Author Topic: The ball....and Norton/fix,clean  (Read 3058 times)

firstjohn3one

The ball....and Norton/fix,clean
« on: June 26, 2004, 07:03:28 AM »
Hello - I have gotten the latest verson of Avast on my daughter's XP Pro machine for college.  It is set up for automatic everything (which should be good for her!).  I looked over some doc - here are my final questions:

-  What exactly does the blue ball spinning around mean?

-  I know now it is better to 'move' a virus than delete it.  We did set up the recovery database.  The "repair" option is apparently to recreate a file from an earlier 'version' in that recovery database...  Question:  Compared to Norton, can/does Avast actually "fix/clean" viruses (vs. moving/deleting them).  It seems like that would be a significant advantage to Norton. I still have a couple months left on my Norton subscription and wondered if that's the reason that product costs money. I'd be happy to donate here, however!

Thanks for your help...  Doug the Dad and his homie computers....

Hawk

Re:The ball....and Norton/fix,clean
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 12:22:30 PM »
What exactly does the blue ball spinning around mean?

It means that the antivirus is scanning a file. (or more :) )

Question:  Compared to Norton, can/does Avast actually "fix/clean" viruses (vs. moving/deleting them)

IMHO I think that with Avast there is a better chance to fix an infected file because Avast has VRDB and Norton doesn't.

firstjohn3one

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 04:04:45 AM »
Thanks...I guess that's where this virus cleaner product comes in - notice Norton has similar cleaners as well...  DT

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 04:21:21 AM »
Wellcome!
VRDB is not a 'cleaner' tool. Is a database with the 'DNA' of the files.
If you want to know more, please, click on User's FAQ link on my signature and browse a little to the topic VRDB.

You do not have to donate but you can buy Pro version  ;D
The best things in life are free.