Author Topic: Sounds  (Read 5438 times)

udidwht

Sounds
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:55:28 AM »
I've installed Avast 5 from a clean install from 4.8 and I noticed the sounds weren't working initially even though Avast 5 was set with the sounds enabled. Yellow exclamation marks were shown within the Windows Sounds properties menu. I had to manually set the sounds up. Anyone want to confirm what sounds go with each choice? is this a bug? Using a Windows 7 Basic theme.

System:

Windows 7 32bit build 7600
Pentium D 930 3.0 ghz
4GB RAM PC2-DDR2 5300 Crucial
Asus P5LP-LE motherboard BIOS 3.19
Gigabyte HD Radeon 4670 512mb (CCC 9.10)
Maxtor 300GB SATA HDD
HP 840b DVD/CD-RW DL
DVD-ROM
Thermaltake 430w PSU
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:08:44 AM by udidwht »

wdsnls

Re: Sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
I just upgraded to version 5 on two computers running Vista Home Premium and have the same explanation marks in sounds.

georgermct

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
From what I've learned from installing 5 over 4.8 is the sounds with in Windows Sound settings get messed up.

You need to do a COMPLETE uninstall of 4.8 before upgrading to 5 and clean things out.
If now running 5, uninstall it and then download and run the program below to clean out 5 files.
http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe

After cleaning, reboot and those sound files with the exclamation will be gone.

Now you can reinstall 5 but the sound files wont be back in Windows Sounds...they are put somewhere else now.  I don't know where (maybe some can direct you). 
I don't know why they are not located in Windows Sounds either.  I would love to know why they moved them.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:05:12 AM »
Hi all,

I presume that you mean the sounds look like the image?

I'm pretty sure this is a left over from the uninstall of avast! 4 as the avast! 5 sounds are not bound to the sounds dialog.

As far as I know, the sounds had to be moved because of issues where the sounds were messed up in win 7 and being bound to certain profiles. Having them where they are now, means that this doesn't happen.

(I'll try and find the post from one of the ALWIL team that confirms this)

Now the sound files are located:

XP                       --> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds
Vista (onwards)   --> C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds

ProgramData is a hidden folder so you will have to enable hidden files and folders.

The 1033 folder is where the voiceover sounds are located.

-Scott-

EDIT:

I think this is the reason for them being moved:
Guys, I'd say you're confusing the original poster quite a bit ;) - as I believe he has avast! 4.8, right?

The problem with Windows 7 is that the sounds are bound to a particular profile, or that the profiles change quite often, I'm not completely sure - but the truth is that the sounds are registered only in the profile that was active when avast! was installed, and they may disapper if that changes.

Bob and YoKenny were referring to avast! 5, currently in beta; the problem should be solved there, because avast! doesn't register the sounds as system events, but simply handles them itself (so, they should always be played, independent of the current profile).

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=50819.msg430672#msg430672
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:10:38 AM by spg SCOTT »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »

XP                       --> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds
Vista (onwards)   --> C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds
Sorry but I can't here sounds in my Avast 5 Free Russian in Vista. I see the wav files in ProgramData (scan_completed, threat_detected, virus_db_updated) but can't here them. When I tried to open these wav files in Winamp, there was no any sound.
May the FOSS be with you!

udidwht

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »

XP                       --> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds
Vista (onwards)   --> C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds
Sorry but I can't here sounds in my Avast 5 Free Russian in Vista. I see the wav files in ProgramData (scan_completed, threat_detected, virus_db_updated) but can't here them. When I tried to open these wav files in Winamp, there was no any sound.

Do any other sounds work?

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
Do any other sounds work?
To tell the truth I hear sounds when Avast shows its messages or finishes scanning: clicking, banging (something like this). But in Avast 4.8 I heard a male voice...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »
Hi George,

How about WMP?

so you can hear them in the program?

-Scott-

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
Hi George,

How about WMP?

so you can hear them in the program?

-Scott-
Yes, I can open them in WMP. As I said they sound like that: "diling", "diling-diling" and "diling-diling-diling". Sorry I can't describe these sounds precisely. :(

Maybe there are no male/female voices in Avast 5 Russian? Only "electric bells" are left?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »
I hadn't thought of that, yes, maybe there isn't any voiceover sounds in the Russian version (yet?)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
I hadn't thought of that, yes, maybe there isn't any voiceover sounds in the Russian version (yet?)
What can the developers say?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »
Indeed, that is the question :)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »
Maybe there are no male/female voices in Avast 5 Russian? Only "electric bells" are left?
What can the developers say?
Is anybody here? :-[