Author Topic: email clients  (Read 4667 times)

osborneuk

email clients
« on: June 26, 2004, 09:32:08 PM »
Being new to avast I'm not sure which email clients are checked on receipt of mail.  Can someone enlighten me or is it just OE?

osborneuk

Re:email clients
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 10:02:07 PM »
ok - now read help and seen how to chnage settings so it works with my email client (Turnpike).

Question is .... I collect email from 4 different ISPs.  How do I set it to check all 4 as it seems there's only 1 enytry allowed for DefaultPopServer=

:(

tedikgb

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »
i am in the same boat.  i have more than one POP server that i retrieve email from.  i use The Bat.  now i use the same SMTP for all outgoing email so that is not an issue, but i am unable to get Avast setup to retrieve email for more than one POP.  

i have gone through the mail wizard every which way possible (manually/automatic/etc...) and it will still not recognise more than one POP server.  it just gets the email for the last POP server i enter when i go through the wizard.  and yes i have the account settings in The Bat all correct.  all accounts SMTP is set to 127.0.0.1 and the outgoing works fine for all accounts as i am using the same server for all accounts.

it is just incoming that will only get email from one POP server.  now there must be a way to manually have Avast retrieve email from more than one POP server.  

i have gone through this forum top to bottom as well as the help section and nowhere can i find that i can just manually enter another couple of POP servers to get downloaded into my mailbox, aside from setting the POP server to what it should be and not having Avast protect it.  

it seems like this is a hot topic and any clear explanation on how to do this would be great.  i am using Avast 4.1 (with the latest update) professional on windows XP using The Bat as a mail client.  TIA

tedikgb

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 07:37:53 PM »
ahhh finally figured it out...a little confusing and off the wall way of doing it, but its actually there.  the ability to get email from multiple POP accounts.  

heres a detailed example that will hopefully clear the air for a few other folks...

lets say i have three ISP (POP3) accounts...

email account #1 = johnwayne1@isp1.net
user: johnwayne1 / POP3: pop.isp1.net

email account #2 = johnwayne2@isp2.net
user: johnwayne2 / POP3: pop.isp2.net

email account #3 = johnwayne3@isp3.net
user: johnwayne3 / POP3: pop.isp3.net

lets say i just decide to setup my 'johnwayne1@isp1.net' as my defualt going through the mail wizard.  then i will have to manually setup the other two.  

simply go into the settings page of your mail client for your second account and set the incoming mail server to '127.0.0.1'.  now to get it to actually retrieve the email you have to change the username.  now depending on your mail client it might be labled differently, but its basically the user name section for authenticating who you are so you can get the email.  your password field will usually be below it.

normally the field would be 'johnwayne2' but you must change it to 'johnwayne2#pop.isp2.net' and thats it.  

just go into the third accounts settings and set its POP3 server to '127.0.0.1' and its username field to 'johnwayne3#pop.isp3.net'

send a test message and you should be on your way...now dont ask how to setup multiple SMTP servers for the different accounts as i only use 1 ;)  HTH and feel free to fire me any questions if your havin toruble.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 07:39:39 PM by tedikgb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »
ok - now read help and seen how to chnage settings so it works with my email client (Turnpike).

Question is .... I collect email from 4 different ISPs.  How do I set it to check all 4 as it seems there's only 1 enytry allowed for DefaultPopServer=

:(

DefaultPopServer is just that the default (the same as your default account in OE) and not the only one checked, they should all be checked if you have the mail protection wizard (MPW)setup correctly.

Check the account details on OE menu Toos>Accounts>select an account and click properties. you should notice in the Server Tab your details have been modified (127.0.0.1) to allow avast to check them first.

If not, ensure that OE is closed and run the MPW again ticking protect all future accounts as well that way new acounts will also be protected.

A visit to the User's FAQ [/url. A visit to the - thread will give you a lot of useful advice and an idea of the information needed to Help you fully.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 07:53:14 PM »
i am in the same boat.  i have more than one POP server that i retrieve email from.  i use The Bat.  now i use the same SMTP for all outgoing email so that is not an issue, but i am unable to get Avast setup to retrieve email for more than one POP.  

I don't use the bat, but have you installed the avast plugin/provider for the bat?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tedikgb

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 07:56:06 PM »
yeah DavidR...Avast is pretty simple for OE setup, but we were having issues with clients 'The Bat' and 'Turnpike' not 'OE'.  Avast is not as friendly with these and will not find all the accounts and set itself up automatically for them.  generally because they dont need virus protection as bad as OE ;)  just kidding, its simply because barely anyone uses the clients we choose.  

your link is right on though and hopefully in combination with my explanation above, Osborneuk will get it sorted out, as well as anyone else using an email client other than OE.  

tedikgb

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 07:57:52 PM »
I don't use the bat, but have you installed the avast plugin/provider for the bat?

i was unaware of such a thing, but that would do the trick as well.  basically if Avast knew how to find my accounts in The Bat it would have been able to do it thorugh the wizard, and it sounds like that plugin will allow it to do just that.

thanx for the heads up on the plugin m8.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 07:59:49 PM by tedikgb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 08:03:18 PM »

i was unaware of such a thing, but that would do the trick as well.  basically if Avast knew how to find my accounts in The Bat it would have been able to do it thorugh the wizard, and it sounds like that plugin will allow it to do just that.

thanx for the heads up on the plugin m8.

From the windows xp add remove function, select avast and click then change and from their you should be able to select (tick) the 'The Bat' option. You may need to be online to do this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 08:08:51 PM »
yeah DavidR...Avast is pretty simple for OE setup, but we were having issues with clients 'The Bat' and 'Turnpike' not 'OE'.  

Just my misunderstanding your first post.
Being new to avast I'm not sure which email clients are checked on receipt of mail.  Can someone enlighten me or is it just OE?

I took that as you were having problems with OE and not as it mean does avast support other email programs.

With Turnpike (never used it), I believe you are on the right track now as it has to be setup manually.