Author Topic: I need clear answers, sorry...  (Read 1891 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
I need clear answers, sorry...
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »
I would like to put some questions and need clear answers and step-by-step instructions.

1) Avast 5 can't check TLS/SSL-protected e-mails. I have three e-mail accounts of the type in Thunderbird, all of them are Gmail-powered and as far as I know Gmail itself checks all its mail traffic. Do I really have to disable TLS/SSL on my Gmail accounts?

2) Everything I read here was about disabling TLS/SSL in MS Outlook. In some posts people say that turning TLS/SSL off in Avast options is enough, others say you need change settings in your e-mail clients. What should I really do if I'm using Thunderbird? Please, do give me step-by-step instructions.
May the FOSS be with you!

spg SCOTT

Re: I need clear answers, sorry...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
Hi George,

avast! 5 cannot check SSL protected emails, so there is a workarounds built into the program. What it does is take unencrypted mail fro say TB, scans it, and then sends it off to gmail encrypted, so it provides the SSL for the emails.

Essentially, there is not really any need for it to scan emails, and I'm sure that there are some here that will post why, and also with a link...

IIRC Gmail scans emails (with TrendMicro I think)

To set gmail up in Thunderbird, your settings should look like the images:

-Scott-