Author Topic: Avast 5 services will not start  (Read 23029 times)

mhf

Re: Avast 5 services will not start
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
@ Dieselman : I had the same problem, see this thread : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55232.msg466993#msg466993

and after a few reboots it settled down and all is working fine - keep at it !

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »
Dieselman, have you tried starting the avast service from Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kaniki

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
i saw this on one system all i ended up having to do was reboot a few times and the services started after 3-4 boots not sure why but its running perfect now

the other thing i notice is the scan page all the choices are blank until i reboot 2 times. this happened on 3 systems now

3 or 4 times.. guess i got it lucky. when i had that problem it was just 2 times... i will have to remember that it may take 3 or 4 reboots..

Dieselman

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »
Ok well work was slow so I played around. I am well versed in pc's BTW. Here are the steps I did and NOTHING was successful. There are serious bugs in Avast 5.

1. Uninstalled MSE and rebooted
2. Installed Avast 5 Free (version 5.0.396)
3. Installed fine but GUI says "Fix now" services not started
4. Click on "fix now" and nothing happens
5. Rebooted. Same problem.
6. Rebooted. Same problem.
7. Rebooted. Same problem.
8. Ran the repair tool for Avast and rebooted. Same problem.
9. Uninstalled Avast using the avast uninstaller and rebooted.
10. Installed Avast again and same problem.
11. Rebooted. Same problem.
12. Went into services and tried starting. Got error codes.
13. Rebooted. Same problem.
14. Uninstalled Avast 5 and installed Avast 4.8
15. Works like a charm. Avast 4.8 works.  :)
16. Uninstalled Avast 4.8 with the avast uninstaller and rebooted.
17. Installed Avast 5 and problem is back.
18. Uninstalled Avast 5 with the avast uninstaller.
19. Installed AVG and AVG works. Uninstalled
20. Installed Avira Free and Avira Free works. Uninstalled.
21. Reinstalled MSE and my story has ended.

With all that said and done there is obvious problems with Avast 5.

zfactor

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:00:15 AM »
i now have avast installed on 15 pc's the paid internet security version for various systems. other than the one time i have no issues at all with it. now im not saying its 100% bug free imo all programs have bugs of some sort or another even after years. but for me this is rock solid and perfectly stable and i have yet to have any issues other than the one time.

Dieselman

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 03:08:03 AM »
Well I fix,repair and clean infected pc's for a living. I have built several gaming machines. I am no noob but I have never ever had any trouble installing any sort of security on ANY pc. You have no idea who I am but there isn't much I do not know about pc's. This is a bug and needs to be fixed. There are other posts like mine so I know I am not the only one. I have also tried installing Avast on some of my customer's pc and ending up with the same result. I am sticking with MSE for now. Hopefully the Avast team will fix this. If Avast 4.8 installs and works then so should Avast 5.0. BTW on my home pc's I use KIS. Installing software should never be this complicated.

zfactor

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 03:32:55 AM »
i was never accusing you of not knowing how to. i also do the same for a living. maybe its one specific driver from that system even causing a conflict. even if you do a fresh install it could still be from a driver installed by windows etc.. im not at all saying its you i was saying you are one of the very few with this issue thats all imo i dont think its really at all a widespread bug because very few are having this issue. i agree something they should look at. have you sent the log files to them so they can see whats going on?? i may have missed it but did you attempt to see if its running in safe mode (though i assume you did). i have done more than prob 50+ installs of avast since 5 came out either as a upgrade for my customers running 4.x because of them not wanting to attempt it themselves or people i have recc this to as a free solution plus all of my own systems. no issues yet with any except the one mentioned.

i hope you can get it going i love the new version myself.

Dieselman

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »
I like it to but the Avast team needs to address these issues. Yes I tried safe mode. Either way you shouldn't have to jump threw hopes just to install any kind of software.

crapmaster

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
You're not alone!
I have the same problem.
Have also tried all "magic stuff" suggested. Still not working.
To bad, cause I have been using Avast for a very long time and never ever had any problems.
So far, 5.0 sucks big time with blue screens and no protection the times it does not blue screen.
I'm upgrading to 4.8 and hope it will be supported for a long time.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
You're not alone!
I have the same problem.
Have also tried all "magic stuff" suggested. Still not working.
To bad, cause I have been using Avast for a very long time and never ever had any problems.
So far, 5.0 sucks big time with blue screens and no protection the times it does not blue screen.
I'm upgrading to 4.8 and hope it will be supported for a long time.

1. Which blue screens? There are no known issues that would result in a blue screen in the current version of avast.
2.If you tried running the service using the Administrative Tools -> Services applet, what error message did you get?

crapmaster

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »
After install I reboot the computer as it was needed to complete installation.
When logging in to my account the machine blue screened.
After a new reboot and a new log in I got another blue screen.
I got this in total 4 times and finally the machine started and logged my in. Just to find Avast not working at all.
Since I have not installed anything else recently and haven't had a blue screen for at least a year the only conclusion is that Avast was causing it.

After several wasted hours of trying to get 5.0 to work I'm now happy to be using 4.8 again. This one works!
Not sure I want to try 5.0 after seeing the many users having problems so far.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
Were you using the latest build (5.0.418)?
Do you still have the corresponding minidumps (files in the \windows\minidump folder)? If so, can you please send them to me? (click the envelope icon below my picture).

BTW is this an Acer laptop?

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:48:25 PM by Vlk »

crapmaster

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »
Not sure about the version. Started the update from 4.8 yesterday.

I'm sending you a minidump.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 10:57:57 PM »
crapmaster, the problem should now be solved.
Please download the latest setup package from http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and try again.

Thanks much
Vlk

racerjulie777

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 01:18:25 AM »
The whole Avast 5 thing doesn't work for me.  I've backed down to 4.8 for the time being.  I started another topic about the license key, but my problems completely mirror dieselman's.  In addition, when installing/uninstalling 5, reboot crashes at least 12 times.  I do get a step further each time, but still.....

I'm willing to provide whatever log files you might like to look at, if I haven't already deleted them.

My computer is an HP/Compaq nx9420, running XP Pro, SP3, IE 8, wireless connection, Intel dual core T7200 @ 2Ghz with 2G of RAM...