Author Topic: Help with my friends laptop  (Read 4164 times)

den21

Help with my friends laptop
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »

Hello

A few days ago my friend had installed Avast 4.8 free home edition on his laptop, after he had done a full scan AVAST had detected a Virus so he wasn't really sure what he needed to do.

I asked him if there was an option for the Virus to be put into the chest but he's not sure what he did and now his Laptop is not working properly, and when he tries to sign on with his user name it freezes at that point.

I suggested if he was able to go into Restore system and try resetting the time before he installed Avast, but it keeps freezing when he tries to sign on.

Can anyone give some direction what to do next

Many thanks

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Help with my friends laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »
Do you have (or are able to get) physical access to the laptop, or would you need to relay the instructions?
If the latter, given your friends' indicated lack of AV awareness, it is going to be difficult.
Some of us would maybe be able to talk him through what do do/good ideas, but relaying it?

I'd be looking at the idea of a BART disk. DrWeb, Avira, and Kaspersky (and a few others) have the files available for free download. He'd need a clean computer with a disk burner to make the disk.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

anothermack

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
When was the last time he made a backup?

Maybe he would not mind sweeping his machine clean and doing a fresh install, which would mean starting up with the Windows cd/dvds.

But I guess he did not backup for some time??

brgds
mack

anothermack

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
Is he able to call the F8 safe booting mode during startup, and then to get avast running/scanning?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
Maybe he would not mind sweeping his machine clean and doing a fresh install, which would mean starting up with the Windows cd/dvds.

That's a bit rash if there are files still left on the comp that they need. If they have an exterior memory then they could save most of their files on it by using an UBUNTU cd and then do a clean install.
If this is an option than say so. I believe I can help with the Ubuntu solution.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

den21

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
Hello

I have got my friends Laptop here with me now, can anyone right now help me what to do i have the laptop switched on working but it still freezes when i try to put his user name on.?

I have never had any problems like this with my PC, so any help would be appreciated.;-)

I was able to use the safe mode F8,  what now

windows advance

safe mode
safe mode networking
safe mode command prompt

enable boot logging

enable VGA mode

last known configuration

directory sevice restore

debugging mode

disbale uto restart

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:28:41 AM by den21 »

bobo1

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
I am certain that you can restore your computer in safemode HIT F8 After power on button while computer is booting, access safe mode no networking. Aministrator default  log in no password. Do SYS restore to the earlest time before you had trouble & reboot. Download & Run malware MBAM free antispyware remove what it finds & then run avast full scan and move anything detected to chest. Also we need to know what operating system you are using xp or vista or 7
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:35:47 AM by bobo1 »

den21

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »
Hello Bobo1

I'am just following your instructions now - my friend has XP windows, i was able to restore back a few weeks and everything is back working as normal now.

Thankyou  ;-)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:11:11 PM by den21 »

bobo1

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
Your welcome,
Still run malwarebytes MBAM Free to ensure there is no spyware on it though. As i use this & Spybot Search and destroy as well good combination to remove spyware. Ie Tracking cookies are harmless anything other is bad.

den21

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
Your welcome,
Still run malwarebytes MBAM Free to ensure there is no spyware on it though. As i use this & Spybot Search and destroy as well good combination to remove spyware. Ie Tracking cookies are harmless anything other is bad.

Hi

Yes i have done a full scan with malwarebytes, No detected harmfull files found - so all is good.

bobo1

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »
Glad to help. you should be clean.
BOBO1