Author Topic: How do I renew 4.8 Pro license?  (Read 4213 times)

rlw

How do I renew 4.8 Pro license?
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »
Hello,

I have a client who has a paid-for copy of Avast 4.8 Professional that expired yesterday.  I'm still not comfortable with 5.0 (it's still crashing on its own on my XP SP3 system), and I suggested she stick with 4.8 until the bugs are worked out of 5.0.

When she started through the renewal process for her license, everything she sees implies that she has to upgrade to 5.0.  I even searched the Avast website for "renew license" -- that still takes me to 5.0 pages.

How does she just renew her 4.8 Pro license?

RLW
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:29:58 PM by rlw »

Rick F

Re: How do I renew 4.8 Pro license?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »
Not sure, but will this link work:?

http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php

rlw

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:26 PM »
Not sure, but will this link work:?
http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php

Rick,

Thanks, but that just goes to a page that resends an EXISTING license.  Her 4.8 Pro license has expired.  She just wants to renew it (on 4.8, NOT 5.0).

If we don't find a way to renew 4.8, I'm going to suggest she go with Micro$oft's free antivirus product.

RLW

bhelm22

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »
yikes, why not just have her use Avast Free rather than Microsoft's feeble attempt at an AV?

rlw

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
yikes, why not just have her use Avast Free rather than Microsoft's feeble attempt at an AV?

It's a business system -- it wouldn't be right to have her use the free version.  Up until 5.0, I've always felt Alwil/Avast was the best option for antivirus -- small footprint, auto updates, it just plain works (other than the "false positive" problem back in December).

With 5.0, I've lost confidence in their software.  I've been running 5.0 here, upgraded from 5.0.377 to 5.0.396, and it's still crashing on me.  Red "X" on the avast ball, the service has died, no log viewer to speak of, and it DOESN'T communicate properly with Windows Security Center to alert the user that there's a problem.

I can't recommend she (or my many other clients) upgrade at this point.

She needs some kind of antivirus solution -- maybe AVG is the way to go, but I've read good things about the Micro$oft AV, too.

RLW

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »
@ rlw

I have no problem on my XP Pro system.  I fixed the problem I had by adding a bit more RAM.

Microsoft's MSE is not bad and maybe better than AVG but not as good as avast! V5.

waking

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »
Her 4.8 Pro license has expired.  She just wants to renew it (on 4.8, NOT 5.0).

Send an email to sales@avast.com and ask them if she/you can renew
the 4.8 license. Explain the reasons.

http://www.avast.com/contacts