Author Topic: Avast 5 + MalwareBytes Pro = Conflict? --> More info needed.  (Read 30387 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Avast 5 + MalwareBytes Pro = Conflict? --> More info needed.
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
Hi guys,

some of you have reported a major conflict (random freezes, bsods etc) between avast 5 and the paid version of MBAM (which, unlike the free version, features an on-access scanner).

As we don't seem able to simulate the problem on our test systems, I'd like to find out more about the problem.

First, we made quite a few stability improvements in the recents builds of avast (not only in the program build 5.0.396, but also via subsequent virus definition updates).

So the first question is, is the problem happening even with an up-to-date installation of avast? (i.e. 5.0.396 and say yesterday's virus defs, i.e. 100206-0 or newer)?

If it is, can you please provide us with more information? Memory dumps would be most welcome (i.e. crash dumps if the system is bsoding, or manually initiated dumps if the system is hanging)...

With your help, we will hopefully be able to find (and fix) the problem soon.

Thanks much
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

YoKenny

Re: Avast 5 + MalwareBytes Pro = Conflict? --> More info needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
Memory dumps would be most welcome (i.e. crash dumps if the system is bsoding, or manually initiated dumps if the system is hanging)...

On my XP Pro system the system hangs if there is a virus defs update at cold boot up requiring a power off then on to recover.

How do I get a Memory dump if the system has hung?

The system also hangs if there is a virus defs update I believe as the system will hang if left on for long periods of time.

I am willing to remove Microsoft Security Essentials and try avast! V5 Free on my XP Pro system again that I will do right now.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
What I did:

Un-installed Microsoft Security Essentials then reboot
Un-installed Windows Defender then reboot
Windows Security Center indicates that there is no anti virus application
Ran aswclear.exe that I had done before then reboot
Download setup_av_free.exe from CNET Download.com: Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.396
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button
Ran setup_av_free.exe choosing Custom as I do not need P2P Shield and system hung during install requiring pressing Power button for 10 seconds
Powered up and Windows Security Center indicates that there is no anti virus application still
Noticed avast! icon rotating for a while then system hung requiring pressing Power button for 10 seconds

The hang looks like it occurs on virus defs update on my system.

I need to provide Memory dump on next system hang.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
How do I get a Memory dump if the system has hung?

Manual dump instructions: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
On my Windows 7 system I noticed that there was a Virus definitions version: update to 100707-0

I booted up my XP Pro system and after about 3 minutes it hung with a BSOD with:

Ox0000000E2 (0x000000 0000000 000000000) Note: there might not be the correct number of zeros there but it has indicated that Physical memory dump complete. is available.

So now I have to figure out how to zip the dump and upload it.

I have not had this much fun since Win98 days when I used to load a BSOD screensaver on people's systems that never locked them when they went to lunch as that was a job I was delegated to do by my employer to insure people followed company policy of locking up one's system when away from it:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897558.aspx

x1anar1x

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
I can not provide any "memory dump" or such but i can tell you that the updated version of Avast still has done nothing to correct the issue. Every time i log on to my Computer it freezes and the updates had little to no effect whatsoever, i do have MBAM v 1.41 and the resident protection they provide ON, so they probably conflict with each other on start up.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
I need a better roadmap as I can not get from point A to point B.

A being here on my XP Pro system and B being ftp.avast.com/incoming

I have Minidump Folder and MEMORY.zip Folder but I can't get there from here ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

I have Minidump Folder and MEMORY.zip Folder but I can't get there from here ???

First, please pick a more specific name as memory.zip may already exist in the ftp folder.
Next, what exactly is the problem? Just open
Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming in Explorer, and drag'n'drop the file to it...

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:45:41 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

coolsilver

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
The only issues I see with 5.0.396 are:

Netbook with Win 7 32 Bit Ultimate:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Network connection interupted a lot/not loading pages in firefox. Often just after updating definitions or while checking.
Random BSOD after update seems to been corrected (only happened once)
Very high CPU usage for videos/music causing audio slowing and glitching (seems to be as much a Win 7 problem as shields disabled it happens just not as much)

Otherwise no other freezes or issues

Laptop with Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Random pages not loading in firefox
No BSOD or freezes. Working fine with audio etc.

Both have MalwareBytes PRO with Protection on. Both are updating properly.

I would guess as before the XP specific code is more the issue than Win 7 or backward compatibility there of.

Anything I can do to confirm or replicate a problem I'll be happy to try.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
It's natural for two antispywarers to conflict.  Avast! has an antispyware module & mbam is one, so bang they're going to bang heads! ::)

It seems to me that if you make them compatible you will weaken one or both.   How do they decide which blocks and/or quarantines which spyware/malware?

I think it best to have mbam and SAS on-demand.  Let avast! be the real-time on access antispyware/antimalware.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:38:24 PM by rdmaloyjr »

coolsilver

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:10:09 PM »
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=38677&hl=avast

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=37726&hl=avast

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=10138&view=findpost&p=167851

Looks like they are fully aware their product is a problem with other security software.

Plenty of mention of other products with similar issues.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:15:37 PM by coolsilver »

coolsilver

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:35 PM »
WHOA!!!

IP protection is definitely an issue for me. I turned off the MBAM protection but left avast running as normal. Loaded a known youtube video with lots of issues with audio stuttering....

NONE ... even with Avast turned on. I turned the resident protection on and little change. The IP protection was still off. However, once turned IP protection on again... back to massive amounts of stuttering.

Now I do know IP protection blocks sites usually with a popup balloon when it does. But this seems to be limiting packets in a bad way.

Again I can only reproduce this on my Atom based netbook. No application freezes or other issues though.

I also just noticed my Toshiba Flash Cards for FN keys not loading unless MBAM is off.. then works ok for a while on or off :(
Other flash based videos still have an issue with MBAM off. :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:35:08 PM by coolsilver »

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:15 PM »

First, please pick a more specific name as memory.zip may already exist in the ftp folder.
Next, what exactly is the problem? Just open ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming in Explorer, and drag'n'drop the file to it...

Thanks
Vlk
I can't open the FTP site for some reason. ???

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 12:09:05 AM »
I tried another way and all it want to do is un-zip it back to my hard drive.

warlock

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 12:22:23 AM »
The forum software is doing stupid things to ftp addresses, converting them to http addresses, so what Vlk tried to type was:
ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Just press "Win+R", which will open the 'Run' dialog, and type:
explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incomingThis will open an explorer window, just drop the file inside of it and wait for the upload to finish.