Author Topic: Avast 5 - Big Disappointment  (Read 21116 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 - Big Disappointment
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
On the other hand all that bashing from the OP here cannot be taken seriously  ::)

It should if you want to stay in business!

I agree 100%.

Some people just can't take criticism.

Are we not allowed to express our opinions of a product?

I realize this is a "help" forum, but I think opinions should be welcomed.

Just my "opinion"........................

you agree with what ??? read this first http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55395.msg468350#msg468350  ::)

john36

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
Logos,

Here is what I agree with.

A poster should be able to post his or her opinion on the board, without another poster saying something like you said, about the OP.

So if I express my disapproval or state all the problems with a product, I am, in your words "bashing" the product.  I think not!

And just why can't the OP be taken seriously?

Only Fanboys allowed?

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »
Why do you call us fanboys ???

Our issue is that the OP could have acted in a more decent, cooperative way.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »
Only Fanboys allowed?

no, but people posting with serious arguments, expecting replies, discussing these replies etc... YES, the rest can go to hell afaic  ::) and don't call me a fanboy  >:(

I'm a computer technician
... allow me to raise a smile, I've read this a hundred times from one post users/bashers since the release of V5

The new website layout is hideous
...how interesting  :D

people not browsing the threads, not seeing that many issues have been answered and solved for many etc...and all this purposely serving as a pretext to post a ....one time and useless post  :D

edit, I missed that  ;D
Logos, your comprehension isn't too hot.  Nowhere did I threaten Avast. I simply pointed out that technicians like myself are responsible for many more installations and purchases of Avast than the average user

surprising post from someone who doesn't seem good at solving anything at all, Mr Technician  ;D careful not to contaminate your customers' systems with your brain locks  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:09:41 AM by Logos »

zfactor

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
i agree i hate forums that get off onto matter not releated to the issue at heart. when the threads start going way off track and nothing gets resolved etc. imo this is a support forum and should be kept that way. maybe there could be a place for off topic or rants then those can go there and if people dont want to read them they dont have to. just my 2 cents

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »
Yes, my OP was a big ass complaint.  And a legitimate one.  For the life of me, I can't see how a company who previously produced such a solid piece of software could release a version with so many apparent bugs.  If the problems I encountered were on one or 2 systems, I might call it a fluke.  But that's not the case.  This is on par with Symantec or Cisco acquisitions.
Hey TSRI, I read your post carefully.  It was well-thoughtout and well presented.  Alwil should embrace your form of criticism with open arms, for it is the criticsms, not the accolades, that make a company better.
As for your reference to Symantec, I am betting that you know well that Vince Steckler joined Alwil last summer as its new CEO.  Previously, Vince served as senior vice-president of consumer sales at Symantec. (For some reason, most of the press release links alluding to this have been taken off the web, but here is one still left.)  To be honest, I was quite put off by the news that Alwil operations were handed over to Steckler, as I am not a fan of Symantec.  My fear now is that while you can take the boy out of Symantec, you can't take the Symantec out of the boy.  Most of the criticisms you wrote about reminded me too much of the nightmare days of Symantec.

TSRI

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 01:24:58 AM »
Snagglegrain, I was really thinking more of Ghost software years ago and how it was a fantastic product until bought out by Symantec to become a Norton brand.  And how Linksys routers have suffered in quality and service since being acquired by Cisco. 

I wasn't aware of the management issue and can't say I've ever heard Vince's name.  My comments really weren't directed at a particular person.

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 01:51:19 AM »
The reason I said I was betting you knew that Steckler was brought on as CEO last summer is because a lot of folks who pay attention to computer security also read the press releases issued by the software developers whose products they use and recommend.  Let's just say, it wasn't a well-kept secret when they hired Steckler.  Alwil was quite pleased.  Maybe he is doing good things for this company.  Man, I hope so, because like you, I have used avast for a long time and I tout its merits to everyone who will listen.  But I see glimpses of things that look unsettling.  Some good mixed in with some bad.  I think Alwil is at a crossroads.
Sorry to sound so harsh, but I've gone from a big Avast fan and salesman to someone who will never recommend it again, all in one easy upgrade.
Only thing about your post that I want to comment more on is the above.  I would think that as a long time satisfired user, you might cut avast a little more slack.  Give them a bit longer to make things right.  If they have been your AV of choice these last few years, maybe (just maybe) you owe them the benefit of the doubt on this one.   :) 

Walt_Moose

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 03:04:48 AM »
I see a lot more positive then negative input on Avast 5.
I went ahead on my own with the free Avast 4.8 (30 day to register) an even before I tried to register within the first week of having it on my system I saw update to Avast 5 was available. So updated and used it a couple more days and was pleased with. I had the glitch with registering but got it taken care of and had help offered here by others.
Sure this forum is a community where you can speak even with displeasure of but maybe cut them at Avast more slack because they are here like I think the people here on this forum are to Help.
Myself I'm more then Happy with Avast 5 and would like to thank them for their efforts.
Cheers
Walt Moose

coolsilver

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 04:10:16 AM »
Hmm, to be honest I'm not sure why your 4.8 installations had issues with registration. I did mention the issues this release has been put through a beta-like test phase as the issues are resolved. The current test version is 5.0.415 as others mentioned.

Yes this is a full released product and NOT an actual beta. The public released version is 5.0.396 on the site.

I am also not an Avast employee but a user. I am unaware of any issues with licenses being a problem with 4.8. However, new licenses from the site are for version 5. I'm sure if needed Avast Support can get you a correct key for the 4.8 to use your paid professional licenses until you feel comfortable to try version 5 again.

When you are ready simply install 5 over 4.8 and those licenses will migrate so you get the full time of the licenses.

I agree it has some issues that probably should have kept it from being released so soon. I feel confident in saying the issues Avast had seen at the time were of small enough scale or unknown issues until a large enough sample group made it a reoccurring problem.

I apologize for any ill-spoken words. I understand your frustration as during the actual beta phase there were many times I had switched back to 4.8 until the next build. Some of the issues were Blue Screens and hard freezes. I even had one system needed a full format recovery due to firewall driver issues that since been fixed.

If I can give any assistance, I will be happy to give some advice.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:13:04 AM by coolsilver »

PAL10

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 04:33:23 AM »
    WoW coolsilver I am very impressed.........you may have only 148 posts, but I bet you have helped a lot of people. You sound very professional and I am sure Avast is glad to have you hanging around here. I will look for you if I have anymore questions. I won`t mention any names but I think you could advise a few others here on how to be helpfull. These people who seem to have a huge amount of posts just seem to be bashing and criticizing posters who are mad because of problems, who are not praising Avast or just have legitimate issues that they would like Avast techs to see. Do they have this large amount of posts because they are helping people...or just because they think they are the forum police. Keep up the good work coolsilver........

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 04:48:45 AM »
   WoW coolsilver I am very impressed.........you may have only 148 posts, but I bet you have helped a lot of people. You sound very professional and I am sure Avast is glad to have you hanging around here. I will look for you if I have anymore questions. I won`t mention any names but I think you could advise a few others here on how to be helpfull. These people who seem to have a huge amount of posts just seem to be bashing and criticizing posters who are mad because of problems, who are not praising Avast or just have legitimate issues that they would like Avast techs to see. Do they have this large amount of posts because they are helping people...or just because they think they are the forum police. Keep up the good work coolsilver........
PAL10, well said!  Especially the part about one of the more prolific posters who I see here on this thread making a fool of himself.  I don't visit this forum all that often, but guys like DavidR and Tech and Tarq57 (to name but a few!) are a pleasure to interact with and are extremely knowledgable and helpful.  Not so much with this other individual, and everyone knows who we are talking about.  And I agree with you, coolsilver appears to be another one this forum can be proud of.  :)

To the other guy: chill out.  You should take some time off.  You're not helping.  You are a detriment.

kaniki

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:15 AM »
I have seen some of the problems that have been on version 5. I started using it on .377 version. With that version I ran into the problem that it would install, but after a reboot, the computer would constantly reboot and even get blue screens of death. XP would do the rebooting while vista got the blue screens. It worked fine before the reboot, it only happened after the reboot. I also noticed that this mainly happened on installs that were updated from 4.8. This problem was fixed with the newer versions or updates to version 5.

As for not receiving registration info. Don't ask me why but my one computer had the problem that it accepted the registration code and even said that it was goo until 2011, but it also said that it was not registered. How it excepted the registration code and good till next year and not be registered is beyond me. What I did find was that there was a glitch somewhere between the BIOS and the OS and the antivirus. I reset the BIOS and then did my normal changes to it and then it started working fine. What started the whole thing was i took out one of my ram chips to lower the ram to 512MB to load 98 SE on it for a minute, after i put the chip back in and put XP back up, that was when the problem started. I have a duel boot drive and removable hard drive racks.. PS. RAM tested fine and there has been no problems since the BIOS has been reset.

Another problem that i have noticed is with the new release or update to the program, after installing it, the AV would glitch out and even the main screen info would disappear. I am talking about the info that tells what things are in areas like the scans. custom scan, scan removable media, scan hard drives, etc. The pictures were there but all writing was gone. This happened right after version 5 was installed. I also found that rebooting the PC 2 times instead of 1 time seemed to clear everything up and everything started working properly.

As for the web site.. I agree about one thing. If you are going to put up a new site, then that is fine, but make sure that the site is done in full. I found some invalid links on pages 2 weeks after they changed the site and released the final release of version 5.

Another thing that I did not like that they did in version 5 was removing some of the abilities to ask the user for input about what to do with a file when a virus is found.. it is now down to more like just delete or move to chest. If something is not a virus when found on your own computer, but registers as a virus, the program automatically moves it to the chest or deletes it. Even if it is a false positive. I like the option to say ignore like they had in version 4.8

As for the remark about telling people about it and recommending it and then having trouble. Well, yes you do recommend it..  that is good, but you can still install and still download version 4.8 If you are not 100% sure that a version is up to standards yet, then it is partly your fault for not checking the software out before you recommended it. I work computers everyday and fix them too. when version 5 first came out as a final release, I did some testing to make sure it was stable and that it was not going to cause major problems for the end user before i ever recommended anyone installing version 5. In fact I told people not to install it just yet after i found out that there was the whole rebooting problem because of the behavior shield glitch thing. and as such, if you are a good tech, then you should know about these thing before you ever recommend any piece of software to any person. If you don't know the common basic problems or try to find out basics, then you should never recommend that software until you do. and recommending that software and then it causing problems because of ones own ignorance of the software is ones own fault.

The remark was made that there was system lockups during the download of the file.. downloading the file is just like any other and if there is system lockups just downloading the file, then that means there is problems with the PC, not the program that is being downloaded as the program being downloaded has yet to be run or installed in any way.. You might want to take that into consideration before blaming a program for being poorly written when it has not even been installed so there is no way that it could be causing the problem. once the install is started, that is a different story, but not before.

Another small thing that I do not like. If you register by the built in form in version 5, it automatically put the code right on the PC, which is good, but does not give it to you in a email too.  You have do a request to have it sent to you by email. that should be done automatically.

Personally, I am patient and avast is no different then any other program. There will be glitches just like any other program has and you have to give them time to get them all out. It is a new program and completely re written so of course there is going to be some problems. The fact of the matter is if no one says anything, then the company can not fix the problems that they do not know about, but on the same note, a user should not be crude about problems that they have and should tell the company in a nice way.

I believe that i covered all the main complaints that were initially complained about plus some new ones..

coolsilver

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 07:27:15 AM »
Avast Free registration really doesn't need an email to send to you. It's free. If you need to ever fully reinstall after just register again and you will get another full year from that date.

Avast Pro and AIS you get a license file via email to load into your avast. The process is a bit different as the code is now a license file. Overall the same license file can be used to reactivate the product if need to reinstall avast after a system format.

A lot of those bugs were in beta and some after release. I know a lot of the BSOD bugs were resolved. Some most recently discovered have been partially or fully fixed. Only Avast team knows which bugs are still valid unless confirmed by other users with like system config (OS, Service Pack, Other software that may conflict)

Walt_Moose

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:55 AM »
kudos kaniki