Author Topic: Trying to do Java Development having Avast 5 installed  (Read 6356 times)

udy

Trying to do Java Development having Avast 5 installed
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »
I have version 5.0.396 installed on my Win XP SP2 system.

I'm trying to do some java development, using NetBeans, but it takes a lot of minutes until NetBeans finishes scanning the classpath, and the project files. The scanning usually takes only seconds while Avast is disabled. Also the build -> run cicle of a project takes MUCH longer with Avast on (many, many seconds, more than a minute maybe; I never bothered to measure), than it takes with Avast off (a couple of seconds)

I tried to add exceptions for paths NetBeans scans, I also added Java to the exceptions, and NetBeans itself. It didn't work.

I also noticed general slowdown since I installed Avast 5. As an example, Total Commander browses files much slower.

I appreciate any ideas. Until then I have to disable Avast, in order to be able to work.

Thanks,
Clau
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:42:00 AM by udy »

waking

Re: Trying to do Java Development having Avast 5 installed
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:25:48 AM »
What are your settings for the File System Shield?
Specifically, do you have "Scan all files" checked under
"Scan when opening" and/or "Scan when writing"?

If you do, try turning that off. Use "Scan documents when opening"
and "Scan files with default extensions".

Also, under "Sensitivity" make sure you do not have "Test whole files" checked.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 06:35:42 AM »
I see you are still running Windows Service Pack 2 so you should install Windows Service Pack 3 that has been available for over a year and a half that contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

udy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
What are your settings for the File System Shield?
Specifically, do you have "Scan all files" checked under
"Scan when opening" and/or "Scan when writing"?

If you do, try turning that off. Use "Scan documents when opening"
and "Scan files with default extensions".

Also, under "Sensitivity" make sure you do not have "Test whole files" checked.

Thanks for your reply, waking. All the settings are on default, so what you are recommending is what I see. I only played with the exclusions, which I think should be the solution, but they are not.

udy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
I see you are still running Windows Service Pack 2 so you should install Windows Service Pack 3 that has been available for over a year and a half that contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Thanks for your reply YoKenny.
I can't see how that would solve the issue. Is Avast 5 somehow based on some fix in SP3? I should know that. Then the system requirements should state that.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »
System requirements

Processor Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM, 100 MB of free hard disk space
Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64 bit)
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download#tab2

That is the minimum requirements but I sure would not want to run avast! V5 on a Pentium 3 with 128MB RAM.

udy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 04:10:39 PM »
System requirements

Processor Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM, 100 MB of free hard disk space
Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64 bit)
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download#tab2

That is the minimum requirements but I sure would not want to run avast! V5 on a Pentium 3 with 128MB RAM.

I think you are joking. Minimum would be Win 2000, or XP, or XP SP1. I wouldn't talk about hardware here.

Think of it as being a limitation imposed by an IT department (not installing SP3, or whatever until evaluating), but which would want to test Avast 5. There is always a tradeoff.

What I would like is to have an official stand on these sort of issues. Are you an official? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your time spent on this, but take into account the possibility above.

udy

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
Also, I might be newbie in these forums, but I've never had the problems mentioned above while using Avast 4.8.

2meme2

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
I tried to add exceptions for paths NetBeans scans, I also added Java to the exceptions, and NetBeans itself. It didn't work.

In where global exclusion list or in the file system shield?
hint:I would try file system shield...

udy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
In where global exclusion list or in the file system shield?
hint:I would try file system shield...

The exceptions are set in the File System Shield section. Maybe I should try the Global section  :P

And I tried it in the Global section too, with the same results. :(

udy

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
After making the latest exclusions (global), I thought to restart the computer. And it seems to work after the restart. Why would the settings take effect only after a restart? Maybe the univers plotted towards that.

I'm still on XP SP2, so SP3 isn't mandatory after all.

Maybe it's worth investigating; by someone in the team.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »
There are quite a few things in v5 which seem to require a reboot (or even two) to make changes in settings active.  In some cases this is even necessary with default settings -- I had to reboot a couple of times before the descriptions and start buttons on the scan screen became visible and usable.  Oddly, if I set up a custom scan that was, to the best of my memory, the same as a full system scan, that became usable immediately.

Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

udy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
I wonder if anybody at Avast knows about these issues, or read the forum.