Author Topic: Help: Windows XP fails to restart properly after Avast installation  (Read 3312 times)

lumiukko

Hi! Could anyone help me to solve my problem?

I have my laptop with Windows XP (home edition) and Norman Security Suite installed. At the end of last December, the license of Norman Security Suite was going to expire soon. So I downloaded the Avast Free version (I think it was version 4.8, downloaded at the end of last December) and installed it. I didn't uninstall Norman Security Suite first (probably I should?). After I have installed the Avast, it prompted to restart the computer. So I clicked OK.

However, after Windows XP restarts, it shows the desktop background and desktop icons, then it hangs there. I can move the mouse, however I can't select or activate any shortcut icons on the desktop background. On the Windows Taskbar, in the system tray area, it shows only the time, but no other small icons of those auto startup applications. If I move the mouse over the Taskbar, the mouse pointer turns into the "running" pointer, probably indicating that the Windows Explorer is not responding. The situation stays the same even if I wait for a long time. The time shown on the Taskbar stucks, not getting updated.

I tried to press the Power/Start button to restart Windows XP. It goes directly to the Windows desktop, without going to the login name selection first.

When I invoke the BIOS startup menu in the beginning of the Windows starting, it shows the options "Safe Mode"; "Safe Mode with Networking"; "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"; "Last Known Good Configuration"; and "Start Windows normally". However, I can't use the up or down arrow key to do the selection. "Start Windows normally" is highlighted, so after 30 seconds it starts Windows normally, which leads to the situation described above.

What shall I do now? I can't use that laptop anymore. At least how can I restart the Windows in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration?

Any help is much appreciated!

lumiukko

Re: Help: Windows XP fails to restart properly after Avast installation
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
Can anyone give a clue on what shall I do with my situation?

Thanks!

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
You will need a XP CD Rom to boot off to do a repair of windows i am afraid. As the arrow keys are not working under F8 safe mode selection. Looks like driver files are missing for keyboard SYS.

gizbar

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »
Think bobo1 is right. A repair install will be your way forward, I'm afraid.

This will re-install all the windows files, but will not write over any data on there. It will mean that you need to install all your programs again after. The other option, if you have it, is to see if there is a recovery partition on the disk. If you use that, it will revert your laptop to exactly how it left the factory, formatting the disk, and wiping all your data in the process.

Never install a new antivirus without completely removing the old one first. Most of the antivirus vendors are now providing uninstall packages (Avast included) to clear all traces of the old antivirus package, as they tend to leave registry traces behind, and other bits.

HTH, Gizbar.