Author Topic: Avast 5 converts incoming mail to text from HTML help  (Read 4764 times)

markfw

Avast 5 converts incoming mail to text from HTML help
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
Hi there I have a problem as Avast mail scanner is not allowing HTML email to come through, only when I switch off mail scanner do they come through. I did not have this problem before, it must be something in the settings and for the life of me I cant remember and there is no default setting that one can revert to.

If you have any advice please advise me.

thanking you in advance

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 converts incoming mail to text from HTML help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
more details needed... are you using Outlook?

markfw

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
yes i am using outlook 2007 and i have not changed any settings its only since i have loaded avast 5

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
yes i am using outlook 2007 and i have not changed any settings its only since i have loaded avast 5

OK so go to the mail shield expert settings (behavior tab) and untick the options related to the Outlook plugin... see screen shot.

markfw

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
Still recieving only text

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
Still recieving only text

okay so I don't know, this solved the problem for some people who had the same behavior with Outlook and HTML... there's a bug anyway, many reported it. Will probably be solved with next program update.

edit: your only left option being to disable the email scanner in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:20:35 PM by Logos »

markfw

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:32:23 PM »
Ok I have found the solution and will post it shorlty, its a mission but I had to untick various options one by one and will post it shorlty

markfw

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Logos you where right but you have to untick all optoins in behaviour under general as well and then its ok
After clicking and clicking diff options and i dont know how many test emails lol.

markfw

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
I will run the test on Vista as well as Win 7 and post results as soon as I get them

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
Logos you where right but you have to untick all optoins in behaviour under general as well and then its ok
After clicking and clicking diff options and i dont know how many test emails lol.

OK but this also means that you won't have the inserted message about scanned email. Mails are still scanned though, can be checked in "message source".

edit: I don't use Outlook very often, I just referred to previous reports from users on Outlook 2007. There's no such issue as far as I can tell on Outlook 2010 beta, but again, I'm on Win 64 bit and the outlook plugin doesn't work there, so cannot interfere negatively.

markfw

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
Logos the same applies to win 7 and I will download outlook beta and test it. I am on a 32bit machine but i have 6 64bit machines that i will test as well as relay the results back to the forum. I have not found any performance issues even on our main server for our site compared to Nortons and others which uses alot of resources and all machines are way over 4-8gig ram. I just dont have the time to run specs today but will do so tomorrow as there are many clients who use Avast as well using our service. Once again many thanks
Mark

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
what I was saying is that the Outlook plugin doesn't work on 64 bit systems, that's not a bug, that's how the component part was developed so far. Otherwise all other email scanner functions, all activated, work perfectly fine in Win7 + Outlook 2010 beta
(concerning Outlook 2010, there's an RC now, but it doesn't seem to be available yet for everyone, just a pool of selected testers have access to the download).