Author Topic: INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.415]  (Read 54385 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.415]
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:28 AM »
IE 6 works just fine for most sites, but can't really be said to
work *at all* when run virtualized under 415. If avast! wants
to put it on an "unsupported" list, fine. But until it is on such a
list, expecting it to function virtualized is not unreasonable.

A sandbox should be able to run virtually (no pun intended) *any*
program. Otherwise, its usefulness is questionable. Are you going to
tell malware authors that they *must* write their programs according
to Alwil's specs so their creations can be sandboxed in avast?

Is this problem new to build 415?

If it is, we will need to address it asap.
If it's not, we'll also address it but it's not a show-stopper for now.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
i bought three 3 pc lic keys for 2 years each i applied this update to one of my systems and it says invalid product key now. is this due to it being a pre release or is there something really wrong with my key. i have not updated the rest of them and they say they are fine still. thanks

zfactor, so you had a valid license file entered into the program, and it stopped working now?
Did you try to re-enter it into the program?

Alternatively, can you send the license file to my email address to simulate the problem in our lab? (click the envelope icon below my picture to do so).

Thanks
Vlk

zfactor

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
correct. it is a 2 year internet security 3pc key and after this update it says its not valid for this product. im not at that system now but i can send it tomm to you. i use that one in my office. when i get in tomm i can send it to you. yes i did try to re enter it with the same results.

so no one else has this issue. and should this build still be okay with a purchased key even though its beta?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:18:49 AM by zfactor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »
Sure, beta or not, the key should be validated in the same way...

waking

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »
Is this problem new to build 415?

I'm fairly certain it is. I'm sure I used IE 6 sandboxed quite a
few times under 396 and don't recall ever seeing this problem.
But it is there from the outset with 415.

Unfortunately, I can't say definitively that all tests were run
under *exactly* the same environment as I have recently
applied several MS patches to XP (and IE).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »
correct. it is a 2 year internet security 3pc key and after this update it says its not valid for this product. im not at that system now but i can send it tomm to you. i use that one in my office. when i get in tomm i can send it to you. yes i did try to re enter it with the same results.

so no one else has this issue. and should this build still be okay with a purchased key even though its beta?

When sending the license file to me, please also attach the avast\setup\setup.log file.

BTW the only change in the licensing component is that in now checks for pirated licenses more thoroughly. But that shouldn't be your case, right...? You bought the license via our official online store, correct?

Thanks
Vlk

Offline rnuis

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
How do you get a Beta testing Licnese ????Because i want too test this version and hope its better then the 396 version.

Greats,

rnuis

When sending the license file to me, please also attach the avast\setup\setup.log file.

BTW the only change in the licensing component is that in now checks for pirated licenses more thoroughly. But that shouldn't be your case, right...? You bought the license via our official online store, correct?

Thanks
Vlk
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

zfactor

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

Thanks
Vlk

correct i bought them from the avast site. i just updated one of the home systems and everything is fine with that one? should i try a fresh install on the one giving me issues? could it be something from the update of the files maybe? i guess it could be worth a shot ill do that in the morning and see if that works first. i know the first time i installed it on that system i could not get the web shield and firewall to start for anything so i reinstalled it and then they worked so maybe something messed up there.

i will let you know as soon as i try that, if not i hope its not the key itself.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
Running IE 6 virtualized under XP SP3 is hopeless.
No problem here on an XP SP3 machine that is running IE 6.0.2900.5512 virtualized.

However, could you please download http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/snxConfig.exe, disable Process/Thread hooking and try it again?
What other addons do you have installed in IE6? [see Tools/Manage-Addons...]
Thanks.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »
Why is avast! constantly poping up zones popup on every system start? It's so annoying and i hope it'll be fixed soon.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

twl845

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
 It is my understanding that XP has its share of trouble handling MBAM Pro and avast 4.8.  I have extreme slow boot issues with one computer running that combo, and had to not start MBAM Pro with Windows in order to keep it all booting smoothly.  But I would say that you are correct in that the issues with avast 5.0 seem to be more widespread.  But they do exist with 4.8.
Yes, on my old laptop running WinXP Pro and Avast 4.8, I had to delay MBAM's startup by about a minute to be sure it didn't conflict.  I think I read that with Win 7, a startup delay is built into MBAM.  But with the startup delay, I had no problems using Avast 4.8 and MBAM in real time on my Win XP laptop (which I no longer use, having replaced it with a much lighter Win 7 netbook). 
I delayed MBAM 55 seconds which pretty much solved the problem except for a few scattered hangs. The only problem doing that is when MBAM updates to a new version you have to set it up again.

s4u

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
Why is avast! constantly poping up zones popup on every system start? It's so annoying and i hope it'll be fixed soon.
I agree this is really annoying.
Hope it can be set off

s4u

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
Downloading the file now. Will install it later today

disPlay

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
VLK in this version the behavior shield works in 64 bit OS?

Hermite15

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:40 PM »
VLK in this version the behavior shield works in 64 bit OS?

it's not a matter of program version, but a matter of rule sets that don't currently exist for the BS in 64 bit OS.