Author Topic: Avast 5 - Big Disappointment  (Read 21065 times)

TSRI

Avast 5 - Big Disappointment
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:55:52 AM »
Excluding Microsoft, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a software upgrade than I am with Avast 5. 

I'm a computer technician whose been raving about Avast for several years.  I've regularly installed and recommended Avast for home and business users and have purchased numerous licenses for home, business & server installations.  While the old version had a poor design and could be a pain for novices to get registered, it worked well and wasn't a resource hog like Norton or McAfee.  However, Avast 5 and your updated website are a complete disaster and I'm searching for alternative antivirus software to recommend to clients.   Frankly, I didn't believe some of the issues clients were having with Avast until I saw them myself.  For the last week I've had to do no-charge service calls to uninstall this debacle or straighten out the mess it left behind.

The new website layout is hideous. I always thought the first rule of web design was to make your content easy to find and navigate for the average user. Should I really have to spend a half hour digging through it to find out which version I need for a client's platform?  Is it too much to ask you to list which operating systems are supported without having to click 10 different combinations of tabs for each version?  You can't just list your business product's pricing on the web page? Do I really have to click *Buy Now* for each product and get a calculator to figure out a client's cost for AV software?  Also, your prices have always been reasonable, but $400 to protect a Windows 2K Server for a small business owner prices you out of the market.

Here's a short list of errors I've run across in the last month - and this is just during installation!!  These errors have been encountered on multiple computers, the majority of which are running Windows XP and are virus free.

-Accurately entered license keys for Avast 4.8 would prompt *invalid license*
-system lockups during download and/or running of installaiton file. Yes, just downloading the file would crash a system.
-installations that were missing any interface to scan a system:  NO buttons, NO way to initiate a scan while under the *Scan Now* tab.
-Impossible to register!!  I have yet to be able to register Avast 5 on ANY system.  Once all info is completed in the registration tab, clicking *register for free license* does absolutely nothing!
-Clicking the *Offline Registration form* brings me to a web page (http://www.avast.com/program/home-registration.php) that has nothing on it other than:

F8BF98F0-8F80-4C2D-8B9A-3B40064CDE10

Sorry to sound so harsh, but I've gone from a big Avast fan and salesman to someone who will never recommend it again, all in one easy upgrade.

coolsilver

Re: Avast 5 - Big Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:58:32 AM »
Have you contacted Avast support at all during your troubles, tirades, and complaints?

Bottom of each product page on first tab:

For system requirements and detailed information about key technologies, please click here.

Under Technology tab (second tab) at very top.

System requirements

* Processor Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM, 100 MB of free hard disk space
    * Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64 bit)

Pricing for servers haven't changed.

avast! 4 Server Edition
Licenses    1 Year    2 Years    3 Years
1     $ 399.00      $ 578.00      $ 739.00 
2 - 4     $ 339.00      $ 492.00      $ 630.00 
5 - 9     $ 289.00      $ 419.00      $ 536.00 
10 - 19     $ 249.00      $ 359.00      $ 458.00 
20 - 49     $ 209.00      $ 303.00      $ 388.00

Yes there are some issues. I am sure your clients can still use 4.8 if needed and support will help you.

They have been very helpful and patient in resolving these issues along with dealing with other upset customers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:10:59 AM by coolsilver »

Offline abnesaba007

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:34 AM »
Excluding Microsoft, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a software upgrade than I am with Avast 5. 

I'm a computer technician whose been raving about Avast for several years.  I've regularly installed and recommended Avast for home and business users and have purchased numerous licenses for home, business & server installations.  While the old version had a poor design and could be a pain for novices to get registered, it worked well and wasn't a resource hog like Norton or McAfee.  However, Avast 5 and your updated website are a complete disaster and I'm searching for alternative antivirus software to recommend to clients.   Frankly, I didn't believe some of the issues clients were having with Avast until I saw them myself.  For the last week I've had to do no-charge service calls to uninstall this debacle or straighten out the mess it left behind.

The new website layout is hideous. I always thought the first rule of web design was to make your content easy to find and navigate for the average user. Should I really have to spend a half hour digging through it to find out which version I need for a client's platform?  Is it too much to ask you to list which operating systems are supported without having to click 10 different combinations of tabs for each version?  You can't just list your business product's pricing on the web page? Do I really have to click *Buy Now* for each product and get a calculator to figure out a client's cost for AV software?  Also, your prices have always been reasonable, but $400 to protect a Windows 2K Server for a small business owner prices you out of the market.

Here's a short list of errors I've run across in the last month - and this is just during installation!!  These errors have been encountered on multiple computers, the majority of which are running Windows XP and are virus free.

-Accurately entered license keys for Avast 4.8 would prompt *invalid license*
-system lockups during download and/or running of installaiton file. Yes, just downloading the file would crash a system.
-installations that were missing any interface to scan a system:  NO buttons, NO way to initiate a scan while under the *Scan Now* tab.
-Impossible to register!!  I have yet to be able to register Avast 5 on ANY system.  Once all info is completed in the registration tab, clicking *register for free license* does absolutely nothing!
-Clicking the *Offline Registration form* brings me to a web page (http://www.avast.com/program/home-registration.php) that has nothing on it other than:

F8BF98F0-8F80-4C2D-8B9A-3B40064CDE10

Sorry to sound so harsh, but I've gone from a big Avast fan and salesman to someone who will never recommend it again, all in one easy upgrade.

Wow. What a tragedy, he he he, you check that the licenses are legal?
If you look at the forum, still not a 100% final version, and if you could wait to sign up, remember you get 30 day trial, so what's the problem?

Furthermore, as "technical" should know that this is a beta product and as all beta, or pre-release still have difficulties, and instead of complaining brings something useful to the forum so they can avoid such problems.

Everyone believes it is technical because he knows computers to format and install "windows xp ue" and use any antivirus cracked

If you put in a "Windows SP3 legitimate" good date, you'll see that many problems are solved.

Finally, as a "technician" do not recommend you to anyone. Because nothing, the world will close and you throw the towel.

I do not want silly discussions, try what I say to review the license and use original xp sp3, vista or w7.

Greetings.

coolsilver

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:38:32 PM »
Avast 5 is a fully released product.

The issues are being resolved and tested through a beta/pre-release process.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
yeah, the beta testing is over... no need to use such arguments, Avast 5 is final, with a few things still being worked at  (normal for a new product), but it's final. On the other hand all that bashing from the OP here cannot be taken seriously  ::)

mtaylor

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
abnesaba007 - Maybe you misunderstood TSRI or didn't realize that 5 is out of beta and is on the site for download as the mainstream product (free).  Or maybe I should assume by your "he he he" that you are only 15 years old and don't get it.

That said, I assume you really don't represent Avast in any way, or I hope not.  Specifically if you are alluding that TSRI is running cracked XP software and that would be the reason he is not able to register with the GUI.  I too have several machines running Avast, as well as friends/family/clients.  The register button only works on a few machines and there is no apparent reason why some work and others do not.
I too attempted to navigate to the register offline page and was presented with a similar set of numerals like those posted by TSRI.  If Avast or you are assuming that the code page being presented is an indicator that there is a problem with a Windows license code, then I guess I had better contact Dell about this machine that I *just* pulled out of the box and activated with XP Pro installed.
Furthermore, we all accept that when something is in Beta there will be inherent problems, but time is money, period.  It's not about throwing in the towel (I think that's is what you were trying to say), it's about cutting your losses and moving on, that's just how business works.  I think that I can speak for a lot of small business owners and consultants when I say that if we didn't sign up to Beta test a product and it is being touted as a fully qualified product, then we expect it to work as stated.
Bottom line, you like other forum trolls offered nothing to rectify the situation and made allegations.  I don't know TSRI and I think "he" may have been a little angry when posting, but the facts are the facts - period.

Any admins out there that can explain any of this, I am all ears and you should be able to access my email address if you prefer to just shoot off an email VS a post. 

Thanks in advance, you still have a great product but I think the ball was dropped on this release.

MT.

mtaylor

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »
To anyone interested:

After downloading and installing the .415 pre-release update (from one of the top posts in the forum), upgrading from the site's public download version - .316?, the problems with the registration have been cleared. The update appeared to have installed (correctly) over the previous version.

I assume that something was being read incorrectly since "free" software cannot really be pirated - now assuming that the code information was for Avast, not MS products.

Thanks to the people behind the scenes that corrected the issues.

MT.

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »
On the other hand all that bashing from the OP here cannot be taken seriously  ::)

It should if you want to stay in business!
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
On the other hand all that bashing from the OP here cannot be taken seriously  ::)

whose business  ??? I'm a user here, I don't work with/for Avast  :D ... and on a side note, there has been quite a few "top techies" threatening Avast recently, talking about their own customers and the impact etc...etc...LOL  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:47:24 PM by Logos »

gizbar

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
Maybe the OP should have done a bit more extensive testing before recommending it to his clients?

I've used version 5 on 2 different machines and 3 operating systems, through beta and release, and I haven't seen any of these problems. I'm not saying that they don't exist, otherwise there wouldn't be any need for these forums!

I've recommended version 4.8 to many people, but I'm still scanning and testing version 5 myself, so not recommending version 5 just yet.

Still not seeing any problems so far, and seems to be pretty stable to me.

Think OP has already made his mind up about Avast, as he's not been back to reply to others' comments.

regards, Gizbar.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
Think OP has already made his mind up about Avast, as he's not been back to reply to others' comments

yeah, this too has happened a few times since V5 was released, I guess they feel better afterward  ;)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
The OP only made a post with complaints and his decision to move on. He never asked for any help/support here. Such people are not worth our time ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

gizbar

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »
Yep Red, you just can't help some people!  ;D

They complain about something and then disappear before anybody can help them to a solution...

Best regards, Gizbar.

TSRI

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
Coolsilver, I normally carry version 4.8 on a USB drive for installation.  The original problems started with 4.8 not accepting valid license keys or new free keys after various system reformats/Windows re-installations.  When I went to the website, I noticed the new version (which is NOT listed as a BETA) and figured myself or my clients were installing an outdated version of Avast.

abnesaba007 I can't understand half of what you said, but none of the problems stem from using illegal licenses. And why the hell would I do that when Avast offers a free version??

mtaylor, you seem to be the only one who *got* it.

Logos, your comprehension isn't too hot.  Nowhere did I threaten Avast. I simply pointed out that technicians like myself are responsible for many more installations and purchases of Avast than the average user.

Gizbar, the OP DID do extensive testing before recommending Avast to his clients - more than 5 years worth.  Avast has been one of a handful of products I could legitimately rave about on its merits alone - up until a few months ago.  After searching the knowledgebase, it appears others have had similar problems with no real fix.

Yes, my OP was a big ass complaint.  And a legitimate one.  For the life of me, I can't see how a company who previously produced such a solid piece of software could release a version with so many apparent bugs.  If the problems I encountered were on one or 2 systems, I might call it a fluke.  But that's not the case.  This is on par with Symantec or Cisco acquisitions.

john36

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
On the other hand all that bashing from the OP here cannot be taken seriously  ::)

I agree 100%.

Some people just can't take criticism.

Are we not allowed to express our opinions of a product?

I realize this is a "help" forum, but I think opinions should be welcomed.

Just my "opinion"........................