Author Topic: Manual Update (offline) impossible  (Read 12199 times)

Arabella

Re: Manual Update (offline) impossible
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
@nuz
I'm trying to update offline with the vpsupd.exe from another PC with Internet-connection. Please read the whole thread.
When on dial-up, it lasts a time till something happens, that's right. You see this when update is complete, download-time and time of whole process.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
I might have missed this in an earlier posting, plus I've never yet played with the vpsupd specific to v5 (wasn't even sure it was available yet), so this may be totally off-base.  On the offline computer, do you need to temporarily disable the self-protect thing while running vpsupd?  You didn't in 4.8, but of course there's been major changes to the way updates work in 5.

I'm in essentially the same position, my wife's computer doesn't have internet access and I've been using the 4.8 vpsupd once a month or so on hers.  Haven't yet upgraded hers to 5, but of course without internet access her likelihood of running into malware is much lower.

I'd like to see a "sticky" on this matter (offline updates), since obviously there's bits and pieces of info about it all over the forums which don't fit neatly together.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Stran05

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
You say it takes 5 mins to update Virus defintions on dial-up. Huh! I am on BSNL WLL(Dial-up) and updating Avast! takes about 1 min 43 secs to be precise. The updates are small(about 250kb max and 25kb min) so you say it takes 5 mins to download 250kb? You must be fibbing. Ask DavidR, he is also on dial-up.

Arabella

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
After another try, which ended as usual, I started WinXP in safe mode and - astonishing - avast was updated! Maybe this is helpful to find the fault...
Greetz
Arabella

spg SCOTT

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
After another try, which ended as usual, I started WinXP in safe mode and - astonishing - avast was updated! Maybe this is helpful to find the fault...
Greetz
Arabella

Ok, now I am guessing but it seems that something within avast! is interfering...

I wouldn't have thought that the self protection module would have an effect - I don't think it should - but maybe try the update in normal mode with the self protection module off?

Open GUI --> 'Settings' in the top right --> 'Troubleshooting' tab -->Un check 'enable self defense module'

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »
Greetz
Arabella

Ok, now I am guessing but it seems that something within avast! is interfering...

I wouldn't have thought that the self protection module would have an effect - I don't think it should - but maybe try the update in normal mode with the self protection module off?

Open GUI --> 'Settings' in the top right --> 'Troubleshooting' tab -->Un check 'enable self defense module'

@ Arabella
By booting into safe mode before running the vpsupd.exe file, avast isn't running so the manual update doesn't bump into the avast self-defence, which appears to treat this vpsupd.exe changing avast files in the same way an any application run outside of avast and blocks it.

So I would say that Scott's suggestion to first disable the self-defence module before running the vpsupd.exe from normal mode should also work. So it would be nice to confirm that it does work when you next do a manual update with vpsupd.exe ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cupez80

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »
yep. it works in normal mode with self-defense disabled :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, glad that it is now working for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arabella

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
@ spg SCOTT & DavidR

This is it! Thank you for your kind help! Switching off the selfdefense-module before updating manually worked... After updating I enabled selfdefense again. Is there a way to modify avast in the future (like version 4.8 was) that I don't have to do this procedure?
THX again
Arabella

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 02:36:29 PM »
I'm not sure what procedure it is that you speak of from 4.8, if it relates to disabling self-defence, that has always been the same 4.8 or 5.0, via the Troubleshooting section ?

Arabella

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »
Please excuse my english, what I was trying to say: I used avast 4 for years without problems, always updating the virus-definitions "externally" with the vpsupd.exe from a computer with fast internet-connection and didn't have to disable the self-protection module. Now in version 5 I have to disable the module, update and then enable the module again. Of course just a few clicks but for a lazy person a little bit annoying. Is there no way avast recognizes the vpsupd.exe as "known" to avoid this procedure?
Best regards
Arabella

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
I think it is because the avast self-defence module has been strengthened up not to have exclusions on outside applications and effectively vpsupd.exe is running outside avast.

There really should be no need to update in this way (downloading the whole virus definitions) as the auto update function of the virus definitions is incremental and measures in KB rather than 30MB plus of the vpsupd.exe method. Not only that but because avast itself is initiating this update and not an outside source there is no need to disable the self-defence module.

So for a lazy person, the auto update process is totally hands off and you get notified when an update has been done, see image.

So what is wrong with that method ?

Arabella

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
There is nothing wrong with automatic updates, just in case of there is no or only a dial-up internet-connection the manual update-mode COULD be easier.
Thank you again for your help!
A.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »
You're welcome.

Even on dial-up the auto update isn't an issue, as I have had avast for 6 years and all that time a dial-up user ;D