Author Topic: UAC blocking install of Avast. . .  (Read 4292 times)

NTxLS

UAC blocking install of Avast. . .
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »
This is the original problem I was having with my Dell Inspiron 531S AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3GHz 4.0 GB RAM Windows Vista SP2 32-bit O/S.

My firewall is CIS (Comodo Internet Security).  Could not get CIS to display their icon in my system tray, without that the Warning feature of their firewall and Defense+ (HIPS) would not work as programmed.  I had these two programs working together before and suddenly this started, upsetting my 'apple cart.'  I shutdown my system every night because of power outages in this area where I live.  I like the feature of Avast! to schedule an early scan before Windows has started, well that is when Avast found the finger print of a Trojan in the setup file for CIS, that was on my system and I removed that setup file and CIS then using Windows Firewall until this could be resolved.  Later found this was a FP (false positive) by Avast!.  Was recommended by CIS Forums to remove Avast! and reinstall CIS/w AntiVirus which I did.  Removed Avast!4 v4.8 and cleaned the system of any entries for Avast.  Received many more FPs from CIS antivirus so decided to remove the antivirus from CIS and reinstall Avast!.  The only method for getting the CIS icon to display was to execute CIS from another ICON, after Windows was started, like in the Start/Program Files.  Then the Task Manager would display two CFP.EXE programs running when only one should be the case.  CIS AntiVirus installed to satisfy their requirement of using their program for the scan of my system prior to using their firewall.  After the reinstall operations were done the problem was still the same.  Removed the AntiVirus feature of CIS and downloaded a fresh copy of Avast! Home Edition and clicked on that file to start the install, 'RED UAC warning box came up telling me this was blocked by my Administrator, that is me & I did not do that, and this file was from an untrusted publisher' or words to that effect.

I was getting a little concerned there might be some varment infecting my system.  After much searching and reading Google Searches and blogs a method was found to get around this 'RED UAC warning Box,' because; I could not even right click on the Avast! Icon in the system tray to start a scan nor Schedule an early scan when booting.  It was time consuming and a real pain in the a_ "OOPs" neck(?) and that was to open a CommandLine as Admin and execute the "ASHAVAST.EXE" every time it was needed, my security blanket.

Then just a couple of days ago I found "Smart UAC Replacement" which looks like a solving of this problem as well as those annoying Password popups that Microsoft added to Vista with UAC.  I downloaded and installed this program and it seems most, if not all of my problems have gone away.  So far so good . . there seems to be a little problem with 'Smart UAC Replacement' that I still need to get in-touch with the creators to inform them.

Well that is my story and I am going to stick too it, until someone finds problems that I have yet to discover.
Thank you for reading about my problems, that may have been created by me,
TIA, CU L8R,
NTxLS

YoKenny

Re: UAC blocking install of Avast. . .
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:33:46 AM »
I would rather run Norton than Comodo:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

NTxLS

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
Thank you for this information, I will not use NORTON, refusal.  As it stands now I am no longer on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 as I have now gone to Win7 Home Premium 64bit and do not use the Comodo firewall any longer, Windows Security is now being used.  Comodo was blocking my Windows Update and the only way to get my updates was to Disable Comodo, switched to Windows.   With this change came the feature of my Icons for my startup programs are now back to normal.

This is not requiring any response, unless you feel an obligation, Win7 should be used in place of Vista (BARF!!!),

TIA, CU L8R,
NTxLS

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
Thank you for this information, I will not use NORTON, refusal.  As it stands now I am no longer on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 as I have now gone to Win7 Home Premium 64bit and do not use the Comodo firewall any longer, Windows Security is now being used.  Comodo was blocking my Windows Update and the only way to get my updates was to Disable Comodo, switched to Windows.   With this change came the feature of my Icons for my startup programs are now back to normal.

This is not requiring any response, unless you feel an obligation, Win7 should be used in place of Vista (BARF!!!),

TIA, CU L8R,
NTxLS

I agree about Norton/Symantec products. I have been burned too many times in the past. I disagree though on the later comment. IMO there is nothing wrong with Vista. Win 7 is nothing more than Vista sp3. Its amazing how renaming a product can change it from evil to the best thing since sliced bread. I see no reason to replace Vista with Win 7 unless you need native SSD trim support.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript