Author Topic: Avast 5 free build 415-Exclusions (in File System Shield) don t seem to work  (Read 4414 times)

Sm3K3R

Exclusions in File System Shield doesnt seem to work.It wasn t working with [377] ,[396] and it doesnt with latest [415] build of Avast 5 free.
So i added my firewall folder path to exclusions ,from File System Shield -Exclusion ,checked R,W and X columns and the real time protection still scans the files in that path.
Anyone else encountering this ?
XP 32 bit SP 3 up to date.

olddog

Exclusions in File System Shield doesnt seem to work.It wasn't working with [377] ,[396] and it doesn't with latest [415] build of Avast 5 free.
So i added my firewall folder path to exclusions ,from File System Shield -Exclusion ,checked R,W and X columns and the real time protection still scans the files in that path.
Anyone else encountering this ?
XP 32 bit SP 3 up to date.

No it works properly for me. I put Eicar.txt in a temporary folder, put the folder path in the File shield Exclusions with all three columns ticked.
I could then rename the file to Eicar.com without Avast tagging it, and even run Eicar.com from a command prompt.
I then removed the folder from the exclusions. Avast tagged the file as soon as I tried to run it from a command prompt.

Using 5.0.415 - 100209-1 XP-Home 32 bit SP3 fully up to date.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
What exactly did you put into the exclusion list?

Sm3K3R

Ok i ve did a picture :

The caching things were disabled now to be able to replicate what i ve observed last night ,after Avast reinstall/upgrade.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:57:43 AM by Sm3K3R »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
The paths are matched exactly as they are.
So, if you enter a long path into the list of exclusions (C:\Program Files), while the access is done through a short path (C:\Progra~1), they won't match. So, it's necessary to use the exact path that's scanned/detected.

Sm3K3R

Ok ,i ve added the exact path and it stopped scanning.
I was thinking that if you add the program path ,the program files themselves are excluded all the way. I thought that "D:\Program Files\" is the same as "D:\PROGRA~1\" , or "D:\PROGRA~1\" location means a page file/memory location ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
No, it's just a piece of text... that's matched against the real path when the file is about to be scanned. It's actually a mask - it may contain wildcards.

Sm3K3R

Ok ,thank you Igor !