Author Topic: INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.415]  (Read 54140 times)

twl845

Re: INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.415]
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2010, 01:24:43 AM »
Thank you for making the pre-release v5.0.415 available. According to the posts no one seems to be having problems with it. I would like to wait until it is released before I upgrade to it, so can anyone predict how much longer that will be?  :)

cyberqtf

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
If you use WinPatrol, you can set it to delay some programs at startup.
Since it uses the program path/filenames, updates won't change anything.
It may be a registered feature though.
But it's quite inexpensive and well worth the expense, IMHO.
Yes, I used WinPatrol, and I didn't have to change anything when there were updates.  And I second your recommendation.  WinPatrol is an immensely useful little program.  It's available in a freeware version that I think includes the delayed startup feature, but I use the modestly-priced PLUS version and, like you, I find it well worth the money.  Two nice things: you can use it on all your computers, and once you've bought it, your license is a lifetime license.  You never have to pay for updates.

zfactor

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »
seem to be having a issue with the firewall now. with my hp wireless printer. for some reason with .415 the firewall goes nuts spiking all over the place. i reinstalled the previous version and i do not see this action. now im not sure if the previous version was incorrect in its reporting or not or if this one is though.. if i remove the network drive (it sees the printer as a network drive location) the firewall flattens out again and the multiple snmp's showing up stop with .415 this as i said does not happen with 396 and i dont have to disconnect the network drive because it does not react like this. what could be the cause. i am seeing the same results on 2 different systems with this printer and avast

hyjaxltd

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2010, 04:20:02 AM »
VLK in this version the behavior shield works in 64 bit OS?

it's not a matter of program version, but a matter of rule sets that don't currently exist for the BS in 64 bit OS.
What else isnt goning to function on the x64 bit and will it still try, or just not install/initiate?

I think alot of vendors are having conflict issues they may not be aware of yet...but I haven't had problems yet.  I will try this one but want to install without 'script' or 'behav' chelid....or any other peice that will/might be useless on 64 bit.

BTW...script shield doesnt seem to give issues, just to much blockage...wish it had some more control to it.  If I just turn it off then my 'tray icon' has an "!" ??? on it.

waking

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2010, 04:33:31 AM »
If I just turn it off then my 'tray icon' has an "!" ??? on it.

Go to the main Settings menus, and under "Status Bar" UNcheck "Script shield".

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2010, 05:16:23 AM »
Nice we are sure looking forward in the testing :)

hyjaxltd

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:25 AM »
If I just turn it off then my 'tray icon' has an "!" ??? on it.

Go to the main Settings menus, and under "Status Bar" UNcheck "Script shield".

Actually, installing with custom option and deseleting the script shield seems to have worked, however, upon install restart icon had "!" but not for scrip[t shield...then windows popup 'Avast stopped working'...I manually turned off my network connections and everything is fine again.  I think this all has to do with activation/demo key somehow.  BTW, this was with open connection during installation.  Only thing out of ordianry was install without scirpt shield.

I copied the windows error report to a notepad, should I upload it or other log files to make sure that its all about the activation/demo key refresh?  Heres the win report:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BEX
  Application Name:   afwServ.exe
  Application Version:   5.0.417.0
  Application Timestamp:   4b715170
  Fault Module Name:   aswCmnBS.dll_unloaded
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4b68a01b
  Exception Offset:   744a20a5
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Data:   00000008
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033

EDIT:  I had to manually restart the firewall though, even though the summary screen said it was running but on its own screen it showed not active???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:49:25 AM by hyjaxltd »

coolsilver

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »
By the faulting module name looks like your Behavior Shield is throwing issues.

Did you install that shield as well? I know previously others had the errors when the Behavior Shield was not installed but Avast seemed to be working properly other than notifications not working right.

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »
Firewall has still huge problems to assign groups in Application Control when the Group "Other" exists.

ltelmo

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
Howdy,
Been using the 396 version but uninstalled do to some issues saw the 415 up installed it clean , not over the top and It will not register. All boxes fill in normal but when clicking submit nothing happens. Just wanted to pass that on if anyone else seen it. Other than that Love the new logo and colors and love the fast responses and a friendly support forum.
Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
Been using the 396 version but uninstalled do to some issues saw the 415 up installed it clean , not over the top and It will not register. All boxes fill in normal but when clicking submit nothing happens. Just wanted to pass that on if anyone else seen it. Other than that Love the new logo and colors and love the fast responses and a friendly support forum.

This is a known problem, will be fixed soon.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gordon451

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
OK...  Does .415 include the MSV*90.dll pack yet?  For those of us that have not got, or had, Visual Studio 2008 -- and don't ever want to have it -- Alwil should put the redistributable components Avast! needs into the download, or point us to them on the Avast! website.  We should not have to find them in this forum if Avast! requires them for any of its functionality.  >:(

Gordon.

coper

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
when will be final of 5.0.415? will be this week?

sebailey

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »
Installed .415 fine over .396 Pro. No reported issues BUT still very slow boot up on XP. BTW I am not using MBAM other than the free on demand version so not sure that is the complete cause of the slow boot process. Its actually as soon as the desktop appears (partially) everything just stops, No hard drive activity, the rest of the desktop icons do not appear. Then several minutes later it continues its boot-up process and loads the rest of the icons and other applications. I am hearing that is just the Pro version doing that. Can someone confirm this? Maybe I will install free and see if it stops.

[EDIT]  Ok uninstalled Pro and installed Free version. The boot delay did not happen. All icons appeared almost instantly and other apps started loading up in taskbar.  On the free ver I left the "load avast after other services" unchecked and was still way faster than Pro. Pro I had that checked to see if it would help and it did not.  So apparently there is an issue with Pro that is causing this delay and it still exists in .415
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:35:47 PM by sebailey »

hyjaxltd

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »
By the faulting module name looks like your Behavior Shield is throwing issues.

Did you install that shield as well? I know previously others had the errors when the Behavior Shield was not installed but Avast seemed to be working properly other than notifications not working right.
I did not change anything except install without 'Script sheild'.  Everything else remianed checked.  I noticed that it was the BeHav unit as well.

Vlk,

Can I send you any logs before they delete themselves(if setting is for 1 day default)?  Or have you been able to duplicate this event?

Also, I had uninstalled Avast 5 free, booted to safe mode, used 'Avast Remover' from download in sticky, then cleaned my registry since I had not done that after reinstalling back to Vista (treid Win7 VGA card wont do the wddm :o ) and updating SP1&2. Then installed with all recomended settings minus 'Script shield'.

This info may have had something to do with all that ??? ...Vista Manager for system maintenance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:49:11 PM by hyjaxltd »