Author Topic: CNET User Opinions - 95% Give Avast Thumbs Up  (Read 20161 times)

shgoh

Re:CNET User Opinions - 95% Give Avast Thumbs Up
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2004, 09:54:56 AM »
i suppose everyone here is one 'negative' user when we came here the 1st time ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 10:01:42 AM »
CNET (as on most other similar sites) comments are anonymous, meaning there's no way to contact anyone. We've tried that multiple times but it's virtually impossible...

BTW it's probably not a conincidence that avast! has such a good score - it's partly because we're actually encouraging our users to write some testimonials (see e.g. the left bar at http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG ).

Vlk
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 10:02:01 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 10:05:13 AM »
I actually voted on most of those sites ;D You migh find my comment under nick razor256 or RejZoR (huh its so long ago that i even changed my nick ;) ) Also spreading good word about avast! everywhere its possible :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 10:05:54 AM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Beaky

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 11:44:53 AM »
It is true to say that most of the bad reviews you read about Avast are by Users who download the free version and then find something does not work correctly first time, so they dump it straight away without asking others for any advice and give it a bad report. >:(

Here is a suggestion for the Avast team, how about including a direct link to this forum on one of the Avast pop up screens on the Free Home Edition!  :D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 12:01:50 PM »
With all respect, the forum is just a 2nd-level support service. We provide direct mail/telephone support (even for Home Edition users - although this might change in the future because of the enormous growth of our user base) and there are direct links in the help file as well as in the program itself describing all the support options.

Beaky

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 01:35:07 PM »
Yep, I am aware of this Vlk, but from my own experience albeit two years ago.  I nearly gave up at the first hurdle when I couldn't get my email to work.  Luckly for me I did have enough knowledge to get my email working and was able to contact Pavel who kindly sorted me out.  Now I reason that not all Users will be able to do this so straight away that  is one contact avenue closed off.

I also reason that most of us Users work, therefore when we try Avast for the first time it is at home, at a time when I expect your office is empty (European).  The support on the forum is available 7/24 and is second to none with its helpful advice.

I appreiciate that you are a professional company, and that is why I only suggested doing this for the Home Edition. The Avast forum is a great asset to your Company, and there are a lot of home users like me who can confirm this.  It may only be second level support, but the advice given is usually first class. I believe that this is confirmed when you look at the number of times a post is read, and you soon realise how popular the Forum is with the Users. (they can't all be wrong!)

Finally, I still think this is a good idea, I wish I had known about the Forum from the begining.

:D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 01:46:35 PM by Beaky »

dadkins_1

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 05:16:18 PM »
Just added my comments on Cnet...and a link to this forum. Hope they publish it.  ;)

Staind

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 06:51:31 PM »
With all respect, the forum is just a 2nd-level support service. We provide direct mail/telephone support (even for Home Edition users - although this might change in the future because of the enormous growth of our user base) and there are direct links in the help file as well as in the program itself describing all the support options.
I've always wondered, how many people does the Avast! team consist of?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »

Our team is about 20 people; about 85% which are in R&D (development of the program or virus analysis)

Tipton

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 09:02:48 PM »
Avast is truly getting a large following. Six months ago, I never really saw it mentioned much in other forums I attend. Now it is being listed all the time as the "best" free AV out there. I often comment that it is not only the best free, but best period. Dadkins and I are always pushing it over in the security forum at BBR.

How many people do I have to convert over before I get a free pro License?  ;D

Douglas

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 09:16:01 PM »
With all respect, the forum is just a 2nd-level support service. We provide direct mail/telephone support (even for Home Edition users - although this might change in the future because of the enormous growth of our user base)
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
sad news Vlk  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
MW

Tipton

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 09:20:08 PM »
With all respect, the forum is just a 2nd-level support service. We provide direct mail/telephone support (even for Home Edition users - although this might change in the future because of the enormous growth of our user base)
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
sad news Vlk  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Wait, does this mean the phone support will change, or both the phone support and the user forum?

Douglas

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2004, 09:23:22 PM »
I think I put it clearly.. :P

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2004, 09:34:49 PM »
But, still no one can be ungrateful and say that's not fair from Alwil. Just try to think how many e-mails they have to answer, phone calls... unbelievable !

It's more than enough if they gives us forum support only in the future ( I mean if they decide to cancel phone support for Home Edition). It's really more than enough and no one should complain ask for more. They just need to visit these great forums once in a while, search our database, ask some help from forum members, moderators or Alwil team members... everyone can find something for him/her...

Cheers !

Staind

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2004, 11:15:23 PM »

Our team is about 20 people; about 85% which are in R&D (development of the program or virus analysis)
It's odd that you have so few and yet you can still produce an anti virus that beats Norton, which has like 1000% more people.