Author Topic: Avast 5 Mail Shield will not turn on  (Read 5076 times)

Vinckett

Avast 5 Mail Shield will not turn on
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
I've just upgraded to Avast 5 from 4.8 which was running fine but now the mail shield will not turn on. I click the Fix It button and nothing happens. I have Windows 7 Ultimate and use Incredimail 2.0 as my mail client and I have no encypted SSL or otherwise secured mail accounts.   I did have a lot of probems getting Avast to install as it hung 3 or 4 times when running vcredist_x86_SP1.exe or something like that.  I ended up going to the microsoft site and manually installing the same file and next time after yet another reboot i tried the Avast installation and it seems to work OK apart from the mail shield.
Any ideas anyone?

donnavast

Re: Avast 5 Mail Shield will not turn on
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
I have the SAME problem... only a new install of Avast 5 yesterday.  I have Vista Home Premium (yuck) and Courier email, nothing fancy or odd... yet I cannot get Mail Shield to turn on or the FIX button to work... so guess unless someone can answer this dilemma, I'll have to switch to another AV product... sad because I have used Avast for years & loved it.

Gargamel360

Re: Avast 5 Mail Shield will not turn on
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
You could try a Repair first.

Proceed as if you are going to uninstall Avast! through Windows, but choose the "repair" option when it appears.