Author Topic: INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.415]  (Read 54127 times)

Offline Snagglegrain

Re: INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.415]
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 05:33:24 AM »
I'm not too sure about it. It's a typical "two AV's running at the same time" type of conflict. Windows was simply not designed to handle that.
I'm puzzled by this statement, since MBAM worked very well with Avast 4.8.  It also works well with McAfee Enterprise 8.7, once you put a few simple exclusions into McAfee.  It also works well with Microsoft Security Essentials.  I know because I have MBAM with real-time protection on my WinXP Pro desktop that uses McAfee, and my Win 7 netbook that used to run Avast but which now runs MSE because I had serious problems when I moved to Avast 5.
Not necessarily.  It is my understanding that XP has its share of trouble handling MBAM Pro and avast 4.8.  I have extreme slow boot issues with one computer running that combo, and had to not start MBAM Pro with Windows in order to keep it all booting smoothly.  But I would say that you are correct in that the issues with avast 5.0 seem to be more widespread.  But they do exist with 4.8.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 05:35:58 AM »
Loaded one computer pre-release build direct over the top of .396 and another computer after first uninstalling .396.

Both successfull installs. So far no problems at all.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Jack 1000

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 05:47:12 AM »
I had one Welcome Screen hang after installing MS Office Student/Teacher Edition 2003 yesterday, but other than that, nothing.  Still running the General Release 5.0.396 version on Windows XP (SP-3)  Dell Series-3000 Desktop PC.

Jack

cyberqtf

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 05:52:10 AM »
 It is my understanding that XP has its share of trouble handling MBAM Pro and avast 4.8.  I have extreme slow boot issues with one computer running that combo, and had to not start MBAM Pro with Windows in order to keep it all booting smoothly.  But I would say that you are correct in that the issues with avast 5.0 seem to be more widespread.  But they do exist with 4.8.
Yes, on my old laptop running WinXP Pro and Avast 4.8, I had to delay MBAM's startup by about a minute to be sure it didn't conflict.  I think I read that with Win 7, a startup delay is built into MBAM.  But with the startup delay, I had no problems using Avast 4.8 and MBAM in real time on my Win XP laptop (which I no longer use, having replaced it with a much lighter Win 7 netbook). 

cazoza

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 06:15:55 AM »
Well this setup doesnt upgrade 4.8 to 5 in my pc. I dont know why, it has been the same since v5 came out. As far as there's no other setup, it doesn't work for me. Take care, i will keep 4.8 until it upgrades itself. Or when the other setup come out, i will test it, but with v5.0.396 i can install avast 5 pro as clean install, and not upgrade 4.8. And my trial of 5 pro expired, so i downgrade to my 4.8 pro. I will wait until official release for next build.

I will attach the setup debug log.

waking

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 06:42:22 AM »
The problem with IE freezing while reading a PDF still exists in 415.

As reported in this thread:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54703.0

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 07:28:44 AM »

Yes, that's true.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

olddog

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:33 AM »

Yes, that's true.

Vlk, is this problem only with Adobe Reader? I have not had any problems reading PDF files in either IE7 or Firefox 3.5.7, with either 396 or 415, but I'm using PDF Xchange Viewer, not Adobe.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 07:38:50 AM »

Yes, that's true.

Vlk, is this problem only with Adobe Reader? I have not had any problems reading PDF files in either IE7 or Firefox 3.5.7, with either 396 or 415, but I'm using PDF Xchange Viewer, not Adobe.

I don't know, really. We have the problem simulated here on one of our test machines. It will be fixed, but we just haven't had a chance to look into it.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

zfactor

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:23 AM »
vlk is the lic issue i mentioned due to this being a pre release?

i use foxit pdf reader and it works fine for me in ie8
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:45:26 AM by zfactor »

waking

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 07:58:25 AM »
AV Pro 5.0.415

Running IE 6 virtualized under XP SP3 is hopeless.

If I click on a recent URL from the dropdown box, it goes to that site.
If I try another, nothing happens. If I open my Favorites and click on
any link, nothing happens except perhaps the first time.

If I manage to get a site open, IE soon bogs down or aborts. See images.
I'm pretty sure it was working better than this under 396.

No apparent problems running Firefox 3.0.17 virtualized.

Jack 1000

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »

As reported in this thread:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54703.0

Yes, that's true.

I don't know, really. We have the problem simulated here on one of our test machines. It will be fixed, but we just haven't had a chance to look into it.

I had a similar issue with IE 7 and 8 but not related to Avast.  I had imported some old favorites that were a part of my original Dell system from 10 years ago!  And whenever I would open up a PDF file within IE, often times when I would go to try to open up one of the Imported Favorites, the folder would not show the favorites from within the Menu bar.  There were several workarounds:

1.) The issue only happened after a PDF file was opened from the IE browser from the Menu Bar.  Requiring to close IE and than reopen it to get to that old Imported Favorites Folder.

2.) Opening the folder from IE's Favorite Center showed no problems.

ALSO

3.) Changing Adobe Reader to NOT display PDF files in the browsers completely solved the problem.

The other thing about that folder:

Since they were Imported Read-Only files, sometimes when right-clicking after sending them to the Recycle Bin, while the Files themselves would delete, the bin would still show the icon as having something in it.  If you would try to delete a second time it would say something like "Cannot Delete Windows."  This is a very common bug that can happen from Windows 98 to XP.

Anyway, there are two options for workarounds:

1.) Unchecking "Read PDF files in browser" or

2.) Install Firefox or some other competing browser, which shows none of these issues.

So is this an Avast issue, or something related to IE and Windows that MS never got around to fixing?  Or is it an Adobe Reader issue?

Jack
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:01:51 AM by Jack 1000 »

MRDIN

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
I JUST REGISTER AVAST, I CANT OPEN THE REGISTRATION KEY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO I CAN CONTACT WITH THIS COMPANY?  THANKS

Jack 1000

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
AV Pro 5.0.415

Running IE 6 virtualized under XP SP3 is hopeless.

If I click on a recent URL from the dropdown box, it goes to that site.
If I try another, nothing happens. If I open my Favorites and click on
any link, nothing happens except perhaps the first time.

If I manage to get a site open, IE soon bogs down or aborts. See images.
I'm pretty sure it was working better than this under 396.

No apparent problems running Firefox 3.0.17 virtualized.

Running IE 6 may not only be hopeless, but it is much too dangerous security-wise because of it's age.

If you must use IE, upgrade to version 8.

If you can, I would really recommend an alternative browser such as Firefox or Google Chrome.  They are safer, faster, and more secure than IE.

Users still running Windows 98 can still run Firefox 2.5.  But because of the severe age of this OS, users under this Windows 98 scenario really should think about getting a new computer.  There's no Anti-Virus or any type of protection for an OS that old.  IE 6 really should have been discontinued several years ago.

Jack

waking

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 08:34:41 AM »
>Running IE 6 may not only be hopeless ...

Running IE 6 is not hopeless. Running it virtualized is.

>If you must use IE ...

All of which may be true, but is not relevant to the issue:
IE 6 works just fine for most sites, but can't really be said to
work *at all* when run virtualized under 415. If avast! wants
to put it on an "unsupported" list, fine. But until it is on such a
list, expecting it to function virtualized is not unreasonable.

A sandbox should be able to run virtually (no pun intended) *any*
program. Otherwise, its usefulness is questionable. Are you going to
tell malware authors that they *must* write their programs according
to Alwil's specs so their creations can be sandboxed in avast?