), it has a number of Shields ie Instant Messaging, Internet Mail, Network Shield, Outlook Exchange, P2P Shield, Standard Shield and Web Shield, you can turn off which resident protection shields  you DONT use, to do this left click on the Avast "a" icon in the system tray, a window will appear click on "details" you will be presented with a list of protection shields on the left hand side, click on the protection shield that you DONT want or use and goto "stop service provider" it will ask you if you want to stop it permanently or until you next reboot.....you can also adjust the sensitivity of the Shields in the same place (by default they are set to standard which is fine)....... ;)hope it helps
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:49:12 PM by Neo1 »

Offline ozstar

Re: What is part of avast slowing down my xp box
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »
Thanks for the help.

I like the email and the website watch as well as the manual scan which I can start when I need to, but I do not like the way every time I open a file it is obviously checking it. I figure if I have the email, web and do scans, that I am clean anyway.

It's just that virtually all I do, is taking loner as files are opened.

Whic is the one to stop this happening.

It's a great program and has saved my 'a' a few times where other progs didn't especially ftp files from my websites down to my Xp box.

Thanks again

oz  :-)