Author Topic: Avast Free - safe for banking/shopping or not please?  (Read 20899 times)

sams_mum

Avast Free - safe for banking/shopping or not please?
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
Can you help with the following query please? Have tried searching the forum (including FAQs) to see if this has previously been covered but if so could not find, so apologies if it is there somewhere...

Have recently installed Avast free edition for my retired parents because the Virgin PC Guard was pretty much killing their PC. Am now considering moving to it myself when my free trial of McAfee (which came with the PC) comes to an end.

However, I'm confused as to whether the free version of Avast is safe for internet banking and shopping. Some reviews suggest it is and that the bought versions of Avast are only really needed for unusual usage such as small business use. However, much of the wording on the Avast home site suggest it is not.

Don't want to do anything dodgy, just buy manage accounts with the big high street banks and buy from major online traders (Amazon, M&S, etc), who mostly have secure transactions (which I would look for before a trade).

I'd like a definitive answer please, and if banking and shopping are not secure for the bog-standard home user (with Avast Free) then some understanding of why not.

All help very much appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free - safe for banking/shopping or not please?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
I have been using the free version of avast in various product versions for almost 6 years and no problems.

Your AV is one element of your overall security, your firewall is another and perhaps an other anti-spyware as a compliment to avast, check my signature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
Be sure the URL is https. The S is for secure. Also be aware, and instruct your parents about phishing.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
I've used avast (free versions, like David) for a number of years and have had no problems with my bank, PayPal, etc.  My bank may or may not be unusual, in that their entire site is HTTPS, so I'm on a secure connection even if just viewing their public news and notices, hints & tips, etc., and not logged in to my own account.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:05:03 AM »
Same goes for me.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:02 AM »
Hi...

There is a component of AVG that can work either with AVG Antivirus (integrated) or as a standalone product that will work with other AV's called AVG Identity Protection that addresses the issue you've written about. I purchased a copy it a while back for my laptop and it has run well beside Avira AV and can run in 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows. :)

Hope this helps...

God bless :)

jeffj4873

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 05:33:01 AM »
I have been online banking with AVAST for years. And almost all Banks have you logon Https rather than http.
Ardvark - the Lord must bless you for real using AVG. I would never use that software for a secure transaction.

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
Ardvark - the Lord must bless you for real using AVG. I would never use that software for a secure transaction.

Hi...

Is AVG that bad? The ID component actually blocked a download I was attempting to obtain a while back because of how the program was attempting to execute.

God bless :)

jeffj4873

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 06:04:26 PM »
It didn't protect mycomputer at all. Worst case of malware and trojan attack I'd ever seen. No other antivirus projam had ever been that slack. Not Avast or Norton's. It took Avast to kill the Trojan and 3 different Malware programs to clean the pc. Since I have been with Avast, I don't experience Malware attacks anymore either. You like AVG, more power to ya, me I consider it the toy that you give your child so that he can mimic what you do. Sorry Brother. God Bless

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but ... one of the biggest advantages of using your bank's online services is that it makes it much more convenient to monitor your accounts to spot any unexpected or unauthorized activity.  Better still if, like me, you also have Visa (or whatever) from the same bank, then you can check that too at the same time.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but ... one of the biggest advantages of using your bank's online services is that it makes it much more convenient to monitor your accounts to spot any unexpected or unauthorized activity.  Better still if, like me, you also have Visa (or whatever) from the same bank, then you can check that too at the same time.

+1

Though I'm on Linux most of the time, I don't worry about using online banking on Windows, for the reasons already mentioned (keep everything updated, and don't do anything stupid).

And, like Mike, I try to do everything online. It's much easier to keep track of what's going on that way.

ardvark

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41:41 AM »
It didn't protect mycomputer at all. Worst case of malware and trojan attack I'd ever seen. No other antivirus projam had ever been that slack. Not Avast or Norton's. It took Avast to kill the Trojan and 3 different Malware programs to clean the pc. Since I have been with Avast, I don't experience Malware attacks anymore either. You like AVG, more power to ya, me I consider it the toy that you give your child so that he can mimic what you do. Sorry Brother. God Bless

Hi...

You have to pay for the ID Protection component so I'm not sure if you had that installed or not. However, I can certainly understand how your experience could leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth concerning AVG's detection capabilities. :(

May God bless you as well :)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:22:50 AM »
Avast is much better than AVG !

cod head

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
Reading ardvark's post I do not think he is promoting AVG anti virus he is talking about AVG Identity protection Program that will work alongside other A.V.software as I understand.ardvark is as we know a Avast user.Its not something I would use but if ardvark likes it in his layered protection its his choice.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:13:51 PM by cod head »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
Even it is not better than avast we should get respect to it right?
Because a program cannot be done just like this by everyone and they are offering virus and spyware protection.It is now up to users for which av they will choose :)