Author Topic: Avast 5 + MalwareBytes Pro = Conflict? --> More info needed.  (Read 30388 times)

Offline -Genesis-

Re: Avast 5 + MalwareBytes Pro = Conflict? --> More info needed.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
Hopefully everything gets worked out. I don't want to move to Avira.

Like Vlk said...

It's like a classic conflict between two AV programs. Very typical. The only question is why it worked OK with avast v4.8 - but the stability with v4.8 must have been very fragile anyway (I can imagine system hanging pretty much randomly, even though maybe not too often).

I'll talk to Marcin (Malwarebytes' CEO) and discuss what we can do together.

I think it's a WinXP conflict only.

You can use Avast.

If your running MBAM Running Protection Module it has a probability it will conflict in Windows Xp only.

Use Avast without MBAM if your in Xp.

If you really want to have 2 protection software and you cant wait to be fixed.

Its your choice to use Avira ^^.

Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Avastfan1

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »
Update for VLK:

Random freezes are still occurring on my system. Specifically shortly after a cold boot, after executing manual definition and programe updates and usually when Firefox is open.

I am beginning to suspect this has a connection with manual and automatic updates. However, I am unsure and cannot offer any evidence to support this.

Without having to edit the registry, or use a paper bag, could you please advise how I can send Alwil a dump?

I am loathe to muck around with the registry as I am not that experienced with computers. Moreover, I have yet to experience the BSOD............

Avastfan1

hyjaxltd

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Hi guys,

some of you have reported a major conflict (random freezes, bsods etc) between avast 5 and the paid version of MBAM (which, unlike the free version, features an on-access scanner).

As we don't seem able to simulate the problem on our test systems, I'd like to find out more about the problem.

First, we made quite a few stability improvements in the recents builds of avast (not only in the program build 5.0.396, but also via subsequent virus definition updates).

So the first question is, is the problem happening even with an up-to-date installation of avast? (i.e. 5.0.396 and say yesterday's virus defs, i.e. 100206-0 or newer)?

If it is, can you please provide us with more information? Memory dumps would be most welcome (i.e. crash dumps if the system is bsoding, or manually initiated dumps if the system is hanging)...

With your help, we will hopefully be able to find (and fix) the problem soon.

Thanks much
Vlk

This may sound a lil sill Vlk, but at this point in todays common P2P game, you may want to consider having ANYONE with possible input email some kind of proof they are not using some OS they downloaded off P2P or torrent.  As you should know, there was a time when you could get reliable data from those areas but that is long gone.

Now, if someone has an OS that is infected from the getko what kind of results are you thinking they might be getting?  Questionable to say the least.  Also, you should consider having them prove their license validity for Malware Bytes Pro...again, if they got some haked version off P2P then ANYTHING they have given...even non-related to this issue...has destoryed the entire scope of purpose Avast is reaching for.

Yea, yea...Im sure alot will try and say Alwail has no right to see those things...and to that I say they ALSO have no right to take anything one provides withouit showing its from a CLEAN envirooment.  It like trying to develop a vaccintion for the flu while studying people who NEVER have the REAL flu...or are just plain sick with some other disease and anything you give them is not going to give ANY TYPE of accuracy for REAL results.

Other than that...have fun with some other issues.:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55182.msg466576#msg466576

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55186.msg466578#msg466578

and well, I just wouldnt be me without:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54889.msg465578#msg465578 (and thank you for consider this at least, I know it might be nothing but again, why should a security app need ANYTHING to do every task in its GUI?)

Peace Love Chaos...btw, I dont use Malware Bytes but can validate my Vista with a picture of me an todays paper with my COA, media, and booklet  8)  withpride.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
Thanks to everyone who helped with this issue. We have just released a pre-release build of avast (5.0.415) that should hopefully solve the issue. We'd be grateful if you could test it for us.

More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55365.0

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sded

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:22 AM »
Looks like MBAM has the same conflict with with MSE and added a FAQ to cover it, mandatory for XP users.  See section I of http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&hl=%255Cmbam-clean%255C MBAM FAQs.  Wonder if the same solution will work for Avast! 5?

chrisandbetty

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »
 ??? Hello
first let me say this is my  first purchased computer protection and am 68-I take some time to consider I think!! Any I am absolutly delighted with Avast! 5 full suite, however yesterday I seem to have lost IE 8 that came with windows7 and am also using Mawarebytes free software.

Today I had a look a Mwb and no problem but a mention at top of print out.Database version 3754,windows 6.1.7600,IE 8.0.7600.16385.

A bit above me but I still cannot find IE. I have had MWB free and Avast free for a couple of weeks and no problem.

Will I lose out in security if I delete MWB as it could become a bit of a pain for an amature PC user

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 05:41:37 PM »
Yup No problem but computer slowed down a lot after installing the pro ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »
Well at the very least I would exclude the _avast5_ folder from MBAM scans as that is where avast unpacks files to be scanned and this causes at the very least duplication of scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 05:31:36 AM »
Yup great idea :)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 06:17:42 AM »
??? Hello
first let me say this is my  first purchased computer protection and am 68-I take some time to consider I think!! Any I am absolutly delighted with Avast! 5 full suite, however yesterday I seem to have lost IE 8 that came with windows7 and am also using Mawarebytes free software.

Today I had a look a Mwb and no problem but a mention at top of print out.Database version 3754,windows 6.1.7600,IE 8.0.7600.16385.

A bit above me but I still cannot find IE. I have had MWB free and Avast free for a couple of weeks and no problem.

Will I lose out in security if I delete MWB as it could become a bit of a pain for an amature PC user

From what I can see, there has been no conflict between MWB free and avast free. You don't need to delete MWB but use it when you feel like scanning for spyware and make sure you update the program each time before you scan. You will see that many members will advise use of MWB free with avast free (both version 4.8 and version 5). Search the forum to find a few examples.

So your problem is that you still cannot find IE, is that right? Some of us would say that this is a lucky break rather than a problem, but all joking aside you should be able to find IE by clicking Start -> Programs -> Internet Explorer

Or look for it in Control Panel -> Programs and Features. It should be listed as Windows Internet Explorer 8. (I dont have Windows 7 but my directions should be close enough)

You definitely have IE8 - that is why it says so at the top of your MWB printout.

So now, which was your first purchased computer protection? As you say both MWB and avast that you have are the free versions. Or is that not correct?
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.