Author Topic: Security Suite 5.0 F/W and VMware Workstation  (Read 2716 times)

yogi-bear

Security Suite 5.0 F/W and VMware Workstation
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
Vmware Workstation V7 seems to be blocked in the F/W setting with Bridged Mode - VMware Application is allowed and i have tested it in all zones. I looked at the F/W logs and ICMP is being blocked and suspect it has to do with VMware, however i cannot see any advanced settings to tinker with ICMP. If i turn the F/w Off the app work's flawlessy.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome or it's back to Outpost F/W

whalehk

Re: Security Suite 5.0 F/W and VMware Workstation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
I have the same problem too.. with VMWare Workstation 7 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, all my VMs under 'bridge' mode won't work, if i change the VMs network to 'NAT' mode, they will work.

Who know how to solve this trouble, i am on AIS 5.0.418 licensed version?

peterjg

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
I have the same problem. Windows Vista Ultimate, VMWare Workstation 7, Avast Pro 5.0.418

If I  disable shields while the guest VM acquires IP address, and then enable shields, all works.
Need to know how to make a rule, or will report a bug.

Firewall log reports blocking IGMP with application not recognized (blank) IP 224.0.0.22

Cheers,
--Peter
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:55:10 AM by peterjg »

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:27 AM »
The problem probably in in the Firewall section. I have VMware Workstation 7.0 on host with Windows 7 64 bit and 2 guest Windows 7 and run Avast 5.0.418 free on all and have no problems with the bridged network. You'll have to look into rules and such in that part of program most likely. Windows built in firewall if active can sometimes cause problems with other firewalls.
Joe

whalehk

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »
My Windows Firewall Disabled.
My VMWare Services under "Application Rules" All set to "All connections" for the following 3 services.
VMWare Authorization Service
VMware NAT Service
VMware Workstation

Saw the same IGMP message.

Are there any other things that need to set inside AVast?