Author Topic: Avast Pro 4.8.1368 Large Memory Usage!  (Read 12096 times)

steve-ru

Avast Pro 4.8.1368 Large Memory Usage!
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

Avast Pro 4.8.1368 - win XP-SP3 - 512MB Ram - Intel Mobile 2.2 GHz CPU

Avast is using alot of memory and CPU
i wonder how can fix this problem!
do i have to disable some shields?

Plz help me fix this problem!!!
i'm bored of it and i spent the whole day just for it!!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Pro 4.8.1368 Large Memory Usage!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
There's nothing to fix - I don't see anything extraordinary about the numbers your image shows.

steve-ru

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
There's nothing to fix - I don't see anything extraordinary about the numbers your image shows.

cuz i'm just writing to u and not opening online games or youtube!
btw thanks

yaslaw

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
It would be much faster if you upgrade to ver 5. It's lighter on my system than 4.8

steve-ru

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:35 PM »
It would be much faster if you upgrade to ver 5. It's lighter on my system than 4.8

WOW cool that's a good idea

thanks

steve-ru

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »
Tried to update the program to v5 but it's doesn't work!!!
i guess i have to uninstall 4.8 and install a new v5 ? right?
if so i don't want to do it, just wanna find a way to fix my 4.8 by disabling shields or changing some settings!!!

Any Info!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 11:27:07 PM »
Why didn't it work, what errors were displayed ?

You should be able to install avast 5 over 4.8 but that would require downloading avast 5 first in readiness.

Quote from: Steve Stevens
just wanna find a way to fix my 4.8 by disabling shields or changing some settings!!!

Just what is it that you want to do, if it is related to your memory use as has been said what you showed isn't excessive. Yes it will go up the more activity is being scanned, that is the price to pay for on-line protection and disabling the web shield would be absolutely crazy as that is one of the most important avast shields.

You don't say what your sensitivity settings are in the various shields, Normal is the default raise that and you will be scanning more and increasing RAM and CPU usage accordingly.

For XP 512MB RAM really isn't that much, whilst 256MB is considered a minimum for XP, that doesn't take into consideration what other applications you will be running. So I would suggest you try to get another 512MB taking it to 1GB RAM and that should improve overall system performance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

steve-ru

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:08:57 AM »
for sure i'm not going to disable web shield!
i was talking about disabling the other shields like P2P etc...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
You will find little benefit in that as if you don't use P2P or Instant Messaging, terminating those processes will achieve little as they aren't actively running, e.g. scanning data which would use resources...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

normishmael

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 01:40:45 AM »
@Steve Stevens:

Yes you can "upgrade" to Avast!5,(which is No lighter than the earlier versions)

Or you could take a walk on the wildside,and abandon outdated,ineffective,black listing tech all togather.

For example,consult the "BlackViper" site,disable all unneeded services and processes,uninstall Avast!,
Install Sandboxie free,and fork out for a one off payment of 35 US,for Shadow defender.
(For that matter you can download Sandboxie free,look into LUA&SRP,and forget Shadow Defender!!)

The combination of a properly configured Sandbox,and ShadowDefender will leave you more safe,and dreck free,than Avast!,Avira,Avg,or any other blacklister.

Plus you will cut your memory use to where your 512mb machine will seem like a race horse!!!

Igor said:
"There's nothing to fix - I don't see anything extraordinary about the numbers your image shows."

Yeah,that is the reply you can expect from dinosaurs.

Inal Haqq,Akh,
As-SalaamuAliakum Wa ramattullah,wa Brakatu.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:56:58 AM by normishmael »

steve-ru

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
@Steve Stevens:

Yes you can "upgrade" to Avast!5,(which is No lighter than the earlier versions)

Or you could take a walk on the wildside,and abandon outdated,ineffective,black listing tech all togather.

For example,consult the "BlackViper" site,disable all unneeded services and processes,uninstall Avast!,
Install Sandboxie free,and fork out for a one off payment of 35 US,for Shadow defender.
(For that matter you can download Sandboxie free,look into LUA&SRP,and forget Shadow Defender!!)

The combination of a properly configured Sandbox,and ShadowDefender will leave you more safe,and dreck free,than Avast!,Avira,Avg,or any other blacklister.

Plus you will cut your memory use to where your 512mb machine will seem like a race horse!!!

Igor said:
"There's nothing to fix - I don't see anything extraordinary about the numbers your image shows."

Yeah,that is the reply you can expect from dinosaurs.

Inal Haqq,Akh,
As-SalaamuAliakum Wa ramattullah,wa Brakatu.

WOW

That's what they call it a Golden Advice ;)
u gave me alot of amazing info!
Thanks alot bro.
w alaikom al salam :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »
Yeah, "great" advice from normishmael who obviously has very little idea what he's talking about.
Well, good luck with that.

steve-ru

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
Yeah, "great" advice from normishmael who obviously has very little idea what he's talking about.
Well, good luck with that.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

OMG i dont even know who to believe hehehehe

i just downloaded Avast v5 ;) gonna remove my cracked Avast 4.8 and install the Free Avast  ;D
while 4.8 is working and updating as normal since a month
but why should i use illegal keys while Avast offers a full amazing free version!

btw thx 4 Avast Team  ;D

gizbar

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »
@Steve Stevens

Please do some research before jumping on the bandwagon... What the hell is Shadow Defender? Had to google it to even find out what it was, and there's no record of it ever entering a good lab for independent testing. How do you know that he didn't write it... and that you'll just be giving him money?

I agree with Igor, there doesn't seem to be any unusual memory usage, and that other feller not knowing what he's on about...

Yes you could disable services at 'Black Viper's website'. I've used it myself, but you have to know what you're doing or you could end up doing more harm than good.

Your best bet is to find a bit of money for a memory upgrade. I'd suggest that 1Gb is a fair amount for a Windows XP system. It's never gonna be blindingly quick, as it's getting a bit older now, so more memory would be your best bet.

And you seem to be creating multiple threads asking generally the same question, as I'm sure I've posted about this to you before.

HTH, Gizbar.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:48 AM »
Cracked avast pro never gives you a better protection than the original one =_="