Author Topic: Avast vs5.0 Updates  (Read 6962 times)

NLT

Avast vs5.0 Updates
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:53:56 PM »
I installed the new Avast version five days ago.  I have the settings for the Engine and Virus definitions for "automatic updates" and the Program updates as "ask when an update is available".  Also, under the "Update Parameters", I have dotted "I only connect to the internet using a dialup modem".  Well, I have not once had an automatic update, nor any notification of one being available, as what was previously done with the 4.8 Home addition.  Each time, I have had to obtain updates manually.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Maybe there's something I'm missing.  Thanks.  (BTW, under the "Proxy Settings", I have dotted "direct connection, no proxy" as was recommended in the Help section.)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast vs5.0 Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
(BTW, under the "Proxy Settings", I have dotted "direct connection, no proxy" as was recommended in the Help section.)
If you are on Dial-up, then you don't have a direct connection (broadband) i think you should remove this
But DavidR can clarify this, he is using dial-up.....

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:31:46 PM »
In another thread here, DavidR commented that ticking the "dial-up" option, for whatever reason, apparently disables auto-checks no matter what kind of connection you have.  Try unticking both options, it worked for me (I'm on DSL).
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
(BTW, under the "Proxy Settings", I have dotted "direct connection, no proxy" as was recommended in the Help section.)
If you are on Dial-up, then you don't have a direct connection (broadband) i think you should remove this
But DavidR can clarify this, he is using dial-up.....

That is incorrect, as it is talking about "do you use a proxy" and no I don't. I connect directly to the internet (which doesn't depend on the connection type dial-up or broadband) as and when I connect, not through a proxy.

In another thread here, DavidR commented that ticking the "dial-up" option, for whatever reason, apparently disables auto-checks no matter what kind of connection you have.  Try unticking both options, it worked for me (I'm on DSL).
I set the update, connections, proxy stuff as I had in 4.8 and for whatever reason for a short time I didn't get auto updates, but at one point I did hear the female vioce, so I don't know for sure that this was the reason.

It was someone else had done the same thing and their unchecking of the dial-up option, which by default is unchecked (both options are) restored it for him and theoretically for me. Since both options are unchecked by default avast finds which method is used and should proceed.

So I don't know for sure, but If the dial-up option is checked, restore the default setting and see if that resolves it then that will lend more validation that this could well be a bug.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NLT

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »
Hi, I took DavidR's advice and returned Avast to its default settings.  I just received my first automatic update. 

With dialup, here is what my settings are set at:

Engine and Virus Definitions:"Automatic Update"
Program:  "Ask When an Update is Available"
Updated Parameters:  Both unticked
Proxy Settings:  Ticked "Auto detect (use Internet Explorer Settings)"

Thank you David, and all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »
You're welcome, glad that it is running now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blinkybill

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
Hi,

I had a similar thing with my Avast 5.0 as I installed it over 4.8
on both my pc and they both updated but the box at the bottom
saying the updates had been done didn't appear.
But tonight I just logged on with both pcs and they both got the
update box at the bottom so it seems it is working now.
I am also on dial-up but I don't have either of the Update Parameter
boxes ticked?.

cheers
blinky

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »
This may be one more case (of many we've found) where a reboot is necessary to make settings changes effective in v5.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

NLT

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 07:55:27 PM »
Hi,

I had a similar thing with my Avast 5.0 as I installed it over 4.8
on both my pc and they both updated but the box at the bottom
saying the updates had been done didn't appear.
But tonight I just logged on with both pcs and they both got the
update box at the bottom so it seems it is working now.
I am also on dial-up but I don't have either of the Update Parameter
boxes ticked?.

cheers

You are correct....you should NOT have either of the Updated Parameters boxes ticked.

blinky

DeHuC

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
I installed the new Avast version five days ago.  I have the settings for the Engine and Virus definitions for "automatic updates" and the Program updates as "ask when an update is available".  Also, under the "Update Parameters", I have dotted "I only connect to the internet using a dialup modem".  Well, I have not once had an automatic update, nor any notification of one being available, as what was previously done with the 4.8 Home addition. 

I have the same problem. There is no updates with marked "I only connect to the internet using a dialup modem"

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »
Have you done as suggested and uncheck that "I only connect to the internet using a dialup modem" option ?

If not do so and see if that works for you also.

DeHuC

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »
Have you done as suggested and uncheck that "I only connect to the internet using a dialup modem" option ?

If not do so and see if that works for you also.

Yes. It updates correctly with unchecked "I only connect to the internet using a dialup modem" option.

Zantonian

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »
Hey i’m having a problem with installing the updates that i download,
when i take them home to install them on my home pc, errors occur
i’m using avast vs5, and don’t use internet at home, so auto update is not a option for me. i download the update at work and take them home to install on my pc,
can anyone tel me why or help?????
PLEASE

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Hey i’m having a problem with installing the updates that i download,
when i take them home to install them on my home pc, errors occur
i’m using avast vs5, and don’t use internet at home, so auto update is not a option for me. i download the update at work and take them home to install on my pc,
can anyone tel me why or help?????
PLEASE
Hello,
welcome to the forum. What is the error which occur -- some screenshot should help.

Milos