Author Topic: AVAST 5.0 KEEPS STOPPING!!!!  (Read 15341 times)

lrbarton

AVAST 5.0 KEEPS STOPPING!!!!
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
 ???
Can someone please help?? We have 2 laptops and both have the new avast version with no trouble...our desktop, though, has Windows XP and I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2x now...every time I try and connect to the internet the "page cannot be displayed" message comes up and then a red X appears over the Avast icon in the tray and it stops working. I go and FIX it and it keeps doing it...it will not update on its own...it says it is broken. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening? Thanks!

jeffj4873

Re: AVAST 5.0 KEEPS STOPPING!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »
Don't know what is happening, but the next step is to go to Windows uninstall and try to "Repair" the Program, If that doesn't work, try to "Change" or "Update" the program. Most of the time, one of those will fix the program.

mezzy316

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
The same thing is happening to me. My pc has crashed twice.

Jim Bryan

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »
I am having the same issue, it started last Thursday, Periodic crashes with error 0x000000c5.  Ran the windows debugging tools and the results weren't helpful.  It seemed like the crashes would occur when the machine was idle for a while and I came back to it.  I removed Avast 5 and the machine hasn't crashed since.  I am not sure if it is related to a windows update or another program conflict?  Just for kicks I tested my Hard drive and memory, no problems found.

The event log entry for the last crash was
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x82d3404d).

After these crashes, I would uninstall avast in safe mode, then re-install.  The computer would be fine until the next day, then the problem would occur again.  Are there some updates to the AV engine that don't require a reboot, but change the way Avast works when the computer is restarted???

jeffj4873

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
Yep. Can't tell you exactly what they are but the  fix and change commands do some serious changing and neither require reboots.

Sm3K3R

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
Reinstall Microsofts Visual C++ Redistributable and Flash player before reinstalling Avast.

wsimp71

Re: AVAST 5.0 KEEPS STOPPING!!!! - ME TOO -HELP?
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:02 PM »
Hi

This has happened to me over last couple of days, i had 4.8 and the service stopped - wont fix, or restart and says the end points are missing. I uninstalled it and when i rebooted my lappy said it had recovered from a serious error. I then installed 5.0 and it appeared to be sweet. It has only been on the laptop for 2 days and the error has recurred. It is non responsive and tells me the service has stopped and I must restart it as system is unprotected - which it refuses to do and now sits with an X over the icon. When I click on anything it says Avast is in an unstable state - how do I make it stable. Interestingly when I bring the about Avast box up it says the version and files are unknown and again the endpoints cant be found?

Please can someone help?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »
lrbarton, wsimp71: do you have any unp*.mdmp files in c:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log folder? If yes, could you please send me them to kurtin@avast.com?

Jim Bryan: could you please send me couple of latest minidump files from \Windows\minidump folder?

Thanks.

wsimp71

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »
there are none, there is no log folder in there

jeffj4873

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 03:53:36 AM »
Good point. At least in the English version, there is no LOG folder

marc-d-l

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:17:54 AM »
After installing and uninstalling 6 times, I couldn't get avast to turn on at start up.Tried everything finally fixed the problem. Went with AVG. Liked avast but avast 5 is a piece of GARBAGE.

Sesame

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
there are none, there is no log folder in there
Which OS are you using?  If it's XP, the folder is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application DataAlwil Software\Avast5\log.

BTW, pk, how about putting your mail address on your profile like Vlk rather than letting bots harvest your email address?  Or are you showing your confidence on the protections of Avast! 5.0?  ;)

Sm3K3R

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
After installing and uninstalling 6 times, I couldn't get avast to turn on at start up.Tried everything finally fixed the problem. Went with AVG. Liked avast but avast 5 is a piece of GARBAGE.

That is unfortunate.AVG free itself is crap (no offence).You ll have your PC fiiled with trojan horses very soon ,with AVG sitting there ,simulating an antivirus software ,but taking no action or not detectiing them.Avast 4/5 free >Avira free> AVG free.
Try and give information to the Avast team so you can make it work on your PC.It s for your own good mate.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
Good point. At least in the English version, there is no LOG folder

well first there is a log folder, with a log for each shield, and second that's not even where the avast dump files are located if any, they're directly saved under the alwill folder in either all users or program data. But obviously there won't be anything if AvastUI or Svc didn't crash.

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
then good luck with AVG; last time and only time I ever had a virus on my system, AVG was supposed to protect it. I had an alert... that the infection was already up and running. Thanks AVG  ;D