Author Topic: Vista Antivirus 2010 - Help to remove please  (Read 26030 times)

elton

Re: Vista Antivirus 2010 - Help to remove please
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »
Strange things have developed since the cure - and it's probably related to the cure perhaps. Could you give me some pointers?

The problem is my internet speed has reduced from circa 12-14,500kbps to 3-4,500kbps and I logged this as an issue with my ISP. A few minutes ago, I was using my lappy and tried a speed test to discover its 14,500 but the desktop PC is 4,000. Doh! Both are hard wired to my router at the moment.

The only difference between them is that I have installed the full Malwarebytes on the desktop - but I wouldn't have thought that this would mess up the internet connection. Looked at the Windows Task manager and the only odd process [I say odd because it never used to show like this] is NT Kernal & Systems which is running between 30-60% of CPU when I engage in something like the speed test.

Ordinarily, I think I would have started a new thread somewhere, but as there has been so much 'history' that may be related to it I thought this was the best place to start for answers.

So once again, I ask any ideas guys.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
Try turning off the MBAM protection module when running the speed test...

elton

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
Yeah, tried that and it made no difference whatsoever.

The NT Kernal & Systems cuts in and takes as much CPU as it wants and the PC crawls to a halt.

elton

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
There is an issue with Malwarebytes if the IP Protection is switched on it causes internet download speeds to be radically slowed down. It has been replicated by the Malwarebytes team and they are trying to resolve it.

So for the moment it is switched off on myu PC and my speed has returned.

Yee Ha!

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.  ;D

elton

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »
I do not believe this, but the freaking trojan has just returned in front of my very eyes! I am running the latest Avast and also running a purchased version of Malwarebytes and the damn thing has just waltzed in again!!!!

This morning I ran a complete scan of all my drives and received a clean bill of health. I had thought that running malwarebytes in resident mode would stop this kind of thing happening ... clearly not.

So I will go back through his thread and reapply and hopefully will rid myself once more.  :(

elton

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
Roughly 3 hours to get rid ...... I hope this time it stays gone Slightly concerned how it waltzed straight in .. but .. for now it's clear.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
As we have always said - this is a game of catchup and there will never be a 100% failsafe option.  The trigger files change daily alas

elton

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »
As we have always said - this is a game of catchup and there will never be a 100% failsafe option.  The trigger files change daily alas

Yeah, sad but true.

It appears to be still gone today so that's good news.

Thanks again for providing the tools to be rid of this 'waste of time' trojan.

Bejaymac

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 01:49:27 AM »
Caught this little basket case around the start of last month, it was hiding on a page over at piratebay (the bit-torrent site), and that is probably how you caught it for a second time, it's been lurking in the shadows on a website you've visited.

elton

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
Don't use bit-torrent ... never have. I was reading several blogs that I follow and it must have been on one of them. Of course I don't know which one because as soon as it appeared I closed the PC down. Next time [and I am sure there will be a next time] I will be less hasty in closing down and will log everything I was on at the time.

For now I'm happy it's gone.