Author Topic: just installed avast and internet explorer wont work unless avast is disabled  (Read 7501 times)

nicebadboy518

i just installed avast (free version) now my internet explorer wont connect to the internet. when i disable avast internet explorer works. I'm running windows 7, 32 bit home version. i use zone alarm for my firewall and spybot too. yahoo messenger works with or with out avast disabled. i uninstalled norton 360 before installing avast, windows defender is off and so is windows firewall. anyone know whats going on with this avast? why I'm having this problem? thanks for any help you can give me. :-\

CharleyO

Welcome to the forums, nicebadboy518   :)

Tell us just how Norton was removed ... all the steps taken.

Is avast allowed through the ZA firewall?

sded

With Zone ALarm, also take a look at http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=22 and see if it applies to you.

simple1

if that doesn't work, disable the webscan realtime shield

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That is an option of last resort and I don't feel we are anywhere near last resorts.

The web shield is one of the most important shields so to get it running is the priority not disabling it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

simple1

It's a last resort I have had to take, because Ie8 doesn't work with avast5 with webshield enabled.. No answer I could find on here or elsewhere on the avast website, so it's either that, or choose a different scanner.

Fresh XP install with Windows firewall, no zonealarm or outbound firewall, clearly an Avast5 bug, if any proxy configuration is required, it should be done by the installation, and didn't fix my problem anyway.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:07:29 PM by simple1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well it certainly works for me XP Pro SP3, IE8 and firefox 3.6 are working just fine. There is no need to set a proxy as it is transparent in win2k and upwards only older OSes like win9.x, winME do you have to set the browser proxy (that is only for avast 4.8 as avast 5 doesn't work with these older OSes).

If avast had a bug then surely it it would be effecting all IE8 users and this clearly isn't the case. I have no idea why this isn't working on your system, but if firefox works then IE8 should too as they are treated in the same way.

The fact that setting the proxy didn't resolve anything still make me thing it is an IE8 issue, security settings to tight, etc. You could try setting IE8 back to the default security settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

simple1

Its a fresh install of XP, patched, default IE8 settings, works fine without webshield enabled, so nothing to do with IE, it's the virus scanner.

There are other reports of problems, I'm not the only one.

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled avast5, IE8 worked after install before reboot, and after reboot, but after a manual program and definition update, the problem starts.

Not too fussed about it, it's free after all, merely posted in this thread to provide the poster with a potential workaround, and if any of the developers read the site, highlight the bug to them

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:57:09 PM by simple1 »

CharleyO

Well, the OP has not replied since and not answered questions which could provide clues to why his  problem has happened ... which could also be completely different from the problem Simple1 experienced.